View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06   #8
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
In the non-medical world: to err is human
In the medical would: to err is criminal

Hospitals now have several safety systems in place in the operating room. Some have gone as far as doing an x-ray on every surgical patient (one day IF they ever develop a cancer, a lawyer will blame that single xray as the cause? ).
Remember, this is the perspective of a surgeon...me.

We count all instruments and sponges twice....no 'towels' are brought onto the patient/operative field because they have no radiopaque markers in them.
I generally will hold one of the sponges in my hand...hiding it if you will so that the counts are off by 1 sponge...this accomplishes 2 very important things:
1. if the nurses tell me the count is off by 1, they're correct and that is a great thing and I give back the hidden sponge.
2. if the nurses tell me the counts are correct, we have a huge problem and we then do either re-explore the patient or x-ray the part of the body we were operating on....I STILL HAVE THE HIDDEN SPONGE!! so the count CAN'T be correct.

We go to great lengths to insure safety...just can't deviate from the rules. When surgeons shortcut the system, disaster can happen.

ss

Great post!

"Trust, but Verify!"