Thread: E & E Kit
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 18:11   #4
jatx
Area Commander

Okay, I understand that you are asking for a "generic" packing list, while TR has pointed out the necessity of packing for a more limited set of contingencies. As a civilian, this bag might spend most of the time stowed in your car, but should be light enough and discrete enough to carry along if you choose. If I were to prepare such a bag for my own use, I would probably be envisioning its use during

1. Natural disasters
2. Civil disturbances
3. Vehicle accidents
4. "Lost in the woods" type scenarios

I would probably choose a well-organized daypack or messenger's bag in a dark, non-mil color.

The "Survive!" thread has many suggestions for a kit of essentials that could fit in a thigh pocket or small tin. Because I don't usually wear trousers with thigh pockets, though, I won't treat those items as "first line" per se. I will count that kit as one item.

The key things I need to be able to do in the above situations are:

1. Handle common injuries
2. Stay warm
3. Stay hydrated
4. Defend myself
5. Keep moving

So, to add to the bare essentials in the survival kit, i would add:

1. Space blanket - low bulk; useful for preventing shock in injured people; good at retaining body heat; useful as a shelter; possible use as signaling device (shiny side)

2. Go-Lite tarp - waterproof and light; sets up and breaks down quickly; also useful for making a litter if necessary

3. Mioxx water filter - covered elsewhere on this site; very light and compact; can be used to sterilize a wound

4. Nalgene water bottle

5. Collapsible trekking poles - greatly lessen fatigue over long distances; decrease chance of injury if uneven footing

6. Dry socks in a ziploc bag - in same bag enclose copies of DL, CHL, passport, insurance card, key credit card and phone numbers

7. LED torch w/ strobe function

8. Four extra 10 rd. CMC mags for my 1911

9. Lightweight, packable rain shell

10. Leatherman Charge multitool (not usually on my person)

11. Large bag of Pemmican - low nutritional value but lightweight and much better at staving off hunger than energy bars

Now that I've made myself a big, juicy target, I'll quiet down and let the QPs tear this apart.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote