Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Attention to Orders (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Vietnam vet awarded Silver Star after 45 years (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36879)

BMT (RIP) 02-18-2012 03:56

Vietnam vet awarded Silver Star after 45 years

Better late than never!!

http://www.army.mil/article/73891/

BMT

JJ_BPK 02-18-2012 07:41

Congratulation to Sgt Taylor.. :lifter:lifter

SF_BHT 02-18-2012 08:43

Congrats Sgt Taylor.

Dragbag036 02-18-2012 08:58

Congratulation after all these years. A true "QUIET" professional.

Richard 02-18-2012 09:40

Taylor was a Medic on A-302, 2nd Bn, 3rd Mobile Strike Force Command.

Congratulations on receiving your long overdue recognition. :lifter

f50lrrp 02-18-2012 12:02

He was at B-36 before me. Good job to whomever sponsored the bill to get him his Silver Star!

Mike:lifter

PRB 02-18-2012 19:09

Great deal for him and for the Regmt....we've always had great soldiers....
I know damn well when the lights start to go out I'll be thinking of two things, one is private, the other will be of a team room off of Son Tay rd and the guys that made that place alive.

tom kelly 02-18-2012 21:33

Sgt. Taylor:

Congratulations Sgt. Taylor, and good luck. TK

alright4u 02-19-2012 03:39

Well Done.

It is no easy task assualting a superior force in their own bunker complex and taking it. The SS was well deserved. This is rare to get higher then a BSM after all these years. I was surprised at the SOA banquet this past year when certain pilots and crew received about 20 awards.

Penn 02-19-2012 09:38

Congratulations Sgt. Taylor. Warm regards.

Red Flag 1 02-19-2012 10:13

Congratulations Dr. Taylor! Long overdue.

RF 1

ghp95134 06-16-2013 00:09

Tom Myerchin

[Slightly off-topic] The article referenced COL Tom Myerchin in the last couple of inches.

COL Myerchin died last year in May 2012, almost three months after Dr. Taylor was honored; his USMA Obituary:
Quote:

...He served as an “A” Detachment Commander with the 7th Special Forces Group in the Dominican Republic expedition and later commanded an “A” Detachment at Loc Ninh and a Mobile Strike Battalion (Mike Force) with the 5th Special Forces Group in Vietnam. While there, he also was assigned to the Phoenix Program. ...
I have a photo my father took at Camp Widder (An Loc / Hon Quan) in '66 or '67 which I will post on Monday. I saw the same photo in a book some years back and the caption identified the men as members of the Phoenix Program; the captain second from the right is CPT Tom Myerchin.

--ghp95134

ghp95134 06-17-2013 17:03

Tom Myerchin

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for this off-topic post in a thread dedicated to SGT Taylor. I tried to create a new thread in the "TAPS" section for COL Tom Myerchin (mentioned in the article about SGT Taylor), but I do not have privileges in that AO. Moderator, if not too much trouble, can you either give me temporary posting privileges or move this post?

I've attached the photo I mentioned last Friday.

The two photos were taken by my father, the book page .... "borrowed" from Shelby Stanton's Special Forces at War: An Illustrated History, Southeast Asia 1957-1975, p. 233
Online source.

Although identified as "Operation Phoenix" my father responds,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Power
...All of these guys are members of B-33. We were all involved in long range patrols, but I don't recall "Phoenix" being assigned to any of them. I have searched for the names, but can't find anything. The tall guy back left was our first sgt., the one on the right is Sgt. Pat Crowley. I can not recall the other names. I thought for sure I'd remember the 1st Sgt. ...
...I guess they gave the name [Phoenix] after I departed in 12-66. The [sanitized] ammo was standard issue for CIA and troops operating across the borders. It was designed so as not to point fingers at a particular government. We in Det. B-33 were not issued this ammo.

[follow up] This photo was taken inside our compound as you can see the water tower in the background. Left to right; Tom Morgan, S-1; 1st Sgt., ? , Tom Myerchin, S5; Pat Croley ( I misspelled his name before). Maybe after I print some of the slides, I'll have some more pictures. The names are hard to remember. I didn't take the fore-site to write names on the back of pictures after I was back in the states. Over there we didn't do it because of MI involved and there were no rosters like we had in Thailand.

Regards,
--ghp95134

cbtengr 06-17-2013 18:49

Congratulations on a well deserved and long overdue honor.

Trapper John 06-17-2013 18:55

Congratulations, SGT Taylor. Long overdue. {Salute}