Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Appalachian Trail - Thru Hiking ME to GA (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35582)

JustaSupportGuy 10-22-2011 20:49

Appalachian Trail - Thru Hiking ME to GA

Upon completion of a upcoming rotation to ASTAN, I will be parting ways with the Army. My next big adventure will be taking me from Maine to Georgia on the Appalachian Trail. This is an estimated 167 day trip, which I hope to cut down to 150 with any luck.

I'm a active hiker, but only on weekends. I need some advice from anyone who has done long distance hikes. Any suggestions on gear such as boots, tent, pack... whatever advice you have would be helpful.

I have read many articles on this subject but I'm looking to get opinions from others that can explain their reasoning for the choice of gear they use.

Thanks in advance for your input. Also the time-frame for this hike will be as follows: Leaving Maine in the first week of June and arriving in Georgia mid-late October.:lifter

Pete 11-06-2011 16:15

Just did a section this past weekend

Just did a 24 mile section this past weekend - Dennis Cove to Hwy 19E.

I'll admit, Saturday kicked my butt.

The trail is well marked and easy to stay on - but intersections to side trails are not. The leaves on the side trails are not mashed down right now so it's easy to blow past a tree with a small blue mark. The Thru Hiker's Companion is well worth the money. Pre plan, employ jump boxes for changing out gear if need be - Oh, heck read the book

Saw three southbound thru hikers this weekend. They were averaging 25 miles a day and had about 400 miles to go. Man, they moved like they had no ruck on their back at all. I asked "Pinch" about the cold weather. He said he'd picked up his cold weather gear a while back - Dude, the guys pack was no bigger than an assault pack. Damn, where was he hiding everything?

The A/T ain't humpin' a large ALICE pack. Quality, lightweight gear - and get in shape.

Good luck.

mark46th 11-07-2011 09:08

The best book I have read on preparing for the Appalachian Trail is "A Walk in the Wood's" by Bill Bryson....:rolleyes:

Buffalobob 11-08-2011 14:08

In the W Va and Md section, the trail is well marked and water and huts are available. On weekends during the summer the trail will be well populated.

JoeEOD 11-08-2011 18:15

Vermont AT

I live in central Vermont near the AT. Give me a heads up on your schedule and I can meet you for a re-supply drop or a hot shower.

PedOncoDoc 11-08-2011 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeEOD (Post 423613)
I live in central Vermont near the AT. Give me a heads up on your schedule and I can meet you for a re-supply drop or a hot shower.

Hopefully you won't get offended if he turns you down on the offer to meet him for a hot shower. :D

In all seriousness - one of the things I've come to appreciate about this forum is the willingness of members to help each other both online and in person.

dollarbill 11-09-2011 09:25

"Ultra lite" the only way to go!

About two years ago swithched all of my hiking equipment out for ultra lite. Sir, it is the only way to go. A good site to visit is www.backpacker.com it has some good general info.
Good luck

mark46th 11-10-2011 14:52

Yup. nuthin' like 80 pounds of ultra light to make things easier...:D

albeham 11-10-2011 20:10

Heading out this weekend with a bunch of scouts and ham radio, MD section HF north for a few miles..10-20?

When you start keep us alerted to your needs etc, drops, etc.

AL

Yes not 80 lbs just 35 lbs now...

Buffalobob 11-11-2011 06:37

Quote:

Heading out this weekend with a bunch of scouts and ham radio, MD section HF north for a few miles..10-20?
Makes sure you set up your radio just outside the wire of the supersecret squirrel site there south of I-70. If you want to have a lot of fun, place a bundle in the culvert at the gate which has the closed circuit TV cameras watching.. The guys with guns who walk around all day long on the building roof need the exercise of running down the hill to see what you put in the culvert. :D

mark46th 11-11-2011 09:05

:D:D:D

JustaSupportGuy 11-11-2011 22:25

Thanks for the offers guys, I might take you up on it. Its nice to have people willing to help out along the way.

albeham 11-13-2011 17:11

Now I can't do that...You gave me away...or did I already do it....

It was a cold ass night Friday..Saturday and Sunday good weather. A lot of folks night hiking, ride into a bunch of college girls......by themselves...if only the scout want with me.....gave them guidance....later some how that camped at the same location..wonder how that happen..they like the boys..reminded them of there little brothers!!!!!! LMFAF!!!!

AL