Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Wake-up Call (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27481)

The Reaper 02-03-2010 20:47

Wake-up Call

On the topic of preparedness, but slightly different, consider this.

After you prepare for a fire, tornado, etc., and have your drills down, think about what you need to do in the event of an intruder (or multiples) in your home.

What is your drill?

Who else is in the home and what are their responsibilities?

How do you protect them?

Can your spouse use a firearm to hold a door or hallway/defend herself?

How will you notify your family that there is an intruder and to initiate the reaction plan?

Do you have near and far rally points?

Do you have a signal for the family to flee the house for the rally point?

Do you have a trusted neighbor who will quickly let you/your family in in the middle of the night and protect them?

What gear would you need to protect yourself, defend your home, and ensure a positive outcome for you and yours?

Where is it now?

How will you carry it?

How long does it take you to gather and don it?

How long does it take you to identify that there is an intruder, initiate your drill, and be ready to engage?

Just a few random thoughts since I was recently asked if I had a plan. Admittedly, this is likely a low-probability event, but the consequences of being unprepared are huge.

Anyone want to join in?

TR

Richard 02-03-2010 21:18

Although I live in a 'safe' suburban area, the boys are grown and gone, and it is just my wife and I -
  • House has high-security windows/doors
  • High-pitched beep sounds if door/window is opened (anytime day or night)
  • Shotgun (loaded + box of extra shells) is next to my side of the bed behind wing-back chair at the far end of the house from main entrance down long hallway
  • Telephone (portable) is on the nightstand next to my side of the bed with 911 set on #1 on speed-dial and speaker phone
  • Master bathroom off of master bedroom is furthest room at end of house and easily secured
  • Master bedroom has French Doors (with secured exterior security gate) which exit to interior patio and back yard
;)

Richard

Paslode 02-03-2010 21:19

I believe the small size (1500-2000sq ft. on average) and configuration of the dwellings in my area limit the options. In my case it's 3 bedroom ranch, front and back entrances are at one end of the house and across from each other.

One positive is that you could cover both entrances easily and remain concealed. And it might while the kids jump out the window to the front lawn.

At present, crime in the area is very low and most burglaries/intrusions happen in the day while folks are away and the perps are tend to be workers for contractors, lawn care, maid services, etc.

I'll ponder it.

HowardCohodas 02-03-2010 21:20

I recently attended a seminar sponsored by the FAA on survival. It seems that us private pilots sometimes land away from the airport and survive the crash. It's then that we do dumb things that end up in the death of the pilot and passengers.

The most significant perspective I gained is a consciousness, if not obsessiveness, for the weight of my survival gear. IIRC, I spoke of this in a thread regarding some rain gear that was recommended. I think weight is a useful focus for survival gear whether it is for your flight (pilot) or your flight (escape).

Because I am a CCP instructor, I am also concerned with first responder gear. I currently have much of the gear SWATSURGEON recommended in other threads with me at all times. This gear used to be just tossed in my range bag, however I sometimes make an unplanned stop at the range and may not have my range bag with me. I have been experimenting with a messenger bag which is on me quite a lot of the time and with me always. Please don't laugh too loudly, but part of my inspiration came from watching new episodes of 24 after a 2-3 year hiatus. Some call it my "Jack Bag." :D

As a challenge to myself, I am trying to integrate what I learned from First Medical Responder School, SWATSURGEON and the FAA survival school. Weight and size are two important criteria. I look forward to this thread providing insights for my journey.

The Reaper 02-03-2010 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 312598)
Although I live in a 'safe' suburban area, the boys are grown and gone, and it is just my wife and I -
  • House has high-security windows/doors
  • High-pitched beep sounds if door/window is opened (anytime day or night)
  • Shotgun (loaded + box of extra shells) is next to my side of the bed behind wing-back chair at the far end of the house from main entrance down long hallway
  • Telephone (portable) is on the nightstand next to my side of the bed with 911 set on #1 on speed-dial and speaker phone
  • Master bathroom off of master bedroom is furthest room at end of house and easily secured
  • Master bedroom has French Doors (with secured exterior security gate) which exit to interior patio and back yard
;)

Richard

Good physical security preparations.

I take it that you plan to hole up in your bedroom, if possible, and defend from there while awaiting LE response?

How will you identify intruders and acquire targets in the darkness?

Do you own less than lethal weapons?

Is your cell phone in the bedroom, in case your landline is cut?

How will you restrain/detain apprehended or wounded intruders while waiting for law enforcement? What if they decline to wait?

Do you have a trauma kit handy for yourself, your family members, or wounded intruder(s)?

Do you have trousers and shoes handy, or plan to don them before clearing the house?

TR

Penn 02-03-2010 21:40

Now that we live 5 miles from Trenton, and must lock our doors for the first time in 10 years, we have a basic plan in place:
1. 12 gauge Remington my side, loaded, safety on, wife need training, but has shot guns prior.

2. .45 Glock my side, 5 clips @ 13 round

3. All Cell Phones now on speed dial - Tx Richard

4. Stay in the room, catty corner from the door, protect our corner- Tx TS

5. If no LEO arrive within 10 minutes (Station is 3 away) exit back roof and exit the area.

6. If the SHTF we exit the whole AO for my brothers place in the upper Bucks Co, PA

Kiss prinicple

LarryW 02-03-2010 22:16

My plan needs a lot of work. I live on the main hwy in a rural (damned little) town about 2hrs from DC, so the risks of a home invasion is real.

I have a 60 pound shepherd/lab mix who is especially territorial. Someone barging in will have to deal with her. That gives me some time to get out the 16ga, 870 loaded with slugs. I have a .38 Special at the nightstand. No NV/IR system, and if it comes to fight or flight, then it's fight like the Alamo.

As for dealing with injuries, I'm doomed. So's the intruder, though.

Great points to consider, sir. I will take action.

craigepo 02-03-2010 22:17

Damnit, I had been comfortably numb until this thread(which is remarkably stupid on my part).

Richard---what is/are the criteria for a "high-security" window, and do most modern energy-efficient windows qualify?

Next question---Living in a very remote area, what would be a good STANO-esque device for the ground outside the house(nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away, I own 230 acre farm)? When I was a kid, farmers who didn't want people sneaking into their fishing ponds would buy a couple of jackasses and turn them loose in the pasture. The jackasses would bray like crazy if anybody came around, day or night. I'm wondering if this would be both more effective and cheaper than electronics.

Next question---If I were going to try to kill me, I wouldn't break into the house(My FPF would be quite formidable)(My personal worries are much more along the assassination thought instead of the random burglar idea). Instead, I would set fire to the house, wait for me to run outside in the middle of the night, then open fire. Anybody have any good anti-arson ideas?(Yes, I'm probably being paranoid, but that doesn't mean the bastards aren't out to get me).

This thread is distressingly thought-provoking. More questions to follow.

Richard 02-03-2010 22:24

Quote:

I take it that you plan to hole up in your bedroom, if possible, and defend from there while awaiting LE response?

How will you identify intruders and acquire targets in the darkness?
VOCO challenge

There is a 'panic' button next to the light switch on my wife's side of the bed which turns on exterior lights as well as lights in living/dining areas at front of house - hallway and bedrooms at rear of the house not affected.

Quote:

Do you own less than lethal weapons?
Baseball bat behind front door.

Quote:

Is your cell phone in the bedroom, in case your landline is cut?
Wife keeps her cell next to bed.

Quote:

How will you restrain/detain apprehended or wounded intruders while waiting for law enforcement? What if they decline to wait?
Treat as POW - hold at gun-point face down on front yard - hold wounded at gun-point in place.

If they decline to wait - let them go, monitor direction, and give detailed ID to police.

Quote:

Do you have a trauma kit handy for yourself, your family members, or wounded intruder(s)?
Kitchen, master bathroom, garage, each vehicle.

Quote:

Do you have trousers and shoes handy, or plan to don them before clearing the house?
I now sleep in Eddie Bauer flannel pants/boxers and cotton t-shirt, we keep Uggs slippers next to the bed.

Longstreet 02-03-2010 22:27

!?!

The Reaper 02-03-2010 22:29

Richard:

Good plan, far better than most. Get a good tactical flashlight, if not a weapons light. Small powerful flashlights, especially weapons mounted lights, are much more economical than night vision devices, and both have pros/cons.

Baseball bats are not necessarily non-lethal weapons. I prefer OC spray, kept in the bedroom, vehicle, etc., just like trauma kits. Handcuffs or flex-cuffs might not be a bad idea, if you can cuff while still covering. Practice first.

I put my trousers (with all of my EDC junk in them), shirt, and footwear by the bed every night before retiring, just in case. Broken glass on the floor and no shoes is not going to be fun.

Most dogs are great early warning and some are also defensive assets.

While I like cameras and alarms, complementary, with layers, I have heard that geese are also territorial and hostile to strangers.

Deter, deny, delay, detect, and defeat.

Anti-arson? Damn, Judge! You must have some bad ones.

Masonry structure with relatively few windows or doors, no flammables like woodpiles or aboveground fuel tanks nearby, brush cleared away from the house, fire extinguishers and fire blankets handy inside for fire suppression.

Frankly, just as easy to shoot you when you are headed out to work or coming home as it is to start a fire and attract responders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longstreet (Post 312635)
- the law states that I must keep my firearm unloaded and secured, so I will need to unlock it (trigger lock) and load it with rounds that will be kept in my night table (I plan on practicing with my shotgun and will be able to load it in darkness)

jaYson

Honestly, how do they know if it is locked and unloaded, if you do not tell them?

Do they come by and inspect it at random intervals?

If not, I seriously suggest that you put all of your items away and set your alarm clock for a random time during the night. When it goes off, have your significant other start a stopwatch (or note the time) while you execute your plan, in the dark (power cut or avoiding attention from the intruder. I really doubt that you will be able to unlock/load/make ready in less than a minute or two.

Break.

Okay, a sudden sound of breaking glass awakens you tonight, what do you do? First, and then in sequence.

TR

Richard 02-03-2010 22:35

Quote:

Richard---what is/are the criteria for a "high-security" window, and do most modern energy-efficient windows qualify?
My front windows are reinforced energy efficient windows with added non-opening exterior storm windows and motion sensors in the front room/entry hall areas.

My side and rear windows are energy efficient with reinforced steel 'burglar bars' which are hinged and can be opened from the outside with a master key (we keep it in the master bedroom near the patio exit doors) or from the inside without a key for emergencies.

My vision is that a burglar will look at my house and say, "We'll go somewhere else."

Richard

HowardCohodas 02-03-2010 22:35

Anyone else have a SO that lives in denial and forbids weapons in the house, let alone in the bedroom? I married her 40+ years ago before I understood life, so a new SO is not an option. ;) I'd tell you what I do, but this forum is open to and scanned by search engines and I'm not prepared to show my hand to my SO.

The Reaper 02-03-2010 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowardCohodas (Post 312638)
Anyone else have a SO that lives in denial and forbids weapons in the house, let alone in the bedroom? I married her 40+ years ago before I understood life, so a new SO is not an option. ;) I'd tell you what I do, but this forum is open to and scanned by search engines and I'm not prepared to show my hand to my SO.

That would have been a deal breaker.

TR

Richard 02-03-2010 22:48

Quote:

Anyone else have a SO that lives in denial and forbids weapons in the house, let alone in the bedroom?
My wife does not like weapons much but can entertain the thought of how good it would feel to rid the world of someone who has most likely harmed someone else and was now trying to harm her, her loved ones, or her property.

We considered pistols - she knows how to shoot - but settled for the shotgun mainly for the psychological effect and the lessened need to aim when confronting somebody in a hallway, room, etc.

FWIW - the physical and mental response to the action and sound of a round being jacked into the chamber of the pump shotgun seems to help her prepare herself mentally and physically for such an encounter. Works for us.

Richard