Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Library (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The 50th Anniversary of Steve McQueen’s Bullitt (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53941)

PSM 10-28-2018 18:04

The 50th Anniversary of Steve McQueen’s Bullitt

2 Attachment(s)
For the FOGs, where were you when you first saw it?

I was at our rec building's theater on Okinawa. It sat about 50 or so people and often got first run movies in 16mm. Right in the middle of the chase scene, just when the cars went over the big jump, the OD shut it down. We had to secure the company area for a typhoon that was about to hit. It took about two hours to tape the windows, fill sandbags and stack them near doors in case they would be needed, strip the canvas from the vehicles in the motor pool, and couple of newly arrived PVTs had to clean out the drains at the bottom of the steps of our deep-underground-bunker Orderly Room.

When we got back to the theater, the projectionist started the film right where we left off. He almost had a riot on his hands. So he re-wound it to the beginning of the chase.

McQueen tried to buy the car back without luck: Bullitt Mustang

Before I enlisted in '67 I had a '67 Mustang that was new to me but not new. The brother of a friend of mine bought it when they first came out in '66 but got drafted shortly after. Rather than let the Army pick his MOS he enlisted and I bought from him it by only taking over the payments. The summer before I enlisted was the best of my school life!

p.s.: Watching that video reminded me that I took off the Mustang on the grill way before the movie came out. ;)

cbtengr 10-28-2018 19:33

Here is a pretty good article about the car and what happened to it. Lot of great cars from the 50's and 60's. My personal favorite was the 69 Charger.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...d-real-mcqueen

JJ_BPK 10-29-2018 05:57

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure when I was able to see the movie??

When it was released in October, I was in my 2nd month of OCS, at Benning's Schools for Boys. I don't think we had any passes until Christmas leave.

After OCS & Jump school it was off to Bragg. My classmate and roommate Pat Cobb had a 65 green 289 Muscrat, while I was running a 67 Camero RS/SS 396, 375HP.

Most weekends found us at the drag strip, with another classmate, Sammy Bush and his 66 GTO.

Pat won, more often than not, because he raced in HS and his Muscrat were almost 500 lbs lighter

:D But we were young and had fun :lifter

PS: Mine was stolen and totalled, but this is what it looked like :]

Ret10Echo 10-29-2018 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 647015)

65 green 289 CU Muscrat,

67 Camero RS/SS 396, 375HP.

66 GTO.

It would be something to have that selection of muscle sitting out in the garage.

The movie is cheesy, but for those of us that were a bit young to be a the theater in '68, Nicholas Cage's relationship with Eleanor in "Gone in 60 Seconds" comes to mind when I see that car. :D (Yeah, I know '67 versus '68)

CW3SF 10-29-2018 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 647014)
Here is a pretty good article about the car and what happened to it. Lot of great cars from the 50's and 60's. My personal favorite was the 69 Charger.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...d-real-mcqueen

I agree with this. The Charger is my favorite.

PSM 10-29-2018 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 647015)
After OCS & Jump school it was off to Bragg. My classmate and roommate Pat Cobb had a 65 green 289 CU Muscrat, while I was running a 67 Camero RS/SS 396, 375HP.

Most weekends found us at the drag strip, with another classmate, Sammy Bush and his 66 GTO.

Pat won, more often than not, because he raced in HS and his Muscrat were almost 500 lbs lighter

:D But we were young and had fun :lifter

Yeah! :lifter My 'Stang was a 289 also but was stock. There were a lot of farm and ranch kids who got special loans based on harvests and stock sales, mine were monthly plus I was paying for flying lessons while working for Monkey Ward. They had amazing machines: GTOs, Chargers, 442s, supped-up Impalas, a GTX, but I don't remember any Camaros. (I had a first run '82, though, that my son is still driving!) There was a Saudi "cousin" going to the A&M school nearby who had a great '66 427 Malibu SS. As you would guess he had every bell and whistle under the hood and floorboard, but it looked stock on the outside. He was hell on the out-of-towners out at the drag strip. ;)

Those were the days!

ETA: I forgot that the Impala that I was thinking about belonged to my oldest stepsister's boyfriend. On the night I got my driver's license he tossed me the keys to it and said, "Have fun." Well, while I knew how to drive a manual, his had a Hust 4-speed and heavy racing clutch. I was driving down Main St. while trying to figure out how to shift it smoothly. I'm not sure what engine he had in it, but the thing was bucking down the street as I shifted. Pretty much like in American Graffiti the local cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for "hot-rodding" or whatever the official term was.

mojaveman 10-30-2018 17:16

I have a very strong attraction to muscle cars from the '60s.

These guys in Oklahoma can basically build you whatever you want. It's on my to do list when I win the lottery. :D

https://www.classic-recreations.com/

JJ_BPK 10-30-2018 20:11

3 Attachment(s)
The Discovery channel just started a new show "Trans AM"

A couple brothers in Tallahassee Fl, have purchased the copy-right & brand and are making 800PH Bandits. The first 70+ are signed by Burt himself.

Quote:

EXCLUSIVE: One of America’s great muscle cars is racing back for a Discovery docuseries. The cable net said today that Trans Am, featuring brothers Scott and Tod Warmack, will hit the starting line at 10 PM Tuesday, October 2.
https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/trans-am/
They also have a custom shop that will do your restoration to whatever you want.

cbtengr 10-31-2018 05:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 647079)
The Discovery channel just started a new show "Trans AM"

A couple brothers in Tallahassee Fl, have purchased the copy-right & brand and are making 800PH Bandits. The first 70+ are signed by Burt himself.

They also have a custom shop that will do your restoration to whatever you want.

Prices start at $115,000.00, obviously a couple of guys with a vision. TDC will certainly help keep them afloat, at least for a little while. Had John Delorean had TDC way back when, maybe his car company would have lasted a bit longer.

JJ_BPK 10-31-2018 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 647087)
Prices start at $115,000.00, obviously a couple of guys with a vision. TDC will certainly help keep them afloat, at least for a little while. Had John Delorean had TDC way back when, maybe his car company would have lasted a bit longer.

Good observation,, The brothers have been building for over 20yrs, but the "trans am" is a brand new business.

Their egos remind me of past shooting star entrepreneurs such as Delorean & the currently Musk,, We shall see :munchin

Badger52 10-31-2018 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 647012)
For the FOGs, where were you when you first saw it?

Still at home in the San Fernando Valley; just about to head to BCT at Ord. I remember going up once to ask the Dodge dealer on Van Nuys Blvd. "just out of curiosity, how much is one of those Chargers?" (I loved the Mustang but figured it was unobtainium.) He told me about $4800. "How about with a 4-speed?" "Same, but we'd have to order it - and it's half down just to place the order since that damn movie came out."

I will be watching this tomorrow night, fondly noting shorty .357 and all.
:munchin