Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   18B (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   The A team in support of the Special Forces Weapons Sergeant (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50149)

Sdiver 12-15-2015 09:31

The A team in support of the Special Forces Weapons Sergeant

Not meaning to cause a rift amongst you Gents, but ....

Quote:

The A team in support of the Special Forces Weapons Sergeant

There is a profound distinction between the importance of the Weapons Sergeant and all the other personnel on a Special Forces Team. There are 12 members with a number of different specialties, but aside from the Weapons Sergeants all the rest are essentially support. Detachments consist of a Captain, Warrant Officer, Intel NCO, Team Sergeant, and then the soft skills of Engineer, Commo, and Medic, with two of each. But the emperor of all he surveys, bestriding the Earth like a Colossus is the ramp-jumping, door-kicking, slim-waisted, barrel-chested, freedom-fighting Weapons Sergeant.

Rest of the "story" here ---> http://www.blackfive.net/main/2012/0...rt-of-18b.html

Team Sergeant 12-15-2015 10:09

Your importance on an A-Team can be defined by experience and training.

If all you are is a Jr. 18B you are low man and the first one I will ask to break the seal on your mask to check the air quality. ;)

Now when you've been there a few years and have both 18B, 18E, now you're an asset to the team. same goes for 18C/18B and so on.

And if you're an 18B that came from an infantry/ranger background, even better.

One SF MOS does not usually make a "critical" position. That one crit spot/MOS is held by the 18D's. ;)

Old Dog New Trick 12-15-2015 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 600452)
One SF MOS does not usually make a "critical" position. That one crit spot/MOS is held by the 18D's. ;)

Hey now, I was from the beginning a former 11-BANG-BANG and one of the better shooters and door kickers on my team. :p

Otherwise yeah, 18B's were expendable and easily replaced. :D

sinjefe 12-15-2015 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdiver (Post 600450)
Not meaning to cause a rift amongst you Gents, but ....

That's what 18Bs tell themselves so they can sleep at night. ;)

x SF med 12-15-2015 11:34

18B that got better and became an 18D...

CDRODA396 12-15-2015 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 600452)
If all you are is a Jr. 18B you are low man and the first one I will ask to break the seal on your mask to check the air quality. ;)

You might have to splain that to some of the younger folk, its been a long time since anyone even pulled a promask out storage, much less actually trained on things like that! :D

Dusty 12-15-2015 14:25

I went 18B because the only second phase I thought I might pass was Weapons Branch. My GT was only 125, and for the Echoes, Deltas and Charlies you needed at least a 150.

The team leader and warrant could squeak by with less than a hundo.

miclo18d 12-15-2015 19:17

Yes, it is true!

As an 18D, I had to support the 18Bs on the team and teach them CQB and door breaching charges. I also had to support them by doing OPORDs for combat missions. I also supported them by getting ammo, opening ranges, creating targets, etc. I guess it didn't hurt that I was a former 11banger, Ragnar (weapons, tactics, some explosives), and LRS guy (commo) gone mad scientist (18d)!

:p ;)

Team Sergeant 12-17-2015 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by miclo18d (Post 600491)
Yes, it is true!

As an 18D, I had to support the 18Bs on the team and teach them CQB and door breaching charges. I also had to support them by doing OPORDs for combat missions. I also supported them by getting ammo, opening ranges, creating targets, etc. I guess it didn't hurt that I was a former 11banger, Ragnar (weapons, tactics, some explosives), and LRS guy (commo) gone mad scientist (18d)!

:p ;)

I had to help teach some to read and write....... :D

uplink5 12-17-2015 12:04

Now wait one minute.....

Seems to me the 18Es get you your beans and bullets, and your ride home. They become Warrent Officers more than any other MOS, then receive flowers on secretary appreciation day!

Sdiver could be correct.....:rolleyes:

WarriorDiplomat 12-19-2015 09:43

C'mon this is on the open side whats with all the bashing of an 18B there are plenty of E/C/D's that outside of their MOS knowledge were dumb as rocks and couldn't tactically apply their knowledge.

bailaviborita 12-19-2015 10:36

I was lucky to have two Bravos on my team. The senior was awesome- didn't need a lot of support- was normally good to go on his own...

The other Bravo... well... suffice it to say he needed A LOT of support! After waking up in a foreign capital facedown in the street, naked, scopalomined, and without a wallet, he called the battalion commander at the embassy and asked him to come pick him up (rest of team was in another country)- he then proceeded to shoot himself in the foot after being relegated to arms room duty back CONUS...

So- I've seen both sides... ;)

Team Sergeant 12-20-2015 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat (Post 600798)
C'mon this is on the open side whats with all the bashing of an 18B there are plenty of E/C/D's that outside of their MOS knowledge were dumb as rocks and couldn't tactically apply their knowledge.

Because bashing 18B's is fun. (And I started out as an 18B) ;)

SouthernDZ 12-21-2015 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 600891)
Because bashing 18B's is fun. (And I started out as an 18B) ;)

My Team Sergeant used to like to talk about all of the fun he had in the 18B course, one big party to hear him tell it. He once asked me if the 18D course was just as much a party. I told him no, all the real partiers in the 18D course ended up being 18Bs. Imagine that. :cool:

blue02hd 12-22-2015 06:19

If you have to source "Blackfive" as your basis of information,,,,, well,,,, you just might be an 18B.

Statistically speaking however, Walmart does hire more 18B's than any other MOS.
:lifter

Blue
"Not an 18B"