Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Library (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Ginfight at the O.K. Corral (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43839)

Sdiver 10-26-2013 12:09

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral

On this day in 1881, outlaws Billy Claiborne, Ike and Billy Clanton, and Tom and Frank McLaury got into a gunfight with lawmen Virgil, Morgan and Wyatt Earp, and Doc Holliday near the OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ. Three of the outlaws were killed. It has become one of the most famous shootouts in American history.

Now the big question, which movie was better ???

1) Tombstone
2) Wyatt Earp
3) My Darling Clementine
4) Gunfight at the O.K. Corral

tonyz 10-26-2013 12:35

Ginfight at the O.K. Corral...

I've got to go with Bombay Sapphire but Tanqueray on a hot summer day hits the spot, too. :D

NurseTim 10-26-2013 13:27

Hendricks is good, but I'll have to test further.

Tombstone for the fun
Wyatt Earp for factual authenticity.

ghp95134 10-26-2013 13:40

"Tombstone" -- without a doubt!!!

And in keeping with your malaprop heading: "In Vino Veritas."

--ghp

ghp95134 10-26-2013 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseTim (Post 528012)

...Tombstone for the fun
Wyatt Earp for factual authenticity.

Kinda-sorta both had some fun, some authenticity, and some inaccuracies. However, I think that Tombstone's costumes, weapons, and gun leather was top-notch, far exceeding Wyatt Earp.

--ghp

Max_Tab 10-26-2013 14:03

I'm your huckleberry

Red Flag 1 10-26-2013 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Tab (Post 528022)
I'm your huckleberry

"Must be a peach of a hand."

PSM 10-26-2013 15:57

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The "war" between the Clantons and the Earps was, largely, political. The Clantons were Southern Demorcats and the Earps Northern Republicans. Until Feb. 1881, Tombstone was in Democrat controlled Pima County. The county seat of the newly formed Cochise Co. was Tombstone and a Democrat Sheriff (former Pima Co. Deputy) was appointed over Wyatt who had also been a Pima Co. Sheriff Deputy. It's interesting that the county seat was later moved to Bisbee, the only truly Democrat enclave in the County.

Pat

mojaveman 10-26-2013 23:21

Ginfight?

"Your so drunk Holiday you're seeing double!" Holiday with both pistols drawn: "That's ok, I'll shoot both of you." :D

One of my favorite historical moments in the Old West. If time travel were ever possible that is one event I would have liked to witness (from a safe distance).

The movies always play up the shootout when in reality the engagement probably lasted less than 30 seconds (the amount of time that it takes to empty a Colt SA .45). Also, the participants were only standing about six feet away from each other. Too bad the Earp team were a little bit better shots than the cowboys.

The fallout from the shootout, including the ambush attacks on Virgil and Morgan Earp, as well as Wyatt's vendetta ride added yet more drama to the initial event.

If you really look into the pasts of both parties involved you will find that they actually had a lot in common. The Clantons and McLaurys were definately crooked but the Earps and Holiday were just a little less so. It just so happened that the Earps were wearing badges and the cowboys bandanas.

There are a number of good books available on the subject that offer historical, political, psychological, etc. perspectives on the conflict.

Have been to Tombstone and seen all of the locations including the Birdcage Theatre and Boothill. Agree that Wyatt Earp seemed a little more authentic and Tombstone was a little more creative. A decendant of the Earps was a High School Principal in my hometown not long ago. He is also a USMC Vietnam Veteran.

I'd like to see someone in Hollywood do an authentic production on the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

PSM 10-26-2013 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojaveman (Post 528071)
Have been to Tombstone and seen all of the locations including the Birdcage Theatre and Boothill.

The Bird Cage hadn't been built at the time of the shootout and the Crystal Palace was called the Golden Eagle Brewing Co. then. I think that, since the town has frozen itself in that era, the city council has probably asked the all references to Tombstone during that period use the names of the current businesses to help tourism. The locals really get into the re-enactment everyday. While there are paid actors that roam around the town, the citizens also enjoy dressing up and going about in 1880s clothing.

I enjoy going there (and I don't like touristy places) but I wished that they had some sort of emblem or indicator that one is a local so as not to get hassled by the guys pushing the haunted Tombstone tours.

Pat

Sdiver 10-27-2013 00:06

D'oh !!!!!!

Sdiver 10-27-2013 00:09

"I've got two guns ... one for each of ya."

One thing about spell check, it doesn't correct words you've misspelled, even though you've spelled the misspelled word correctly.

Badger52 10-27-2013 05:23

Tombstone (minus the gin)

Kilmer's performance defined the perpetual melancholy of Holliday, having had to leave the south, remaining forever in love with his cousin. Remains one of his best performances. (Costner's movie had Holliday appearing as too old already; he never lived that long as Quaid's performance envisions, although the drunken scene where he goes at it with Big Nose Kate in the hotel room was authentic.) Peter Sherayko - a SASS shooter & Old West authority in his own right - provided wardrobe consulting as well as playing Texas Jack Vermillion.

The whole package of Tombstone was simply better imo.

The Reaper 10-27-2013 09:50

Tombstone, without a doubt.

TR

Barbarian 10-28-2013 10:27

Tombstone.