Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   New badge for the Army (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5629)

18C4V 02-12-2005 16:40

New badge for the Army

Army announces new badge

A staff report

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Army on Friday announced a new badge for soldiers who engage in active ground combat, according to a news release from the Pentagon.

The Close Combat Badge will provide special recognition to soldiers who are trained and employed in direct combat missions, similar to Infantry and Special Forces.

The Army will award the CCB to armor, cavalry, combat-engineer and field-artillery soldiers or corresponding specialties recognized as having a high probability to routinely engage in direct combat.

In March, the Army expects to release details about the badge. The badge should be available this fall through unit supply and also for purchase in military-clothing sales stores, the Pentagon said.

NousDefionsDoc 02-12-2005 17:57

Isn't that was the CIB is for? Wonder what it looks like?

t-rex2025 02-12-2005 18:01

From Black Berets to a new Combat Badge. I wonder what's next!

Pete 02-12-2005 18:14

Cib

I wish I could remember the 1LT's name. He came to us by way of the Q course from 18th Airborne Corps. This was shortly after the Grenada operation. He had a CIB and a Corps patch. We said that that was a neat trick, how'd he swing that.

He told us flat out that he hopped a 130 haulin' ammo out of Pope that was going down there. He said he came back to Bragg the same day, walked into his S-! and turned in the manifest. Bingo, instant CIB and patch. He wasn't embarrassed at all about it and said that all the LTs up there were doing it. He was a little twitchy anyway and driffed off after his team time never to be seen again.

The CCB will become somewhat like the comabt patch, get of the transport and it's yours.

Pete

CommoGeek 02-12-2005 18:21

It will be just like the CIB: some guys will get it for doing good things, some will get it just for showing up in the AOR.

Deeds, not badges, matter.

QRQ 30 02-12-2005 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Isn't that was the CIB is for? Wonder what it looks like?

NOPE!! The CIB was only for infantry. An exception was made for SF. People have been whining for years saying "It ain't fair". IMNSHO it cheapens the CIB and CMB.

But what the hell. I hear the Army is in contact with the Girl Scouts to adapt their sash to the Army Class "A: uniform to accomodate all of the badges and ribbons. After 15 years I can still count all of my ribbons (U.S.) on one hand. :mad:

NousDefionsDoc 02-12-2005 19:28

Ah sure you're right Terry. I didn't read the part about the others gettin' it. Well, maybe this will put the CIB back up on it's pedestal where it belongs.

Jo Sul 02-12-2005 21:33

Maybe the CREMF badge is next.

QRQ 30 02-12-2005 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Sul
Maybe the CREMF badge is next.

There is enough of them. How about a strap with a wreath for strap hangers. :D

brewmonkey 02-13-2005 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete
I wish I could remember the 1LT's name. He came to us by way of the Q course from 18th Airborne Corps. This was shortly after the Grenada operation. He had a CIB and a Corps patch. We said that that was a neat trick, how'd he swing that.

He told us flat out that he hopped a 130 haulin' ammo out of Pope that was going down there. He said he came back to Bragg the same day, walked into his S-! and turned in the manifest. Bingo, instant CIB and patch. He wasn't embarrassed at all about it and said that all the LTs up there were doing it. He was a little twitchy anyway and driffed off after his team time never to be seen again.

The CCB will become somewhat like the comabt patch, get of the transport and it's yours.

Pete

Right after Just Cause we heard a similar story about a Maj from the 7ID doing the very same thing to ger his CIB.

If I have read the req's for this new badge it is only going to certain MOS's and then they have to have been through the 2 week ground combat course and have been on patrol in the streets if Iraq/A-Stan. It does not look like this is just a "you were there" like the SSI-FWTS.

mffjm8509 02-13-2005 16:27

Stirring the Pot

The Task Force supporting me in my AO is a Field Artilery TF. It consist of 2 FA companies that are used as infantry and 1 company/battery of support/fire support. These guys routinely patrol mounted and dismounted in search of contact with the insurgents. They perform about 80% of the security/cordon forces and 100% of QRF for my DA missions while advising my Iraqi counterparts. This task force has 1 platoon of infantry, all of which recieved a CIB for thier tour here. The Artillery guys that worked side by side with this infantry platoon did not recive a CIB, although performed the same duties.

I wear a CIB as well and dont want that to be freely handed out. The guys supporting my operations here, do the job of infantry but dont quailify for a CIB. I think this type of award, if given for troops commited to ground combat while not qualified as infantrymen is warranted. Sure it will be abused, but so has the CIB in the past, both in my time and most of yours. Honestly, I know several guys that still wear their EIB because it signifies more to them having earned it than simply beign awarded one for being in theater as an 11 series.

:munchin

mp

QRQ 30 02-13-2005 17:50

mffjm8509 and all: This has been an interminable battle since the beginning. For some the CIB/EIB have a meaning while for others it was and probably still is just another ticket career officers need punched for advancement. A new badge will probably do nothing to change that.

Just for fun, y'all may want to research the full criteria for awarding combat badges. It entails more than being just being in the AO.

As I said before, there are so many badges and ribbons now that they get lost in the crowd. I saw a picture the other day and the individual had four rows of ribbons. The highest was an ARCOM!! :rolleyes:

SP5IC 02-13-2005 18:26

Close Combat Badge

What does it look like? I have seen the Nazi's CCB. It required hand-to-hand combat. It has a grenade & a bayonet emblazoned on it.

Razor 02-14-2005 12:10

Ok, so conversely, if a grunt patches up his wounded buddy, will he get a CFMB or equivalent future badge? I mean, he's doing the job of a medic, right? Or, how about if a grunt calls for fire on an enemy position, will he be awarded a 13 SMOS?

scubasam 02-14-2005 12:17

Why don't we make a "combat action ribbon" like the Corps? Its nice and K.I.S.S. and for the Inf and Medic types they get the extra recognition that they deserve. And, hopefully, it would cut down on the awarding of the CIB when the true regs are not met (can't quote it right of the top of my head but I think you know what I mean).

Yes, I know its another ribbon to be added to all the fruit salad, but it's one that I believe is "earned" and would cut down on the silver shinny crap that will be showing up on all the uniforms if this goes through.