Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Base Camp (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoke Bomb Hill 1969 (Aerial Photo) (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21269)

alelks 01-12-2009 08:31

Smoke Bomb Hill 1969 (Aerial Photo)

I thought some of the old timers would enjoy this picture. I ran across it about 2 years ago and scanned it. It was taken on January 12th, 1969. Not much changed from then until 1979 when I joined SF.

Team Sergeant indicated that the SF Museum was looking for old photos so I'll email them this one to see if they can use it. The picture is large so rather than fill up your computer screen here's a link:

http://www.atvgraphics.org/Downloads..._1_12_1959.jpg

AL

Pete 01-12-2009 08:47

The motor pool parking lots are the large squares along the top (north) of the photo.

In the mid 70's the 5th and 7th Gp Companies were located in the upper left square of Barracks. The companies were moved to the south side of Gruber and the whole northern section was torn down to make way for the 37th Eng Brigade buildings.

One of the last building to go was the SF Museum located in a one story building fronting Gruber.

The GB Club? Locate the ball diamond in the center of the picture and drop down to the building just below it. Then go to the same building 1 block west, next to the double roads. Moved there from the old Womack area where it was located in the early 80s.

alelks 01-12-2009 21:44

Yep,

We (B/3/5th SF) were on the 2nd floor in the first two story building from the left on the South side of Gruber Rd. We conducted PT in the open field South of the building. That's also where we practiced with the mortars.

AL

Scimitar 01-12-2009 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by alelks (Post 244132)
Yep,

We (B/3/5th SF) were on the 2nd floor in the first two story building from the left on the South side of Gruber Rd. We conducted PT in the open field South of the building. That's also where we practiced with the mortars.

AL

I imagine running around trying to avoid mortor shells would make for good PT. :D

Pete 01-13-2009 05:58

No bangs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitar (Post 244134)
I imagine running around trying to avoid mortor shells would make for good PT. :D

They had a pneumatic device for the 81s and 60s you could check out. In the days of little money you would get your crew drill and FO procedures down and then use the device to fire over one of the one story buildings.

The open fields and the MATA mile Area saw a lot of low cost team training for a few years. Back in the walking back from the DZ to save gas money days.

alelks 01-13-2009 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 244140)
They had a pneumatic device for the 81s and 60s you could check out. In the days of little money you would get your crew drill and FO procedures down and then use the device to fire over one of the one story buildings.

The open fields and the MATA mile Area saw a lot of low cost team training for a few years. Back in the walking back from the DZ to save gas money days.

I sure remember those days. The Pneumatic devices for the mortars were "HIGH TECH" at that time.

AL

mark46th 05-13-2011 16:48

That's me down there by C/5th HQ...

Dusty 05-13-2011 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by alelks (Post 244132)
Yep,

AL

Yeah, and when Burroughs was Bn Cdr, we used to have to bring, like 4 sets of PT uniforms.

longrange1947 05-13-2011 18:37

The row where the GB club is now, is where I did 91A training in 68. The litter obstacle course, really an excuse to drink beer and party before going to Ft Sam, was in the woods south and where the Mata Mile was later located.

Had a "few" beers at the cannon cockers club up in the north east corner across Gruber. Good place to go towards the end of the month when your monthly pay for pvt2 was a bit over 100 dollars.

Have that photo on my computer, don't remember where I got it, have a Camp MacKall WW2 map as well. :)

VVVV 05-13-2011 19:03

Can someone please point out the old HALO Committee Building? Thanks

alelks 05-13-2011 19:45

If I remember correctly it's this one:

http://www.atvgraphics.org/images/Sm..._1959_Halo.jpg

Stras 05-14-2011 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by alelks (Post 392777)
If I remember correctly it's this one:

http://www.atvgraphics.org/images/Sm..._1959_Halo.jpg

Just a young lad, but I believe that is the current location of the SWC Rigger Shed (top center of page, circled in Red). So we still have a presence in the area, now overrun with CA and MISO (PSYOPs new name).

The Reaper 05-14-2011 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stras (Post 392808)
Just a young lad, but I believe that is the current location of the SWC Rigger Shed (top center of page, circled in Red). So we still have a presence in the area, now overrun with CA and MISO (PSYOPs new name).

Negative, the area circled in red is on the north side of Gruber Rd.

Reilly is just to the left of the HALO barn, The All-American Expressway would be on the far right, where the runway is. Buker Street is the street immediately South of the HALO barn.

The SWCS rigger shed would be at the bottom of the map, South of Son Tay.

This same map sits outside the GB Club with quite a few of the buildings and areas marked. Probably put up by the CA and MISO units in the area.

TR

tom kelly 05-16-2011 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 392844)
Negative, the area circled in red is on the north side of Gruber Rd.

Reilly is just to the left of the HALO barn, The All-American Expressway would be on the far right, where the runway is. Buker Street is the street immediately South of the HALO barn.

The SWCS rigger shed would be at the bottom of the map, South of Son Tay.

This same map sits outside the GB Club with quite a few of the buildings and areas marked. Probably put up by the CA and MISO units in the area.

TR

Iam in Fayetteville, NC as I write this msg. staying at The Marriott Courtyard on Scyamore Rd. down in this AO for All American Week; I was never in the 82nd but arrived at Ft. Bragg on 12/05/1962 to Special Forces Training Gp. A Co. which was in the Smoke Bomb Hill area, will stop by the Green Beret Club and check out the map. I did my medical training in the old division area hospital...dog lab... A lot of the street names in the Smoke Bomb Hill area have been changed since since I was last stationed here in Dec. 1963? tom kelly

JJ_BPK 05-16-2011 05:02

1 Attachment(s)
Someone help a FOG..

Is the red area in this pic where the 6th Gp was in 69??
And the green at the bottom right, the edge of the Gabriel Demonstration Area??

Tx..
JJ