Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fin (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   In Soviet Maryland, SSN & Fishing Are Intertwined (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37626)

lindy 04-24-2012 19:33

In Soviet Maryland, SSN & Fishing Are Intertwined

This article was in the Annapolis paper. I cannot believe this is acceptable given the proliferation of ID theft. I'm sure the DNR's network and data are secure. :rolleyes:

Social Security number required for fishing license

When you go to buy a new fishing, hunting or boating license, don’t be surprised when you’re asked to give your Social Security number.

Since 2003, state and federal laws have mandated that the state collect Social Security numbers when issuing recreational licenses.

But the law is just now being enforced as the state Department of Natural Resources rolls out a new computer licensing system called COMPASS.

Why the need for Social Security numbers? Blame deadbeat parents.

mark46th 04-24-2012 21:12

To buy a fishing or hunting license in California, the clerk will swipe your driver's license through a reader and all your info pops up on the screen....

TOMAHAWK9521 04-24-2012 21:43

The same in Colorado

albeham 04-25-2012 04:38

Lindy,

Since i moved to the occupied Area of Maryland.. There has been a lot of things I just don't understand.

Let a SSN get out from them and watch the lawyers get it done..

BTW I am near BWI...

AL

theis223 04-25-2012 08:35

Its the same in Minnesota.

I work at an establishment up on the North Shore that sells many recreational licenses and this is SOP here as well.

greenberetTFS 04-25-2012 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 445903)
To buy a fishing or hunting license in California, the clerk will swipe your driver's license through a reader and all your info pops up on the screen....

I work in security at the main gate and your required to show your drivers license in order to get in........:( We do the same procedure by swiping the license and we get quite a bit of info we don't really need.........:(

Big Teddy :munchin

XavierR 04-25-2012 10:53

At least illegal aliens will not be fishing, legally... :rolleyes:

ZonieDiver 04-25-2012 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by XavierR (Post 445962)
At least illegal aliens will not be fishing, legally... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why not. Here in AZ, a significant number (most??) have such ID. Sheriff Joe has never caught a company that hired illegals who had not "passed" muster with "E-Verify"... with someone else's SSAN.

Buffalobob 04-25-2012 12:37

Quote:

Why the need for Social Security numbers? Blame deadbeat parents.
It has something to do with child support payments. If you are behind in those payments you cannot go hunting or fishing.

lindy 04-25-2012 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by albeham (Post 445920)
BTW I am near BWI...

AL

I know. :D (SIGINTer joke)

Dekadenz 08-26-2012 16:52

Commy Md. Getting worse every year! I guess moving to CA isn't an escape either.
The occupied part of Maryland? There's only two counties that aren't, I live in one of them. Did you?

tom kelly 08-26-2012 19:50

SSN for ID

My Social Security Card specifically states "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION"
Also the Internal Revenue Service uses your SSN as a Taxpayer Identification Number. Also the Dept. of Defense uses your SSN in lieu of issuing you a serial number. Did the U S GOV run out of numbers? TK