Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT/ H2H (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   New Army PT Program Coming (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18607)

GratefulCitizen 08-10-2008 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitar (Post 220267)
So, is there a tendancy for some soldiers to focus a little too much on "Max'ing" the Endurance APFT at the cost of Limit Strength?

Surely there's a good operational balance of the two?

(The only operational use for Limit Strength I can think of off the top of my head is the occasional Hand-to-Hand requirment, short distance wounded buddy carries, and moving equipment - two of which have more to do with technique then pure strength (I'm sure there's others))

Scimitar

Not sure where the conflict would exist.

Training for limit strength doesn't negatively affect short-term muscular endurance or anaerobic endurance.

In my experience, such training greatly enhanced short-term endurance.

YMMV.

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-10-2008 22:50

Try the Blitz

Anybody interested in greatly improving their strength and over doubling their endurance should check the "blitz" download from Professional soldiers. I don't have the address but it in here somewhere. Dan posted it for SF use and it can be downloaded. I am it's reference and can answer any questions on it . I'll go find the link and put it in here with an edit. Blitz

I don't know how to post a like but if you go here you can download the blitz system.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...=Blitz+Workout

Blitz

Scimitar 08-11-2008 00:20

Thanks for the answer gents,

I guess it comes down to a time thing. I find if I focus on one it does negate the other some what. But I'm still relatively new to top end PT.

Thanks for the link Blitzz

Scimitar

blue02hd 08-11-2008 05:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onuma (Post 216904)
I can't remember a time that I was in a combat environment with my rifle slung over my back. My rifle was in my hands, with the sling being merely an 'Oh Crap' contingent in case I stumbled, fell, etc. I only used it for chow time.

It's great that the Army wants to go in the right direction, but we'll see if POA = POI.

Umm, Onuma, thats a bold statement to make in the forum your in. More SA and less posting until you can establish the immense amount of "Combat" you've seen. Slings are there for a reason, and are needed outside the chow line as well,,,

Loadsmasher 08-13-2009 09:52

Holy thread ressurection Batman!

Just returned from the new Commanders Total Fitness course that is being offered as a troop school at Ft. Hood (and other posts). It's basically a week long immersion into the new PT program that was being discussed here. It focuses on explaining FM 3-22.20 (DRAFT) Army Physical Readiness Training. The instructor also leads the class through some of the conditioning exercises and a brief explanation of nutrition and other applicable manuals.

I have a digital copy of the draft manual if anyone is interested, or I could post it here (with proper instruction in small single-syllable words ;) ).

There are some major changes from the 2005 manual posted earlier written for BCT, OSUT and AIT. Specifically in the addition of conditioning drills geared toward functional strength (Log PT, Buddy carry, Strength Machines). It's also worth noting that a number of the drills are designed so that Soldiers initially perform them in PTs but progress to wearing ACUs and later add IBA, ACH and weapon.

Currently the APFT will remain unchanged until such time as the new PT program has had time demonstrate it effectiveness. At that point (supposedly) the Army would look at changing to a six event APFT.

I'll save my personal opinions for a later post.

LS

Richard 08-13-2009 12:04

Quote:

There are some major changes from the 2005 manual posted earlier written for BCT, OSUT and AIT. Specifically in the addition of conditioning drills geared toward functional strength (Log PT, Buddy carry, Strength Machines). It's also worth noting that a number of the drills are designed so that Soldiers initially perform them in PTs but progress to wearing ACUs and later add IBA, ACH and weapon.
Wellll now...shades of yesteryear for us FOGs...I'll bet they'll even go back outside and start doing PT again in the environment in which a soldier fight's - and it ain't in a gymnasium. :rolleyes:

And so it goes...;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin