Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   20th Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Wives... (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17474)

DTH350 02-28-2008 14:07

Wives...

Quiet Professionals,

Presently, I am a second-year law student seriously considering applying to the 20th SFG upon graduation and taking the bar. The recruiter with whom I spoke yesterday answered many of my questions and was extremely helpful. However, I would like to get some feedback on how you approached the decision to apply with regard to your wives.
Obviously it needs to be a mutual decision. When I discuss the idea with my wife she says that I should do what I want and that she doesn't wish to be the type of woman who holds someone back.
I can't seem to make her understand that it isn't so simple and that I need her input and to know that she will be supportive the whole way. I also don't think she understands what the decision will require of her - I'm not even sure I do for that matter.
This may seem like a strange request, but I was hoping that a Quiet Professional's wife might be willing to speak with her or me (even if only through PM) to help us both get an understanding of what the wife goes through and what is required of her.
This is as much her decision as mine, and I want us both to be fully informed.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. - While there seems to be some information within in the site regarding the pressures put on wives by their husbands' SF careers, the focus of this post is more geared towards learning how to make my wife want to play a bigger role in the intitial decision making process. Thanks.

The Reaper 02-28-2008 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTH350 (Post 201141)
Quiet Professionals,

Presently, I am a second-year law student seriously considering applying to the 20th SFG upon graduation and taking the bar. The recruiter with whom I spoke yesterday answered many of my questions and was extremely helpful. However, I would like to get some feedback on how you approached the decision to apply with regard to your wives.
Obviously it needs to be a mutual decision. When I discuss the idea with my wife she says that I should do what I want and that she doesn't wish to be the type of woman who holds someone back.
I can't seem to make her understand that it isn't so simple and that I need her input and to know that she will be supportive the whole way. I also don't think she understands what the decision will require of her - I'm not even sure I do for that matter.
This may seem like a strange request, but I was hoping that a Quiet Professional's wife might be willing to speak with her or me (even if only through PM) to help us both get an understanding of what the wife goes through and what is required of her.
This is as much her decision as mine, and I want us both to be fully informed.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. - While there seems to be some information within in the site regarding the pressures put on wives by their husbands' SF careers, the focus of this post is more geared towards learning how to make my wife want to play a bigger role in the intitial decision making process. Thanks.

Oh shit, another thread on wives and/or girlfriends and SF.:rolleyes:

I think you should use the search button and read some more.

189 threads on wives, one of them probably has your answer.

Odds are very long against you making it to SF anyway.

Good luck.

TR