Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons Discussion Area (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Firearms for Women; SCCY CPX-2 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52627)

echoes 07-25-2017 13:31

Firearms for Women; SCCY CPX-2

Have done an extensive search using the search function, and have not found this particular firearm, and am tip- toeing slowly in here to ask...per advice from a credible source, any thoughts regarding the SCCY CPX-2 9mm Double Action semi-auto?

It was presented after the Glock 43 9mm, which did not feel good in my grip, and seemed a bit weak, IMVHO

Since I am finally going to purchase a firearm for concealed carry, am going to the local NRA approved facility for classes. Am also going to practice extensively at the range They have here locally.

Per advice again, I did a lot of research and have come to a possible decision on this weapon. It was advised I purchase a compact Semi-auto, vs. Revolver.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Holly:o

PRB 07-25-2017 15:46

How are you going to carry....on your person or handbag? Makes a big difference when approaching the size of the firearm.

I am not a fan of Glocks for newcomers to concealed carry....simply due to the trigger safety and the amount of AD's attributed to that...both retrieving and holstering.

My wife carries a Ruger RCP (revolver) in .38 special.....she does get out to shoot/practice but not enough for me to be comfortable/or her, with a semi auto.
I like the point/squeeze of a small revolver. It has a good size grip for her and is lightweight enough not to be a bother. She also prints well with it.

To really 'be good' you need to shoot quite a bit to overcome the added stress of a real situation and a semi auto can lead to issues (more rounds fired that you actually wanted to etc.)...

Semi's tho have some great assets...quick reload capability and first shot speed.

If I were you I'd fins a friend, go to a range where you can actually try the piece (s) out then make up your mind.

Also....look into the NRA insurance too...I'd rec that to anyone carrying, if you shoot someone no matter how righteous you will be sued in civil court.....

My brother, Detective, killed a gangbanger wanted for kidnapping and armed with a sawed off shotgun....he was sued in civil court for 3 years by the family but the State pics that up....if he were a civilian it would have cost him 300k in fee's.

adal 07-25-2017 15:48

Check with The Well Armed Woman
https://twawshootingchapters.org/chapter/locate

I train with these ladies often here in AZ. Firearms and first aid. The members have their stuff together. The link above will allow you to find a local chapter and then you can ask their opinions.

Adal

Peregrino 07-25-2017 17:22

Shoot before you buy CANNOT be overemphasized. (Failure to listen to that simple advice is why the wife has at least a half dozen different CC pistols she's only carried a few times, each laying around the house quietly gathering dust.) The insurance is another great piece of advice.

rsdengler 07-25-2017 17:47

Holly:

I have not decided on a handgun as of yet since I am a "newbie" with handling weapons. I am going to start firearm training with an instructor pretty soon. Before I make any selections, I want to do some training first with my instructor so I feel more comfortable with the entire shooting experience. I still need to find the right fit, as well as what works best for me . I did go to my local gun shop and had him pull out some weapons. I handled a Rugar LCP, LC9, a HK VP9, a USP, Glock G19 Gen 4, a Bersa 380 Combat, Springfield XD, and a Smith & Wesson M&P. I really liked the feel of the HK VP OD Green 9mm and the Bersa 380 Combat. But, I am still going to wait to do some training before I finally make a choice. Good luck with your search :)

Peregrino 07-25-2017 18:08

Rita - I would strongly recommend you concentrate your search on 9mms if given a choice. Availability of ammo with improved terminal ballistics and the ability to acquire a "full-sized" pistol in the same caliber (training is a lot easier/more productive with a full sized pistol) against (usually) little or no sacrifice in concealability and only a moderate increase in recoil makes for compelling arguments in favor of the 9. The only one on your list we've had a bad experience with was the Ruger LC9. We very rarely dispose of firearms but that one only lasted a couple months before it was gone (totally unreliable with defense loads). It was very quickly traded for an XDs in .45 that the wife actually carried for a while (until she got her Kimber Micro9 "Smurfette").

echoes 07-25-2017 20:36

Wow, thanks so much to All.

All notes of advice have been taken in to account, and written down: Must shoot to overcome and practice is key. The local women's chapter is something to investigate for sure, and shooting the firearm before purchasing is right in line with my goals.

Thank you all so much for taking your time to reply to my question. It was posed after my recent trip by a friend who gave me the advice of checking here on PS, and other locations about SCCY, and asking for feedback.

Goal was semi -auto compact, 9mm...for Concealed carry. (Not a Glock.)

Again, thanks to all for taking your time to reply.:o

Am starting this new venture very soon, and will provide feedback.

Holly

rsdengler 07-26-2017 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrino (Post 630369)
Rita - I would strongly recommend you concentrate your search on 9mms if given a choice. Availability of ammo with improved terminal ballistics and the ability to acquire a "full-sized" pistol in the same caliber (training is a lot easier/more productive with a full sized pistol) against (usually) little or no sacrifice in concealability and only a moderate increase in recoil makes for compelling arguments in favor of the 9. The only one on your list we've had a bad experience with was the Ruger LC9. We very rarely dispose of firearms but that one only lasted a couple months before it was gone (totally unreliable with defense loads). It was very quickly traded for an XDs in .45 that the wife actually carried for a while (until she got her Kimber Micro9 "Smurfette").

Peregrino, thank you for the suggestions, I would like to focus on getting a 9mm. I do like the HK models I have tried, they feel really comfortable and fit my hand better. I am sure I will find my "right fit" once I do a bit of training. Thanks again :)

bblhead672 07-26-2017 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes (Post 630362)
Have done an extensive search using the search function, and have not found this particular firearm, and am tip- toeing slowly in here to ask...per advice from a credible source, any thoughts regarding the SCCY CPX-2 9mm Double Action semi-auto?

It was presented after the Glock 43 9mm, which did not feel good in my grip, and seemed a bit weak, IMVHO

Since I am finally going to purchase a firearm for concealed carry, am going to the local NRA approved facility for classes. Am also going to practice extensively at the range They have here locally.

Per advice again, I did a lot of research and have come to a possible decision on this weapon. It was advised I purchase a compact Semi-auto, vs. Revolver.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Holly:o

Holly,
Go to a local gun store, not a big box store like Cabelas, etc unless you have a lot of patience to wait and handle every 9mm semi-auto that is in the size you want to start with. Make a list of the ones that feel comfortable in your hands.
Then, go to a gun range that rents guns and try each of the ones on your list.
After that then you can search for the best deal on the one that you choose.
I've bought several from GrabAGun in DFW area: www.grabagun.com

I definitely recommend you check out the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. It was my first handgun purchase after moving to Texas and getting back into shooting again after 20 years of living in Illinois.

Best of luck finding the "one" that fits you. In the end, all that matters is that you have a gun that feels good, shoots good, you will practice and train with and carry daily.

The Reaper 07-26-2017 07:57

Note that a house or car gun may have different requirements. For example, you might want a full-sized pistol with a tactical light for your house gun, versus a compact- or sub-compact carry gun. Ammo and magazine compatibility between full-sized and concealment weapons is important. Think about how you plan to carry and conceal the weapon.

Concur with the trying what feels "right" to you before proceeding. Also consider the carry method. A Glock is fine in a holster, but not so much tossed into a purse.

Once you have narrowed your candidates down to 3-5 weapons, go to a range where you can rent or borrow the pistols you are considering, and shoot them. The one that feels best and that you shoot best is the one you want. Any significant jams or stoppages should remove a candidate, no matter how much you like it.

Concur with the preference for at least a 9mm, but concealment requirements, especially in the summer, can force me to carry a .380, which is a marginal performer, but is infinitely better than the .44 Magnum you left at home. Remember that the more power, and lighter the pistol, the more recoil. With good practice and training, most people should be able to manage a 9mm or a .38 Special, and there are some good ammo loads with excellent terminal ballistics out there for each caliber.

Competent instructors can be a big help, especially to new shooters. Women are generally better students because of lesser egos and fewer bad habits to unlearn.

There is nothing wrong with a revolver, other than the lower capacity and slower reloading (unless you are Jerry Miculek). They tend to be more reliable and safer than auto pistols.

Whatever you select, you need to practice with it over and over until you are proficient in drawing from concealment and delivering multiple accurate shots to your target at different ranges within the limits of you and your weapon. Lots of quality dry fire will be required to build the requisite muscle memory.

Then don't forget to carry it, whenever and wherever it is legal.

I tend to ignore people who can tell you a specific gun to carry without the above sort of logical process.

Good luck.

TR

mcarey 07-26-2017 09:09

I have a Berretta Nano in 9mm. The best pocket pistol and easily concealed pistol that I have ever owned. It shoots straight despite small size and sight radius; holds tight out to 5-15 yards for most of my friends firing it for the first time. I think it is the best value in highly concealable 9MM; of course, you should try one, before you buy one!

frostfire 07-26-2017 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrino (Post 630367)
Shoot before you buy CANNOT be overemphasized.

This is the best option. I must add however that without good fundamental, no gun
would give you that elusive fit/shootability

I'd say seek competent instructor to give you honest feedback on the correct grip ("sliding into" as opposed to monkey grip), then go to the store, close eyes,grab gun from the table, purse, holster, etc, point to safe direction, open eyes, dry fire.
The one that gives you an acceptable sight picture on point is the one you want. Then live fire to validate the shootability. Should save you $$$
youtube.com/watch?list=FLr_ZkMECluVtPpI8IMYOkfA&v=45QhpvY9LZc

Maybe i've been in too many EO and SHARP sessions but im not a fan of the term gun for women, there is only one term, gun for you regardless evrything else.

The SCCY probably has the most assortment of color though:D
From magazine, gunstore, youtube etc., ladies are definitely the fastest growing ccw buyer. Good for ya'll. Good for 'murica!

echoes 07-26-2017 13:08

And Wow again! Thank you All for your detailed responses.

A lot of incredible information to absorb. My SCCY and Glock comparisons were done at a local gun shop here, about a mile away...
The only advice that my friend gave me was compact and 9mm.

(The house or car gun analogy TR, really has me thinking)

Am so glad that I asked...try before you buy is something I had not thought about...makes so much sense.

Going to take as many classes as I can first, before purchase.

In any case, love to shoot, and figured its time to step up to a gun instead of just my Harsey knife for self defense. :-)

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond. I trust PS.com, more than anything!

Holly

cat in the hat 07-26-2017 14:28

welcom to the sheepdog club

always good to learn that another person is taking responsibility for their own safety

lots of great advice above that, as an instructor, I would echo; find a gun that fits your hand and needs, try before you buy, reputable stores for advice, and others.

as n part time CCW instructor, I also recommend looking for proper training. NOT the guy at the range with lots of "cool guy gear" who offers unsolicited advice when you are shooting at the range.

one thing I always emphasize is dry fire practice. it will enhance your basics, grip, stance, sight alignment, sight picture, front sight focus, steady trigger press and surprise break, without spending as much money. then when you go to the range, you can spend all your time with follow through and accuracy.
get some dummy rounds and you can practice reloads safely as well.
like anything else, learn the basics first and then pick up some advanced techniques

once you are carrying on a regular basis, remember that states have different laws on WHERE you can carry ,, (church, bars, private establishments) duty to inform law enforcement when stopped. do your homework on states you visit. googe CCW reciprocity map as a start.