Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   In Memory Of (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Harriman, Stanley L., CW2, SF (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125)

The Reaper 01-24-2004 18:13

Harriman, Stanley L., CW2, SF

1 Attachment(s)
March 5, 2002, 12:22 AM EST

The first casualty in the latest U.S. assault in Afghanistan had spent 16 years -- his entire adult life -- serving his country, his family said Monday.

Army Chief Warrant Officer Stanley L. Harriman, 34, was killed as a result gunfire from an Air Force AC-130 gunship that mistook his convoy for enemy forces. Saturday in a ground attack. On Monday, the Pentagon said seven more American soldiers were killed and 11 were wounded in the assault.

"He was so excited about being a part of it," said Harriman's wife, Sheila. "He loved not just being a soldier, but his country."

Harriman, a native of Nixa, Mo., enlisted at the age of 18 and was stationed for 13 years at Fort Bragg, N.C., his wife said. The couple had two children.

"He died doing what he loved," said Traci Lore, Harriman's sister-in-law.

Harriman rarely talked about his career, said his cousin, Jeff Floyd.

"When he did speak about what he was doing, it was just about how he loved his job. Nothing about his details," Floyd said. "That wasn't him."

Harriman's twin brother was in the military, and they followed their father -- who served in the Army -- in military service.

Maj. Robert Gowan, a spokesman for the Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg, said little information could be released about Harriman and the circumstances of his death "because of ongoing operations" in Afghanistan.

The Pentagon said the seven soldiers who died Monday were killed when two U.S. helicopters took enemy fire during the most deadly allied air and ground offensive of the war in Afghanistan.

In the U.S. assault, code-named Operation Anaconda, Americans took the lead instead of relying on Afghan forces to take the fight to the al-Qaida.

In all, 40 U.S. soldiers have been wounded since the operation began Friday.

**Information from SFAHQ.com, The Department of Defense and The Associated Press used in this Article.

rltipton 05-26-2009 21:06

Stan was a very good friend of mine I think about often. He is also one of the first I remember on Memorial Day. As a SSG/SFC he was one of the hardest working 18Cs I knew, good at everything he did and a genuinely solid guy who stood out from the first day he set foot in C/2/3. As a Warrant in A/3/3 he was very respected and loved by many. He was one of the best soldiers I ever knew.

ACE844 05-26-2009 21:34

RIP CWO Harriman. My condolences go out to his family, loved ones, and those effected by this tragedy.

greenberetTFS 05-27-2009 01:22

I missed you the first time around,belated RIP,Warrior........:(

GB TFS

Red Flag 1 05-27-2009 05:45

Rest In Peace CW2 Harriman!

Thank You For Your Service!

Though belated....prayers out!

SF_BHT 05-27-2009 06:51

Rest In Peace Chief

Rogue 05-27-2009 12:36

Rest in Peace

rltipton 03-02-2010 00:36

8 years ago today

Nunca te olvidare' mi hermano.

Stingray 03-02-2010 03:06

Harriman, Stanley L., CW2, SF

Belated wish for your easy rest. Prayers to your family and loved ones CW2 Herriman.

Sincerely,