Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Africa (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   The Crow has fallen (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49261)

Guymullins 07-31-2015 06:58

The Crow has fallen

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 31070It is with great sadness that we learn of the death of Colonel Delville Linford. The Colonel was the founder of the formidable Bushman Battalion, 31 Bn, which later became 201Bn. The Bushman Battalion began in difficult circumstances in that they needed to be persuaded to fight alongside UNITA and FNLA , two groups that traditionally persecuted the bushmen and their families. Col. Linford , after much discussion with the Bushman leaders got their agreement to proceed so long as they could be led by white officers, there being much distrust between the tribes of the area. 31Bn became a formidable fighting force that excelled in tracking the enemy through any terrain and using the Bushmans supreme bushcraft to avoid ambush and navigate through the featureless bush with unerring accuracy. Both 31 Bn and 32 Bns were formed around the same time. 32 Bn was founded by Col Jan Breytenbach and the two units fought side by side in Angola forging a formidable multi-racial force against Communism.
Col Linford was well loved by his men and anyone who came in contact with him were impressed with his humanity and great leadership qualities.
All South African soldiers extend their deepest condolences to the family and friends of this great son of South Africa. We will never see his kind again.
The 31 Bn badge is the crow, a bird most sacred for the Bushmen and the name by which the Colonel was affectionately known.

glebo 07-31-2015 10:28

Great story, made by a great man. Thanks for sharing.

What time frame was this??? 80's-90's???

Team Sergeant 07-31-2015 13:15

Blue Skies Colonel Delville Linford

Pete 07-31-2015 13:18

To be remembered

To be remembered by comrades.

RIP

Guymullins 07-31-2015 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by glebo (Post 589185)
Great story, made by a great man. Thanks for sharing.

What time frame was this??? 80's-90's???

Late 70s. His book is to be launched in Sept. It will make fascinating reading. I will let everyone know when it is available on Amazon.

Scimitar 07-31-2015 14:53

Is there any greater honour then to be loved by the men you served?

RIP Sir

S

mark46th 08-02-2015 09:02

Rest in Peace, Sir.

PrimalAndrew 08-03-2015 01:54

He's my Great Uncle. That picture literally made me cry.

He was a great; infinitely compassionate, frighteningly deadly, extremely happy man.

I'm just ABRN INF. - but I hope to be as great as this man one day.

glebo 08-03-2015 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimalAndrew (Post 589379)
He's my Great Uncle. That picture literally made me cry.

He was a great; infinitely compassionate, frighteningly deadly, extremely happy man.

I'm just ABRN INF. - but I hope to be as great as this man one day.

That's a good start. Time and place is everything....Sad to see a great man go...as do they all in time.

Santo Tomas 08-03-2015 07:11

RIP Warrior

RomanCandle 08-08-2015 13:15

Rest in Peace Colonel Delville Linford.

CAARNG 68W 08-08-2015 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymullins (Post 589217)
Late 70s. His book is to be launched in Sept. It will make fascinating reading. I will let everyone know when it is available on Amazon.

Looking forward to reading it. Huge into Rhodesia and SADF Bush War Era readings.
Thank You