Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   18B (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   M4 Weapon System (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10084)

NousDefionsDoc 03-10-2006 17:02

M4 Weapon System

Ok Sluggos, tell me everything I need to know about the current M4 weapon system - to include optics.

The Reaper 03-10-2006 17:09

Issued or aftermarket?

TR

NousDefionsDoc 03-10-2006 17:12

18X 18B wannabes Sir.

Issue.

The Reaper 03-10-2006 17:54

Claro, Sargento!

Backing out.

TR

NousDefionsDoc 03-10-2006 17:56

LOL - just trying to stir up a little hip-pocket training Boss. Don't go far...

jon448 03-10-2006 19:29

NDD,
The M4 is a gas operated, air cooled, magazine fed, shoulder fired weapon with a collapsable stock. It is a smaller version of the M16, and has apporoximately 80% of the same parts as the M16. It fires the standard NATO 5.56 round. The M4 was first issued in 1994.
It's length varies between 29.4 inches and 33 inches depending on if the stock is collapsed or extended.
The weight without magazine is 5.9 lbs and with a fully loaded magazine is 6.9 lbs.
The barrel length is 14.5 inches.
The muzzle velocity is 2900 ft/sec.
It possessives a NATO m1913 flat-top rail for attachment of optical sights. The issued rear sight is a M16A4 target style sight adjustable for windage and elevation to 600m.
The effective range is 600m.
It can accept the M203 grenade launcher.
The magazine for the M4 holds 30 rounds.

NousDefionsDoc 03-10-2006 20:30

I got google too.

Tell me more.

Bob1984 03-10-2006 23:44

Deleted due to lack of SA.

The Reaper 03-10-2006 23:50

Bob:

You are barely old enough to own a rifle, and you live in a state where it is probably illegal to own an M-4.

The question was directed at 18Bs, which you are not.

What you are parrotting is what you read, saw, or heard, not what you know. Please keep in your lane and comment on your personal experience.

I don't need to see pictures of AF pogues posing with PJs weapons, gangsta style. We have our own pics of US with our weapons, downrange.

Mark LaRue does not make a red dot sight, he makes mostly mounts and targets.

Have a very SF day.

Apologies to NDD for stepping on the thread again.

TR

M4Guru 03-11-2006 07:13

I wish my M4 weighed 5.9 pounds...not 15.9.

Guess I just need to get stronger...:lifter

:p

It's an M16A2 style sight.

The Army used the M4 for almost a decade without having a round suited for it's barrel length and twist, giving the "ice pick" effect up hitting a human target. Only recently did the Mk 262 give adequate lethality. Just in time for SOCOM to select a new rifle.:confused:

It has a chrome-lined bore, and modified feed ramps cut into the upper...

Current M4 is 3rd burst, M4A1 has the fun button....

Original ones used the A2 upper receiver...

It's early on saturday. I'll come up with some better stuff once I've had my coffee.

Roguish Lawyer 03-15-2006 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4Guru
It's early on saturday. I'll come up with some better stuff once I've had my coffee.

It is now Wednesday. :munchin

M4Guru 03-15-2006 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
It is now Wednesday. :munchin

Ghost Recon came out for XBOX 360 this week. My priorities have shifted from real weapons to digital ones.

There's some grand iriony in a 10 year old playing as an SF guy slaying a bunch of real SF guys online...

The Reaper 03-15-2006 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4Guru
Ghost Recon came out for XBOX 360 this week. My priorities have shifted from real weapons to digital ones.

There's some grand iriony in a 10 year old playing as an SF guy slaying a bunch of real SF guys online...

I don't know any SF guys with the spare time to play online games.

Are you sure?

TR

M4Guru 03-15-2006 20:48

I wish I didn't have time boss. There's about 20 of us sitting here at SWC waiting for DA to get our orders to us so we can go to group. I've been sitting here since November 2005, healthy as a horse, chomping at the bit. Last thing I wanna do right now is sit here playing games when I could be going to schools or on deployment. If it wasn't for some of the folks I've met here and at SOCnet, I doubt anyone we'd be going anywhere in the next 6. Hopefully that all sorted out, though.

ETA: It was an SF guy from 3rd group that told me to buy the game...they were glad to have something to replace HALO 2, said it was getting boring.

kgoerz 03-15-2006 20:53

M-4

Right before I retired (was at SFAUC) we went to West Point to shoot with their Pistol Team. We put them thru CMMS and CQB. They were only in their 2nd year there. After two weeks with us they all wanted to go SF. We met the Team who was making the Army Video Game. They asked my opinion. I told them when the men are moving or running in the game the sights need to move or get bigger. Make it more difficult to shoot when the heart rate is up. They actually put it in the game. War is no game but I would never say that the realism of some games out there for computers (X-box/P-Station are garbage). It's just like Simmunitions. A training tool.
Doc...About the M-4 I am not a qualified Armalite Tech.