Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons Discussion Area (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   RUGER VAQUERO (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54596)

cbtengr 12-16-2019 18:46

RUGER VAQUERO
 
1 Attachment(s)
Christmas came early this year. Decided to treat myself to a stainless steel Ruger .357 magnum 4.62 inch barrel. Regarding that box of ammo in the picture, I'm too cheap to buy the .357 magnum bullets LOL. I ordered one box of 250 rounds, they billed me for one but sent four boxes. They inform me they do not allow returns on ammunition I guess I'm stuck with those additional 750 rounds. Much thanks to Box for his advice he gave me much to think about.

Attachment 36086

Box 12-16-2019 20:17

Nice looking six shooter.

You are going to have a good time with it. Now all you need is a cowboy hat and some jingly spurs !!!

tonyz 12-16-2019 21:44

Cbtengr best wishes for many happy and healthy years with your new pistola.

have_gun 12-17-2019 11:12

Next?
 
1 Attachment(s)
If I may offer a suggestion: A Stainless Steel .357 Magnum Lever Action Rifle to match that handsome pistol!

Box 12-17-2019 12:19

hm....
The Ruger Vaquero is a fine modern day interpretation of the Single Action Army pistol that helped win the American West.

While I am a big fan of Marlin rifles...
...a YUGE fan of the Marlin 1894 Series specifically, I must zealously disagree with your suggestion that a Marlin would be the correct rifle to pair with a Vaquero.
That would be like the wait staff at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse suggesting that he pair his Bone-In filet with a glass of Moscato.

- if ever someone needs a rifle to pair with the SAA or any one of its numerous clones, that rifle would be a Winchester Model of 1873 - the RIFLE that helped win the west - perhaps even a Model 66 were he so inclined...
...and that rifle should be chambered in the exact same caliber as his pistol so all in the Universe can be at peace.


Honest mistake - this one is on the house - just try to be more careful next time so we dont get a rip in the very fabric of time and space

cbtengr 12-17-2019 13:01

1 Attachment(s)
My rifle, not a MDL 73 however a MDL 92 32-20. Were I to get a rifle it would be as you suggested in the same calibre as my handgun.

Attachment 36088

Box 12-17-2019 13:23

THAT is a nice rifle.

any idea when it was built?

cbtengr 12-17-2019 14:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 654409)
THAT is a nice rifle.

any idea when it was built?

1912, I got it at the big Louisville show a few years back, I have a Carbine same calibre and condition mfd in 1914. Fun to shoot and reload for.

Attachment 36089

have_gun 12-17-2019 14:56

Thank you for the re-direction
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 654407)
hm....
The Ruger Vaquero is a fine modern day interpretation of the Single Action Army pistol that helped win the American West.

While I am a big fan of Marlin rifles...
...a YUGE fan of the Marlin 1894 Series specifically, I must zealously disagree with your suggestion that a Marlin would be the correct rifle to pair with a Vaquero.
That would be like the wait staff at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse suggesting that he pair his Bone-In filet with a glass of Moscato.

- if ever someone needs a rifle to pair with the SAA or any one of its numerous clones, that rifle would be a Winchester Model of 1873 - the RIFLE that helped win the west - perhaps even a Model 66 were he so inclined...
...and that rifle should be chambered in the exact same caliber as his pistol so all in the Universe can be at peace.


Honest mistake - this one is on the house - just try to be more careful next time so we dont get a rip in the very fabric of time and space

My apologies, I was careless and grabbed the first pic I found without regard for the correct genre, obviously in disregard for the intended audience.

As you stated, the caliber must match that of the pistol for to do otherwise may result in more than just a rip in space and time, but carrying excess ammo.

I prefer a hearty Cabernet Sauvignon with my Filet.

Badger52 12-18-2019 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 654394)
Christmas came early this year.

:D That is a fine lookin' gun. I had one awhile back in 45 Colt, 3-1/2" bbl. Fun belly gun with a big bang. Some real fun with these can be had after learning it, you, and the cartridge; then carry it over to the flannel shirts at the rifle range & start lobbing them onto a target at 100yds and further.

Merry Christmas! Very pretty indeed, sir.
;)

cbtengr 12-18-2019 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 654415)
.......... start lobbing them onto a target at 100yds and further. Merry Christmas! Very pretty indeed, sir.


So are you available to teach me how to hit something at 100 yds. with it? :D

Badger52 12-18-2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 654416)
So are you available to teach me how to hit something at 100 yds. with it? :D

If I survive this pneumonia thing. Use a 6 o'clock hold, just keep shooting the same load at increasing distances and you will learn how "proud" to have that front sight above the notch. There are also some fun readings from Elmer Keith; one of his jobs seemed to be to inflict ridicule against know-nothing writers. One called a shot of his "lucky" after it was done, on demand in front of him, and he famously replied:

"Well, it does seem the more I practice the luckier I get."

cbtengr 12-18-2019 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 654422)
If I survive this pneumonia thing. Use a 6 o'clock hold, just keep shooting the same load at increasing distances and you will learn how "proud" to have that front sight above the notch. There are also some fun readings from Elmer Keith; one of his jobs seemed to be to inflict ridicule against know-nothing writers. One called a shot of his "lucky" after it was done, on demand in front of him, and he famously replied:

"Well, it does seem the more I practice the luckier I get."

Pneumonia no fun ! I use to get that once every couple years then I quit smoking in 2011, a very smart move on my part. And then the I received a pneumonia vaccination. I have not had any problems since. I wish you well!

I shall take your advice as far as practice is concerned. I just got a set of loading dies today powder and primers I plan on having lots of fun. Take care of yourself and Merry Christmas!

cat in the hat 12-18-2019 19:18

Cool coincidence
 
Just today Mom gave me my Uncle Norman's model 94 , 30-30.
As well as his model 62 , .22.

The 22 was the gun I learned to shoot with and the 30-30 was used to take my first deer.

They will not be safe queens and if Skadi favors me they will put me at on the table.

Badger52 12-19-2019 06:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat in the hat (Post 654434)
As well as his model 62 , .22.

The 22 was the gun I learned to shoot with

Likewise. Congrats on that. Those little things are slick; and a good one is worth every penny. Load up a tube of CB Longs & watch big grown men paste big stupid grins on their faces.

cbtengr 12-19-2019 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat in the hat (Post 654434)
Just today Mom gave me my Uncle Norman's model 94 , 30-30.
As well as his model 62 , .22.

The 22 was the gun I learned to shoot with and the 30-30 was used to take my first deer.

They will not be safe queens and if Skadi favors me they will put me at on the table.

That is great! My mom gave me a single shot 20 gauge with a six inch split in the barrel, she meant well :D.

mojaveman 12-19-2019 13:38

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Just today Mom gave me my Uncle Norman's model 94 , 30-30.
Have always had a thing with lever guns. Maybe it's all of the westerns I watched as a kid. :D

cat in the hat 12-19-2019 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 654447)
That is great! My mom gave me a single shot 20 gauge with a six inch split in the barrel, she meant well :D.

Hindsight, wish I had gotten my New Vaquero in .38/357 instead of 45LC.

Then again, it's a good reason to start reloading my own.

And no reason I can't still find another, still space in the gun safe. (The only safe space I care about)

Oh, and lesson learned, practice the quick draws and fancy tricks over a thick carpet. I've dropped mine more than once but no dings yet.

Ret10Echo 12-19-2019 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat in the hat (Post 654462)
Hindsight, wish I had gotten my New Vaquero in .38/357 instead of 45LC.

Then again, it's a good reason to start reloading my own.

And no reason I can't still find another, still space in the gun safe. (The only safe space I care about)

Oh, and lesson learned, practice the quick draws and fancy tricks over a thick carpet. I've dropped mine more than once but no dings yet.

I'm a Ruger wheel gun fan and anything in .357 is great... having the .38 option for range time is nice as well. And if you are a fan of lever action there are some nice pistol caliber (.357) carbines that are quite enjoyable.

I've also eyeballed the Coonan but haven't taken the plunge.

cbtengr 12-19-2019 19:01

Me too
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojaveman (Post 654459)
Have always had a thing with lever guns. Maybe it's all of the westerns I watched as a kid. :D

So do I, most of them are in the pic. I did not discover the Rifles till I was an adult, then I could not get enough of them. 30-30, 38-55, 32-40, 25-35 and .32 , 1/2 RND 1/2 OCT. barrel all MDL 94's. All kinds of configurations.

Attachment 36096

Badger52 12-19-2019 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 654467)
So do I, most of them are in the pic.

:lifter

Utah Bob 01-05-2020 18:21

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, the Vaquero is not a modern day Colt. It is a highly improved single action. Stainless steel, coil spring, floating pin, etc. Much more robust than Col. Colt’s design. I have been shooting a pair of them in 45 Colt in Cowboy Matches for 20 years. An old Sheriff’s model and a newer model with a 4 3/4” bbl. They are tough And their companion is a Marlin CB94. No need to pair a modern design Vaquero with a 66 or 73 Winchester at all. Now if you were shooting for instance a Uberti Single Action Army clone and wanted to be historically correct that would be another matter.
I do shoot an 1860 Henry in 44-40 for fun. Very accurate but pretty heavy. Looks like I won’t get much shooting done in the future though. Our club just lost the range.

cbtengr 01-28-2020 18:46

Holster for my Ruger
 
1 Attachment(s)
I could have easily bought a really nice custom holster, I was amazed at how reasonably priced they are. Decided to make my own. This is my second effort, my first one is practical but not very polished. My stitching needs improvement but overall I am pleased with this one. The cartridge belt is a work in progress.

Attachment 36173

PSM 01-28-2020 20:37

You a leftie? :D Nice work.

I want a good Cowboy pistol and rig to wear when we go up to Tombstone for lunch. I like to fit in. ;)

Badger52 01-29-2020 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utah Bob (Post 654644)
Much more robust than Col. Colt’s design.

.....

Looks like I won’t get much shooting done in the future though. Our club just lost the range.

I agree completely on the mechanics of the design. Poofy loads are one thing, but my 3-1/2" also regulary throws 275gr. hardcast 'Keith' SWC's in front of a stout load of 2400. The old SAA doesn't like a diet like that.

Sorry to hear about the range, truly. One of the 2 I'm a member at (the nearest one naturally) is temporarily closed as a battle is fought with the RR. The range has been there since before the Army Air Corps adopted a monoplane, and the railroad brought a holding spur up nearby a few years ago for the sand mine and one of their employees doesn't "feel safe" occasionally. The fight goes on; it's another way they attack.

@cbtengr That is REALLY nice work. :lifter

cbtengr 01-29-2020 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 655059)
You a leftie? :D Nice work.

I want a good Cowboy pistol and rig to wear when we go up to Tombstone for lunch. I like to fit in. ;)

Thank you! I am what one might call semi ambidextrous, I shoot and bowl left handed. I learned early in my Army life that the M16 was not designed for us lefties and brass deflectors were not always an option, that brass has a tendency to get kind of hot.

And thank you Badger!

PSM 01-29-2020 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 655071)
I am what one might call semi ambidextrous, I shoot and bowl left handed. I learned early in my Army life that the M16 was not designed for us lefties and brass deflectors were not always an option, that brass has a tendency to get kind of hot.

Our son is left eye dominant. He was ambidextrous until some time in elementary school where he settled on righthandedness. Not sure why. I told him it was a great skill to have along the lines of "two is one, one is none" thinking.

Still, he shoots long guns, including his M-16/M-4s, left handed and handguns right handed using his left eye. His personal AR is a Del-Ton like mine and tosses the brass forward at about 2 o'clock. I actually put a small box at that position and it easily collects the brass for me.

Badger52 01-29-2020 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 655086)
Our son is left eye dominant. He was ambidextrous until some time in elementary school where he settled on righthandedness. Not sure why. I told him it was a great skill to have along the lines of "two is one, one is none" thinking.

+1 As with many things they can still be learned later. I still throw right but the ability (with lots of work) to switch hit used to help our tavern league ball team drink the other's beer for quite awhile. ('Course I wasn't all bent & dented as I am now.) :cool:

Box 01-29-2020 16:04

Color me schooled - I did not realize there were notable differences with the Vaquero. I always thought it was just Ruger doing a 'repro' of the SAA.
It sounds like the Vaquero is more of a Blackhawk with a cowboy makeover than SAA built to withstand modern ammo.

I shoot an Uberti Cattleman with a brass trigger guard and back strap (two matching Ubertis actually) to match my Model-66.

I'd really like to find some period correct SAA pistols chambered in 44-40 and a Model-73 to use for "Classic Cowboy" but it seems like every time I find a pistol chambered in 44-40 is priced waaaaaaaay outside of my recreational gun budget.
...and I need TWO of them

Badger52 01-29-2020 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 655099)
Color me schooled - I did not realize there were notable differences with the Vaquero. I always thought it was just Ruger doing a 'repro' of the SAA.
It sounds like the Vaquero is more of a Blackhawk with a cowboy makeover than SAA built to withstand modern ammo.

I shoot an Uberti Cattleman with a brass trigger guard and back strap (two matching Ubertis actually) to match my Model-66.

I'd really like to find some period correct SAA pistols chambered in 44-40 and a Model-73 to use for "Classic Cowboy" but it seems like every time I find a pistol chambered in 44-40 is priced waaaaaaaay outside of my recreational gun budget.
...and I need TWO of them

You're assumption about the Vaquero's construction is correct; it's the reason you can run Keith-like 45 Colt loads through it.

For awhile on a whim I had an Uberti SAA rendering in 44 Winchester Central (or Center depending upon which early notes one sees) Fire and a matching Model 92 carbine. Slight PITA loading, taking care of the brass, but it was a real hoot and checked my little kid box, having a sixgun and carbine both in the same caliber. Had to tweak the extraction/ejection functions on the Model 92 so as not to beat up my brass so bad, but after I did it ran like a turpentined cat. Took a big doe with that carbine too come to think of it... Good enough for the Duke.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10.


Copyright 2004-2020 by Professional Soldiers ®