Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons Discussion Area (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   RUGER VAQUERO (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54596)

cbtengr 12-16-2019 18:46

RUGER VAQUERO

1 Attachment(s)
Christmas came early this year. Decided to treat myself to a stainless steel Ruger .357 magnum 4.62 inch barrel. Regarding that box of ammo in the picture, I'm too cheap to buy the .357 magnum bullets LOL. I ordered one box of 250 rounds, they billed me for one but sent four boxes. They inform me they do not allow returns on ammunition I guess I'm stuck with those additional 750 rounds. Much thanks to Box for his advice he gave me much to think about.

Attachment 36086

Box 12-16-2019 20:17

Nice looking six shooter.

You are going to have a good time with it. Now all you need is a cowboy hat and some jingly spurs !!!

tonyz 12-16-2019 21:44

Cbtengr best wishes for many happy and healthy years with your new pistola.

have_gun 12-17-2019 11:12

Next?

1 Attachment(s)
If I may offer a suggestion: A Stainless Steel .357 Magnum Lever Action Rifle to match that handsome pistol!

Box 12-17-2019 12:19

hm....
The Ruger Vaquero is a fine modern day interpretation of the Single Action Army pistol that helped win the American West.

While I am a big fan of Marlin rifles...
...a YUGE fan of the Marlin 1894 Series specifically, I must zealously disagree with your suggestion that a Marlin would be the correct rifle to pair with a Vaquero.
That would be like the wait staff at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse suggesting that he pair his Bone-In filet with a glass of Moscato.

- if ever someone needs a rifle to pair with the SAA or any one of its numerous clones, that rifle would be a Winchester Model of 1873 - the RIFLE that helped win the west - perhaps even a Model 66 were he so inclined...
...and that rifle should be chambered in the exact same caliber as his pistol so all in the Universe can be at peace.

Honest mistake - this one is on the house - just try to be more careful next time so we dont get a rip in the very fabric of time and space

cbtengr 12-17-2019 13:01

1 Attachment(s)
My rifle, not a MDL 73 however a MDL 92 32-20. Were I to get a rifle it would be as you suggested in the same calibre as my handgun.

Attachment 36088

Box 12-17-2019 13:23

THAT is a nice rifle.

any idea when it was built?

cbtengr 12-17-2019 14:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 654409)
THAT is a nice rifle.

any idea when it was built?

1912, I got it at the big Louisville show a few years back, I have a Carbine same calibre and condition mfd in 1914. Fun to shoot and reload for.

Attachment 36089

have_gun 12-17-2019 14:56

Thank you for the re-direction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 654407)
hm....
The Ruger Vaquero is a fine modern day interpretation of the Single Action Army pistol that helped win the American West.

While I am a big fan of Marlin rifles...
...a YUGE fan of the Marlin 1894 Series specifically, I must zealously disagree with your suggestion that a Marlin would be the correct rifle to pair with a Vaquero.
That would be like the wait staff at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse suggesting that he pair his Bone-In filet with a glass of Moscato.

- if ever someone needs a rifle to pair with the SAA or any one of its numerous clones, that rifle would be a Winchester Model of 1873 - the RIFLE that helped win the west - perhaps even a Model 66 were he so inclined...
...and that rifle should be chambered in the exact same caliber as his pistol so all in the Universe can be at peace.

Honest mistake - this one is on the house - just try to be more careful next time so we dont get a rip in the very fabric of time and space

My apologies, I was careless and grabbed the first pic I found without regard for the correct genre, obviously in disregard for the intended audience.

As you stated, the caliber must match that of the pistol for to do otherwise may result in more than just a rip in space and time, but carrying excess ammo.

I prefer a hearty Cabernet Sauvignon with my Filet.

Badger52 12-18-2019 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 654394)
Christmas came early this year.

:D That is a fine lookin' gun. I had one awhile back in 45 Colt, 3-1/2" bbl. Fun belly gun with a big bang. Some real fun with these can be had after learning it, you, and the cartridge; then carry it over to the flannel shirts at the rifle range & start lobbing them onto a target at 100yds and further.

Merry Christmas! Very pretty indeed, sir.
;)

cbtengr 12-18-2019 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 654415)
.......... start lobbing them onto a target at 100yds and further. Merry Christmas! Very pretty indeed, sir.

So are you available to teach me how to hit something at 100 yds. with it? :D

Badger52 12-18-2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 654416)
So are you available to teach me how to hit something at 100 yds. with it? :D

If I survive this pneumonia thing. Use a 6 o'clock hold, just keep shooting the same load at increasing distances and you will learn how "proud" to have that front sight above the notch. There are also some fun readings from Elmer Keith; one of his jobs seemed to be to inflict ridicule against know-nothing writers. One called a shot of his "lucky" after it was done, on demand in front of him, and he famously replied:

"Well, it does seem the more I practice the luckier I get."

cbtengr 12-18-2019 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 654422)
If I survive this pneumonia thing. Use a 6 o'clock hold, just keep shooting the same load at increasing distances and you will learn how "proud" to have that front sight above the notch. There are also some fun readings from Elmer Keith; one of his jobs seemed to be to inflict ridicule against know-nothing writers. One called a shot of his "lucky" after it was done, on demand in front of him, and he famously replied:

"Well, it does seem the more I practice the luckier I get."

Pneumonia no fun ! I use to get that once every couple years then I quit smoking in 2011, a very smart move on my part. And then the I received a pneumonia vaccination. I have not had any problems since. I wish you well!

I shall take your advice as far as practice is concerned. I just got a set of loading dies today powder and primers I plan on having lots of fun. Take care of yourself and Merry Christmas!

cat in the hat 12-18-2019 19:18

Cool coincidence

Just today Mom gave me my Uncle Norman's model 94 , 30-30.
As well as his model 62 , .22.

The 22 was the gun I learned to shoot with and the 30-30 was used to take my first deer.

They will not be safe queens and if Skadi favors me they will put me at on the table.

Badger52 12-19-2019 06:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat in the hat (Post 654434)
As well as his model 62 , .22.

The 22 was the gun I learned to shoot with

Likewise. Congrats on that. Those little things are slick; and a good one is worth every penny. Load up a tube of CB Longs & watch big grown men paste big stupid grins on their faces.