Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Qualification Course (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Leave during SFQC? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48366)

Brennus 03-13-2015 17:49

Leave during SFQC?

My question is, is leave allowed between phases at SFQC?

And if it is, if I had a certain event I wanted to attend, is an individual allowed to postpone beginning a phase to ensure they are allowed leave?

If specificity matters, the event is my sisters wedding and its Memorial Day weekend 2016. I'm going to MEPS Monday and I'm looking at a July ship date. My parents are pleading I push my enlistment back at least a year because they feel thats the only way I can be certain I can attend.

Open to any advice.

Also, its probably dangerous that my second post is a thread and that I'm seeking information beyond SFAS, but I searched to no avail besides something about hardship leave.

Thanks

Team Sergeant 03-13-2015 18:04

Sure and you can ask the nice Special Forces instructors if they will allow you to make all your travel arrangements on their cell phones too.....

Maybe justin bieber will loan you his private jet to take you back and forth.

Whatever you need Sally, I'm sure they will work with you on this oh so important day of days. Maybe a mani-pedis before you leave camp?

Just wait until the rest of the SF guys chime in and tell you have many times they missed their kids birth due to mission requirements...... You must be part of the entitlement generation.....

xollie316 03-13-2015 18:08

Not something you should be worried about right now. The Q Course changes daily it seems so any advice will be almost irrelevant come the event in question. But the most likely answer is, "no". Go get Selected. Good luck.

sinjefe 03-13-2015 18:10

It never would have occurred to me to take leave during SFQC.

xollie316 03-13-2015 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinjefe (Post 578091)
It never would have occurred to me to take leave during SFQC.

Verdad. Stay in SWC / Q Course even longer? No gracias. Survive, advance, get to the regiment. They'll give you pcs leave. Maybe.

Brennus 03-13-2015 18:21

Understood. Thank you.

glebo 03-14-2015 04:57

wow, really???

What's your priority???

LV or Special Forces Soldier...

miclo18d 03-14-2015 05:55

I missed my Grandfather's funeral because I had a SFMS test on the Monday he was to be buried.

I could maybe see it if YOU are marrying your sister but that is frowned upon in Special Forces, FYI.

Qdini 03-14-2015 06:06

Save that leave!

Short answer is No, probably not. However, there are always exceptions. Don't count on it.

Perhaps you should consider saving that leave time during SFQC and take it mid-cycle during Ranger School. Nothing like catching up on sleep and chow, say between the Mountain and Florida Phase.
I hear they also approve mid-course leaves during CDQC (Combat Diver Qualification Course) so you can attend more important functions and to rest up between open and closed circuit diving phases.
Word of advice; don't waste your leave during MFF Training, it's like a sky diving vacation in sunny Arizona!

If your leave is turned down; another way to accomplish this is simply ask to recycle a phase so you'll have time to take leave. I'm sure your 1SG will consider this an excellent idea.

Yeah...that's the ticket!

Seriously, if you are considering taking leave during SFQC, you are not mentally ready to attend.
Save your family, yourself and the Army a lot of time/trouble and decide to totally commit before you start down the SF path.
Many a SF guy has missed more important life events than his sister's wedding because of mission requirements.

I suspect you don't have a good grasp on what being a SF soldier is all about. That should have been "Step #1" before you signed up for the X-ray Program.
No worries though, Assessment and Selection will "-splain" it all to you.

Good luck to you!

PS: "Needs of the Army" can be unpleasant.

abc_123 03-14-2015 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 578089)

Just wait until the rest of the SF guys chime in and tell you have many times they missed their kids birth due to mission requirements....

Got that T Shirt!

fred111 03-14-2015 07:59

You have got to be kidding!!!!! I missed my brother's wedding when while in the Q course in 1970. He understood as did the rest of my family.

If you are even questioning this, your head is in the wrong place and you should forget even attempting the program.

koz 03-14-2015 12:48

But on a positive note, she'll probably get divorced anyway so maybe you can go to the second wedding. :D

UWOA (RIP) 03-14-2015 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred111 (Post 578139)
You have got to be kidding!!!!! I missed my brother's wedding when while in the Q course in 1970. He understood as did the rest of my family.

If you are even questioning this, your head is in the wrong place and you should forget even attempting the program.

But on the other hand, Fred got to meet and know me .... :p

glebo 03-15-2015 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by miclo18d (Post 578130)
I missed my Grandfather's funeral because I had a SFMS test on the Monday he was to be buried.

I could maybe see it if YOU are marrying your sister but that is frowned upon in Special Forces, FYI.

That may depend on what TM you're on...:eek:

1stindoor 03-18-2015 06:05

If he waits long enough he may be able to have his sister in his SFAS class....'course it would be awkward if she got selected and he didn't.