Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   TAPS (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Staff Sergeant Jack Mayfield Martin III (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25304)

Team Sergeant 10-01-2009 19:43

Staff Sergeant Jack Mayfield Martin III

1 Attachment(s)
Staff Sergeant Jack Mayfield Martin III
Sept. 29, 2009
Operation Enduring Freedom-Philippines
Staff Sgt. Jack Mayfield Martin III, 26, of Bethany, Okla. died after his vehicle struck an improvised explosive device Sept. 29, 2009 on Jolo Island, Philippines.
Martin was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Lewis, Wash. and was deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom-Philippines. This was Martin’s first deployment in support of OEF-P; he was a veteran of Operation Iraq Freedom.
Martin, the youngest of five children was born in Maquoketa, Iowa and spent his childhood and teen years growing up in Iowa and Bethany, Okla.
He entered military service in 2001 and was selected to attend the Special Forces Qualification Course in 2004. Upon completion of SFQC, he was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) at Fort Lewis, Wash.
Martin’s military education includes the Basic Airborne Course, Warrior Leader Course, Basic Non-commissioned Officer Course, Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape Course and the Special Forces Qualification Course.
His awards and decorations include Army Achievement Medals, the Army Good Conduct Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Iraq Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the Non-commissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon and the Army Service Ribbon, the Special Forces tab, the Parachutist Badge and the Combat Infantryman Badge.
He was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart, and the Meritorious Service Medal.
Martin is survived by his wife Ashley of Tacoma, Wash. He is also survived by his father and mother Jack and Cheryl Martin of Bethany, Okla; and his brother, Abe, and three sisters Mandi, Amber and Abi.
For further information, media should contact the Special Forces Command Public Affairs Office during duty hours at 910-643-8438 or after duty hours at 910-429-4165.
- DE OPPRESSO LIBER –
SEPTEMBER 30, 2009

http://news.soc.mil/Memorial%20Wall/...G%20Martin.pdf

Odin 10-01-2009 20:01

Shit.

Jack and I went through the entire Q course together. We met that first day at SWCC standing up on a little patch of grass where the Deltas formed up. I dont think I will ever forget our skit in BNCOC when he came out of a hut wearing nothing but a poncho as a cape, LCE and boots. The instructors, who probably thought they had seen it all, were mortified. While we were taking Chinese at Lewis, we used to go head to head at a local Crossfit gym. He was a stud!
Jack , you were a good m'fer and you'll definitely be missed. Thanks for your service.

I have been told that the memorial for Jack will be 1400 6OCT at the chapel across from group.

RIP

ODIN

Rogue 10-01-2009 20:30

Rest in God's Peace, and prayers out to the family

HOLLiS 10-01-2009 21:48

Rest In Peace, my condolences to his family and friends. Blue skies.

The Reaper 10-01-2009 22:19

RIP, brother.

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

TR

Roguish Lawyer 10-01-2009 22:31

RIP and thank you

greenberetTFS 10-01-2009 23:19

Rest in Peace, Warrior ...................:(

Big Teddy

gtcrispy 10-01-2009 23:34

RIP Brother. You and Chris will be missed.

dennisw 10-01-2009 23:58

RIP Hero Soldier. You did your duty and we are all in your debt. My heart goes out to your family in this time of deep sadness. I cannot imagine their sorrow, even though the scenario has been played out too many times in my imagination over too many deployments. I only hope that they catch the shit fingers who planned this. The ones who paid the money for this chicken shit IED to be planted. When they do, God have mercy on their souls.

wet dog 10-02-2009 00:35

Rest in Peace

RIP

LongWire 10-02-2009 00:56

RIP Brother........

JJ_BPK 10-02-2009 04:06

RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

Tatonka316 10-02-2009 04:57

Rest in Peace, SSG. Thank you for your service to our country. You will always be missed and NEVER forgotten.

molon labe

Surgicalcric 10-02-2009 04:58

Rest in Peace Brother............

Stras 10-02-2009 05:28

Rest in Peace