Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Prior service 18x? Going back active. (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27529)

ranger2339 02-06-2010 09:31

Prior service 18x? Going back active.

I tried to search the subject and couldn't find what I was looking for,maybe I wasn't searching with the correct key words, I'm not sure? Sorry in advance if this subject has been covered.

So I'm going back AD, I spent 3 years with the deuce from 99-02,had a couple years break in service, then decided to join the guard in 04. I just got my release from the guard last week, so now its off to the AD recruiter.

My initial plan was to go back on the line, pound around there for a bit, get in super stud shape, get a SF packet together with the local SF recruiter and attend SFAS. To my surprise the Army isn't taking any prior service 11B's right now, so I ask the recruiter about those 18x contracts I've been hearing about. The next day I come back and he says yes its something I can do. Great that's the best news I've heard all week.

I guess my question is, how does it work for guys like me,since I dont have to go to basic,AIT or Airborne school? Do I just get my orders and report to Bragg, get put in some training unit and then get ready for SFAS? Do I need to go to Airborne retrain, since its been about 8 years since my last jump?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

wet dog 02-06-2010 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger2339 (Post 313291)
I tried to search the subject and couldn't find what I was looking for,maybe I wasn't searching with the correct key words, I'm not sure? Sorry in advance if this subject has been covered.

So I'm going back AD, I spent 3 years with the deuce from 99-02,had a couple years break in service, then decided to join the guard in 04. I just got my release from the guard last week, so now its off to the AD recruiter.

My initial plan was to go back on the line, pound around there for a bit, get in super stud shape, get a SF packet together with the local SF recruiter and attend SFAS. To my surprise the Army isn't taking any prior service 11B's right now, so I ask the recruiter about those 18x contracts I've been hearing about. The next day I come back and he says yes its something I can do. Great that's the best news I've heard all week.

I guess my question is, how does it work for guys like me,since I dont have to go to basic,AIT or Airborne school? Do I just get my orders and report to Bragg, get put in some training unit and then get ready for SFAS? Do I need to go to Airborne retrain, since its been about 8 years since my last jump?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Why did you not transfer to an SF guard unit? They take applicants, have try-outs, trainers and can put on the SF path.

ranger2339 02-06-2010 10:09

I have no desire to be in the guard anymore, I want to go active. I have a family now (wife and child) so I need them to be covered, financially and medically when I'm gone.

Scimitar 02-06-2010 11:04

I was talking to 19th last week.

It seems possible to go thru ARNG, who I personally believe have better systems to prepare you, and then stick your hand up for Active Duty once you're out of the Q.

I'm not completely sure of the details or of its viability to fit your wants, but its definitely woth it for you to look into. I wouldn't write it off to soon.

In answer to your question…

The 18X pipeline is
11B-OSUT (Basic+11B School) / BAS (Jump School) / SOPC - Spec Op Prep Course (or whatever they call this now) / SFAS.

For prior service guys going 18X, depending on how long you've been out generally you will be slotted back into Basic at somewhere between week 3-10, ssome go to the Warrior Transition Course down in White Sands I think, but I doubt that's for you. Then you hit Jump school and SOPC.

In your case it sounds like they’ll give you OSUT (I’m guessing you where 11B in the Guard as well?)

So it’s looking like 3 weeks of Jump cos you’ve been away from that so long and then 4 weeks of SOPC (– is it still 4 weeks?)

The councilor at MEPS will give you a clear run down, but I'm guessing you want to get a feel of how much run time you have up to Selection so you can see how much time you have to prep?

HTH

Scimitar

Defion69 02-06-2010 11:06

I don't know if you are an NCO, if not, you would have to go through WLC. Since you haven't jumped in a while, you would have to go through abn refresher (provided...don't worry about too much). Aside from that, you most likely will go straight into the pipeline.

On that note, good luck and kick it in the butt. Sounds like you are a bit older than the guys going through the pipeline but don't let that (your age) discourage you one bit. I know a guy who just graduated the Q at 48 and another guy who graduated Ranger school at 42. Yeah it may hurt a bit more but don't listen to the naysayers (and there will be plenty).

Take care and kick it in the arse!

Blue skies

CoolT 02-06-2010 11:49

Consider yourself lucky there killer. I'm PS as well and there were no 18X contracts available while I was at MEPS. I had to take 11B. I've been in contact with the 1st sgt at SORB in Benning and he is supposed to hook me up with an SF recruiter once I get to my duty station.

Do any of you gents have an idea of the time line right now for getting hooked up with a recruiter at duty station to actually leaving for SFPC/SFAS? I've heard different times, ranging from 2 weeks to a few months. The shorter the better.

I'm scheduled to ship 20100301

deepblack 18x 02-06-2010 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolT (Post 313329)
Consider yourself lucky there killer. I'm PS as well and there were no 18X contracts available while I was at MEPS. I had to take 11B. I've been in contact with the 1st sgt at SORB in Benning and he is supposed to hook me up with an SF recruiter once I get to my duty station.

Do any of you gents have an idea of the time line right now for getting hooked up with a recruiter at duty station to actually leaving for SFPC/SFAS? I've heard different times, ranging from 2 weeks to a few months. The shorter the better.

I'm scheduled to ship 20100301

The 18X rep at the FSC just told us that they are now briefing qualified 11B guys at Benning on a switch to 18X. He said it had something to do with a lot of the guys losing their options in BCT.

DB

Scimitar 02-06-2010 12:06

Firstly,

I am pretty confident when I say there are ALWAYS 18x contracts, the question is WHEN are there 18X contracts.

The way the recruiting system works is a recruiter can only see open MOS slots that are something like 3 months out. When YOU enlisted there weren't any avaliable in THAT timeframe.

If you had asked they would have rang the Rock and opened a slot for you as they did for me.

However, it also may have been cos you didn't actually qualify for an 18X contract.

OPTIONS:
1) Go back to your recruiter advise him that you understand his mistake and request a ReNo to an 18X contract.

2) If you really want to you can push to be transfered over to 18X during 11B OSUT or BAC - Jump School. No gurantees.

It can take anywhere from perhaps 6 to 30+ months to get the the Q Course after getting to your first station, assuming you're Selected. What rank are you going in as? E2, E3, E4?

Are you sure you qualified for 18X? What makes you think you did?

Scimitar

greenberetTFS 02-06-2010 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger2339 (Post 313291)

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Josh,

How about filling out your public profile..............:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

Scimitar 02-06-2010 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepblack 18x (Post 313335)
The 18X rep at the FSC just told us that they are now briefing qualified 11B guys at Benning on a switch to 18X. He said it had something to do with a lot of the guys losing their options in BCT.

DB

Hey DB,

Thanks for the updated info. Could you explain in a little more detail. Briefing?, losing options?

S

ranger2339 02-06-2010 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenberetTFS (Post 313338)
Josh,

How about filling out your public profile..............:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

Big Teddy,

I was under the impression that once we were in the "pipeline", we should sterilize our info.?

Thanks,
Josh

CoolT 02-06-2010 12:34

Thanks for that intel. I didn't qual for 18X cause i'm 32. They told me my best option was to put in for SF once I got to my DS. However, I have heard that they will sometimes ask for 18X volunteers during initial training, as you stated above. If they come asking, i'll definatley be raising the hand.
Thanks again.

Scimitar 02-06-2010 12:37

Did you request an age waiver, there not to hard to get. Recruiters don't like the paperwork. What did they tell you exactly about the age thing. You didn't advise me of your entry rank.

I'd encourage you to be proactive, don't wait for them to come around, Ask you're DS during the later stages of OSUT or go during Airborne. Go to them, don't wait for them to come to you.

Do you otherwise qualify for an 18 series contract. Many a lad has gone in thinking he want to go SF, not realising he don't actually qualify.

S

Anevolution 02-06-2010 12:55

my .02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger2339 (Post 313340)
Big Teddy,
I was under the impression that once we were in the "pipeline", we should sterilize our info.?
Thanks,
Josh

Ranger,
He wasn't asking for you ssn or you zip code, they just want to know who you are and units served in etc. Also x2 on what DB said Mr.Olsen puts out good up to date info on futuresoldiercenter.com I would send him a pm on there he can sort you out, he is the Man. From what I understand 18x is always open maybe not when you went, but in the near future it will be if that's what you want don't take anything else. If it is not in your contract it may be awhile before you get to SFAS. Plus with the new pipline you get a lot more prep before hand.

V/r
Anevolution

ranger2339 02-06-2010 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defion69 (Post 313318)
I don't know if you are an NCO, if not, you would have to go through WLC. Since you haven't jumped in a while, you would have to go through abn refresher (provided...don't worry about too much). Aside from that, you most likely will go straight into the pipeline.

On that note, good luck and kick it in the butt. Sounds like you are a bit older than the guys going through the pipeline but don't let that (your age) discourage you one bit. I know a guy who just graduated the Q at 48 and another guy who graduated Ranger school at 42. Yeah it may hurt a bit more but don't listen to the naysayers (and there will be plenty).

Take care and kick it in the arse!

Blue skies

I'm an E-5 right now, I graduated Honor Grad at WLC (that course was a joke) About 75% of the "leaders" there should of been sent back to basic, or kicked out of the Army. I dont mind going back to ABN training at all, I welcome the challenge of any schools,it would be nice to hit up the Bragg Pre Ranger course before SFAS.

Im only 28 years old, not to old IMO. I was 19 when I went to Ranger school, pushing well into the extended scale on my APFT, my goal is to be in that shape before SFAS.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Josh