Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Survival During the Coming Election (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51662)

LarryW 11-03-2016 15:42

TR, what I found to be especially useful is your advice to prepare for food and gas shortages from now thru (probably) Spring. Respectfully suggest if one is relying on a bug-out option should the SHTF (vs garrison in place) to make a practice run from home base to that location, being mindful that if one has to bug-out all the main roads (Interstates & other 4-lanes) are probably going to be jammed. By-ways are better, so get good maps (don't rely on GPS).

In addition to a 1903 Springfield I have a Winchester .357 mag and a 870 in 16ga. I have what I think is a good supply of ammo (.357 and rifled slugs for the 870), but because "I think is good" tells me I don't know shit and need more. Below is a link to a cartridge source in OR that I've used, and have found the ammo to be reliable and consistent in good performance.

https://www.grizzlycartridge.com/

Paslode 11-03-2016 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryW (Post 618912)
TR, what I found to be especially useful is your advice to prepare for food and gas shortages from now thru (probably) Spring. Respectfully suggest if one is relying on a bug-out option should the SHTF (vs garrison in place) to make a practice run from home base to that location, being mindful that if one has to bug-out all the main roads (Interstates & other 4-lanes) are probably going to be jammed. By-ways are better, so get good maps (don't rely on GPS).

In addition to a 1903 Springfield I have a Winchester .357 mag and a 870 in 16ga. I have what I think is a good supply of ammo (.357 and rifled slugs for the 870), but because "I think is good" tells me I don't know shit and need more. Below is a link to a cartridge source in OR that I've used, and have found the ammo to be reliable and consistent in good performance.

That reminds me that I need to invest in a shotgun and ammo for it.

The Reaper 11-03-2016 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryW (Post 618912)

I am a fan of picking a good place to live and stay, rather than bugging out. I am getting too old to be on the road afoot. I do have family and friends I could drop in on, but I do not see the circumstances where that would be better than my current location.

Good weapons, but .357 could be difficult to find, and as a former 16 Gauge owner, that stuff is nearly impossible to locate, especially in buckshot loads.

My Winchester .357 carbine has also been finnicky, especially with .38 loads. Hope yours are better.

Love the '03.

TR

LarryW 11-03-2016 23:16

Yes, sir, TR. All very good gouge. The .38 is for the 3" wheel gun out in my truck. The Winchester uses .357 only. Yes, have suffered the finicky attitude of .38's in the Winchester. They are just that much too short for smooth action. .357 are fine but lousy if cycling is slow. One has to be deliberate and intentional. The 16ga is admittedly a hi-bred, but I picked it up cheap a few years back. Great condition and something to fill in for a house gun anyway. The thing thrives on rifled slugs (about the same ballistic performance as a .45-70 Govt). Cost for 16ga slugs is about $1/round (at least right now). Prefer ball ammo vice frangible stuff, too. Better penetratio0n. When using buckshot I prefer #1 vice 00. There's not enough difference between .33 cal (00) and .30 cal (#1) for me to sneeze at, and with singles I get more pellets/round. The '03 will put meat on the table if I stay in North America, and I have laid up a good amount of .30-06 ammo. Love it, and with the bayonet it adds a certain visual impression.

Yes, sir, I'm too well seasoned to abandon the garrison life and go a roving thru zombie-land. I'll stay put. I have a good backup of red beans and rice (6mos worth, plus) and enough room for a patch of potatoes and greens when the beans run low. There's a small year round spring fed stream that adjoins the back of the property. Enough hard wood around for kindling and a fire.

For recreation I'm a student of the French Resistance. At my age I find it reasonable to conclude being less visible is best. Just being the old fool who keeps to himself is a better profile for me. Type casting, actually. The dog agrees.

In the end there's only so much one can do if the bubble really goes up. Mine won't be for not fighting back, however.

Penn 11-09-2016 14:01

Protest in seven cities

On going...?

Yesterday, I found two comments to be rather odd, one was made by Juan XXX, on the Five at Fox news. He stated 'Not my President", and one was made by VAN XXX the Black cohost on various CNN panels. He stated that the election felt like a "Whitelash"....both of those were exclusionary statements, and seemed unnecessary as well as divisive. At odds with the P/Elect, POTUS, and Clinton's come together remarks.

Will it grow and become violent?:munchin

The protest that are happening now are using both as rally calls, that requires planning before the election results were in for it to occur today in seven cities simultaneously.

Ret10Echo 11-09-2016 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penn (Post 619359)
On going...?

What a boring news cycle without discord.

Trolling.... I'm sure someone will bite

Penn 11-09-2016 14:10

no F'IN TROLL HERE.....Turn on CNN

cbtengr 11-09-2016 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penn (Post 619359)
On going...?

Yesterday, I found two comments to be rather odd, one was made by Juan XXX, on the Five at Fox news. He stated 'Not my President", and one was made by VAN XXX the Black cohost on various CNN panels. He stated that the election felt like a "Whitelash"....both of those were exclusionary statements, and seemed unnecessary as well as divisive. At odds with the P/Elect, POTUS, and Clinton's come together remarks.

The protest that are happening now are using both as rally calls, that requires planning before the election results were in for it to occur today in seven cities simultaneously.

Juan XXX at FOX can thank his lucky stars that FOX feels sorry for stray dogs.

mojaveman 11-09-2016 14:33

Quote:

Will it grow and become violent?
Yes sir.

Wait, watch and see. ;)

Ret10Echo 11-09-2016 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penn (Post 619362)

Penn, Not in reference to you....

No slight intended

I read the Moveon blog post seeking to inspire reactions.

Penn 11-09-2016 14:54

RET10E, my misunderstanding, my sincere apologies for over reacting, I must be getting soft...I'll check out www.moveon.org, is that correct?

Old Dog New Trick 11-09-2016 15:27

Breaking news in Seattle.

Five victims of gun shots as part of protests in Seattle.

Don't know if it's protesters or bystanders. It was a major intersection in the shopping district.

Yes, it's going to get worse.

Joker 11-09-2016 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penn (Post 619362)

BOO HOO! :boohoo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick (Post 619377)
Breaking news in Seattle.

Five victims of gun shots as part of protests in Seattle.

Don't know if it's protesters or bystanders. It was a major intersection in the shopping district.

Yes, it's going to get worse.

Culling the herd. :munchin

Old Dog New Trick 11-09-2016 19:21

Update to shooting: just typical random shooting in downtown Seattle. 3rd and Pike where all the drugies hang out waiting for social services to provide them with free heroine. Nothing to see here, move along.

Ret10Echo 11-09-2016 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penn (Post 619372)
...I'll check out www.moveon.org, is that correct?

That's the place