Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   In Memory Of (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   CSM(R) Robert Gallagher (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47268)

The Reaper 10-23-2014 14:38

CSM(R) Robert Gallagher

I served with Bob Gallagher and he was one of the finest soldiers I ever met.

You may recall his character from "Blackhawk Down."

The last time I saw him was on television in 2003.

He was a Battalion CSM in a 3rd ID Infantry unit and his troops were in contact in Baghdad under an overpass.

Bob was slinging lead with the troops when he was hit in the leg. He kept advancing (limping) and shooting until the contact had slacked off and they put him on a stretcher. As they carried him off, he pulled out his pistol and continued firing at the enemy.

He was a helluva soldier and a good man.

You will be missed, Bob.

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

Save me a good seat on the other side.

TR

Decorated soldier from 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52

Published October 23, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/23...ia-dies-at-52/

Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher was in Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1993 and in Baghdad for the U.S. invasion in 2003. When he retired, he worked to serve soldiers. He died on Oct. 13 at age 52. (3rd Infantry Division/Facebook)

A decorated soldier who participated in the Somalia battle immortalized by Hollywood blockbuster “Black Hawk Down” was reportedly found dead in his Georgia home earlier this month.

Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher, 52, died of natural causes as a result of a heart condition, the Army Times reports. He served as the command sergeant major for the Army’s Wounded Warrior Program, but had extensive experience in major combat operations, including Operation Just Cause in Panama and with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia, which was later made famous by the 2001 film.

“You know, I don’t say this lightly, but Bob is probably one of, probably the best soldier I ever served with, retired Col. Greg Gadson told the newspaper. “That man really cared about soldiers.”

Born in Bayonne, N.J., Gallagher joined the Army in 1981 and later earned several awards and decorations, including a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars. He earned the Silver Star in 2002 during Operation Iraqi Freedom as troops advanced from Kuwait to Baghdad, when he suffered a leg wound but continued to direct his men.

“The best day and worst day of my life was when I served in Mogadishu, Somalia, on October 3, 1993, as part of Task Force Ranger,” Gallagher said in 2010. “It was the worst day, because we lost 18 soldiers and 84 others, including myself, were wounded. It was the best day of my life because it showed the incredible performance of our warriors in long-protracted battle under extraordinary circumstances in an urban environment. Throughout it all, the warriors that fought that day performed in a manner that was consistent with the values of our nation, and I was very proud of that.”

A memorial ceremony is scheduled for Oct. 31 at Fort Benning in Georgia. Gallagher will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, but a date has not yet been determined. He is survived by his wife, Denene, and sons Patrick and Sean.

(1VB)compforce 10-23-2014 15:03

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...a-Iraq-dies-52

There's more info and a picture of him fighting while the leg wound is being dressed.

I met him once. He was what I always thought a SNCO should be. RIP CSM and condolences to the family and friends he left behind.

cbtengr 10-23-2014 15:06

RIP CSM ! Thank you for sharing that info TR.

nousdefions 10-23-2014 15:47

Rest in God's Peace, Warrior. The land of the Free because of the Brave

JJ_BPK 10-23-2014 16:49

RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

SF_BHT 10-23-2014 17:22

Rest in Peace CSM

miclo18d 10-23-2014 17:25

RLTW CSM!!!! Sad to hear another warrior leave the battlefield.

Sohei 10-23-2014 19:40

Rest In Peace, Warrior and thank you for your many years of service and sacrifice.

My condolences to those that knew him personally, as well as his family.

The Reaper 10-23-2014 20:20

Toast going up now.

Sua Sponte, Sergeant Major.

RIP.

TR

PRB 10-23-2014 20:42

RIP CSM, great man.

sg1987 10-24-2014 06:48

R.I.P. CSM. "Nous Resterons Là"

tom kelly 10-24-2014 15:15

REST IN PEACE:

Rest In Peace CSM. YOU LEFT US TO SOON, Prayers out to family & friends. tom kelly

jbour13 10-25-2014 18:07

Knew of him and his reputation when I was in 25th ID(L). There were men there that were distinctly scared of him, but deeply respected him.

RIP CSM

TrapLine 10-29-2014 06:38

Rest in peace, Command Sgt. Maj. Gallagher. Thank you for your service and may God bless your family.

glebo 10-29-2014 07:08

RIP CSM, thank you for your service. Prayers and condolences out to his family and friends...