Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   7th Special Forces Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   SATMO in Colombia (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8660)

Basenshukai 10-17-2005 22:33

SATMO in Colombia

Question:

I heard that SATMO is no longer accepting 18As into their program for either the one year unaccompanied, or two year accompanied tour down in Colombia. Is this true? I was hoping to go there after my detachment commander time IOT maintain ties with the SOUTHCOM AOR for a while prior to returning to group (if it works out that way as there are far less command slots for majors - of course).

Thanks to anyone that can answer this.

BAS Sends

FILO 10-18-2005 06:49

In Colombia most unaccompanied tours very soon turn into accompanied tours;)

Psywar1-0 11-18-2005 21:43

I could run up the hill to Omega Force and ask, but Id bet that the folks there at Bragg have better info.

Basenshukai 12-04-2005 13:13

SATMO Answer

PSYWAR-01, how are you brother!!! Still working in the last place we saw eachother? Send me a PM, or write to my AKO (which I can give you on a PM once you write).

Anyway, I looked into the issue of SATMO using a contact "The Reaper" made me aware off.

Here's the deal. If you are an SF officer (MAJ or below), and your chain of command is willing to release you, you can get assigned to SATMO. SATMO is essentially part of TRADOC but managed by SWC due to a Memorandum Of Understanding between the two. So, you have the choice of wearing the SWC patch, or the TRADOC patch (according to what I was told at the SATMO office).

Anyway, there are JPATs and PATT assignments in the usual South American spots. These assignments are between 12 and 15 months in length. There may be longer ones, but I don't know how long they are. Also, SATMO has assignments in other parts of the world as well.

Once you sign into SATMO, you can be on a plane to your assignment within a week of in-processing. You might end up working in an embassy, or in an out station. I don't want to get into other stuff because of OPSEC. But, if anyone else looks up "SATMO" in a search in here, they'll bump into this. BTW, the SATMO office IS in Fort Bragg, NC. I was ignorant enough not to know this two weeks ago. But, then again, I've been busy commanding an ODA. That's all I got.

PS - Began to write another installment for my SF "The Experience" series. OPTEMPO has killed my writer's time for the last year. I should have another installment prior to my next deployment (very soon). Take care, warriors.

EOM
BAS SENDS

NousDefionsDoc 12-04-2005 17:23

Now see what happens? I keep telling people. You let them come down here for a month or two with their little A-Teams and next thing you know they're trying to move in, driving prices up, marrying the local women and teachin' them English...just ruining everything for everybody. :p

frostfire 12-05-2005 15:50

slight hijack

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basenshukai
PS - Began to write another installment for my SF "The Experience" series.

Basenshukai Sir,
you've put a lot of gems on this site.
Say, is there any chance a compilation of them stories aka. a book coming in this lifetime? Perhaps something like "danger close"

end hijack

Basenshukai 12-05-2005 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostfire
slight hijack

Basenshukai Sir,
you've put a lot of gems on this site.
Say, is there any chance a compilation of them stories aka. a book coming in this lifetime? Perhaps something like "danger close"

end hijack

Actually, a book is what I plan to produce by the time I take an SF company command. I was planning to end the book in South America, but, now my job takes me to CENTCOMs AOR so I plan to end the book there. My intent is to include South America as well. My original idea was to place bits and pieces of my work here to see where the members (former and current) of the 1st Special Forces Regiment wanted the book to go. I think I have received pretty good guidance thus far. If I am so priviledged to push forth the book, I plan to contribute a portion of the proceeds to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation and that way, keep the benefit of those experiences where they belong. After the initial assignment in a group, a captain has some bit of "empty space" between that assignment and his next as he makes major. I plan to complete my work during that time, God willing.

Basenshukai 12-05-2005 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Now see what happens? I keep telling people. You let them come down here for a month or two with their little A-Teams and next thing you know they're trying to move in, driving prices up, marrying the local women and teachin' them English...just ruining everything for everybody. :p

Are you tapping into my phone? :D

aricbcool 12-05-2005 21:57

Quote:

If I am so priviledged to push forth the book, I plan to contribute a portion of the proceeds to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation and that way, keep the benefit of those experiences where they belong.

Standing by for the subsequent Charity Auction. (jatx you in on this?) :D

In all seriousness Sir, I have greatly enjoyed your posts on this site. I look forward to a book, should you decide to pursue those ends.

Regards,
Aric

Psywar1-0 12-12-2005 07:56

Quote:

PSYWAR-01, how are you brother!!! Still working in the last place we saw eachother? Send me a PM, or write to my AKO (which I can give you on a PM once you write).

I was when I posted that. Im all over the place, never 2 rotations in the same lugar.

PM Inbound

Z731 12-26-2006 19:40

IF YOU WANT A TOUR

If you want one of the SATMO tours into Colombia please drop me a message and I will give you all the info you need with POCs.

Z

Basenshukai 12-27-2006 18:26

PM Inbound.

longrange1947 12-27-2006 21:46

Quote:

Hmmmmm, sounds like personal experience speaking here. What was that little "A-Team" you showed up with back when? :munchin

NousDefionsDoc 12-27-2006 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by longrange1947
Hmmmmm, sounds like personal experience speaking here. What was that little "A-Team" you showed up with back when? :munchin

I have no knowledge of alleged events...

The Reaper 12-27-2006 22:09

Quote:

I have no knowledge of alleged events...

You always were a fast learner.;)

TR