Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Base Camp (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MACV-SOG Roll Call (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792)

Ambush Master 08-07-2008 16:49

There is a Clark J. Farley listed in "Who's Who From MACV-SOG.

glebo 08-11-2008 13:41

thanks, he's james edward farley. he may have had a nick name...probably more colorful I would imagine

alright4u 10-04-2008 12:58

RE: SOG Service

The man who stated we had no one zero school in 68 is also accurate for Omega and even early CCS until about March or April of 69. Frankly, when I came back to CCS from the northern launch site at Duc Co about 10-12 Apr 69 for the 3 shop, no one told me we had a recon school that consisted of running local OPS. I would think the asst S-3 should know that, especially when the two asst S-3's were told to send HF's in to exploit targets or bail out a team in trouble. Perhaps, they thought I knew?

Anyway, I was on the staff for the first 56 days, then had 2nd company Omega for about six months, then went to the northern launch site to take Frank Lambert's job at his request, plus a few others, and; I spent all of a whopping14 days in the 3 shop before being medivaced. I am proud that we never lost a recon man when I was with the FAC and during my time up north from Duc Lap to Duc Co. It was not my job to question a 10 on the ground, as one cannot judge a firefight from an O-2. The man on the ground is always the one, who knows his situation best. Having two teams in contact at once stretched the air assets and the 20th SOS got them out after we figured out which team to support/ pull first and how to get gunships to get to the other team ASAP. I saw pilots fly a team back to Duc Co with a bullet through their shoulder, plus a number of shot up birds.

I look back at the recon men we had in mid 68 to early 69, and; most 10's were senior NCO's with at least two tours. We had our own legends in Omega like FOB2 and CCN had.

After the 24 April 69 HF OP into COSVN and even before, we knew the OPS down south west of the fishook were tough.

Basically, I like to keep in touch with the men from Omega/CCS, plus some of the other C&C men I know from the Kontum and DaNang HQ's and those I served with later. I have met a number of CCN recon men whom I consider friends. We put a few CCN teams in from our northern and southern launch sites in 68- early 69.

incommin 10-05-2008 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by alright4u (Post 228002)
The man who stated we had no one zero school in 68 is also accurate for Omega and even early CCS until about March or April of 69.

I do not understand this statement. I went through the One-Zero course, called the Recon Team Leader Course, in Nov 68 after being assigned to CCS. And there were individuals on teams that had been through the course before me because I received a run down on the course and told what to expect from members on other teams.

alright4u 10-06-2008 18:42

[QUOTE=incommin;228149]
Quote:

Originally Posted by alright4u (Post 228002)
The man who stated we had no one zero school in 68 is also accurate for Omega and even early CCS until about March or April of 69.

I do not understand this statement. I went through the One-Zero course, called the Recon Team Leader Course, in Nov 68 after being assigned to CCS. And there were individuals on teams that had been through the course before me because I received a run down on the course and told what to expect from members on other teams.

Fact: We had no CCS in Nov 68.

Fact: MSG Bull D,. was recon platoon leader until -8/16/68. He went to Nhon Co a Team Daddy.

Fact: 1LT Curtis, a prior SFC Ranger School Mountain instructor took over recon on 08/16/68. Curtis made Recon train on rigs and ladders south of camp.

Fact: Next came another friend, Harrison.. He was on the ground with Hughes and Franks in T-51 when Flemming was put in for CMH 26 Nov 68 or so.

Fact: Recon had no one zero school unless one calls rope ladder and rig training a school or went to MACV Recondo or went out with a senior NCO 10 in 68.

Fact: Ortman comes to CCS from Sigma. Gets hit with bullet in WP grenade and gets burned badly.

Fact: I never saw recon run a single local OP in mid 68 to late 68 from June 68 to 12/31.68..

Perhaps, I was asleep.

incommin 10-06-2008 20:32

alright4u, all I know is I arrived at Ban Me Thuot in Sept 1968. My orders read SOA (CCS). The Omega sign was down and leaning against a wall near the supply shed. I attended a course called the Recon Team Leaders Course at the RECONDO school. And by 11 November I was running with SFC Ellis as my One Zero on RT Nail. I do not remember a LT Curtis. I remember Harrison and a bull dog of a Major (who's name escapes me for the moment). I do not remember any drills or training around the camp except for the immediate action drills individual teams practiced.

I remember Hughes and Franks and several others who ran recon. I too do not remember any recon team running a local recon or patrol. The LLDB ran a few. And some of the security people ran a few. I only remember the recon teams working across or near border operations.

I did not mean to jerk your chain or start a food fight. If you say I was assigned to Omega when I arrived in Sept 69, I'll say, whatever......

alright4u 10-07-2008 14:33

TY

Yes, We had the MACV Recondo School then. That was the only school for recon until about early 69 when the new S-3 came in. The NCO's I stay in touch with and see at SOAR tell me that after I went to the launch site, the new S-3 and others started and in country recon program at CCS.

I am not up on all the details of it, as I was only in the CCS compound one night in 69 when Major Anonsen, senior FAC flew me back. Then , in April of 69, about the 10th or 12th, I was called back to BMTE as a CPT with a First Cav patch needed command time.

As to the Major you decribed- the NCO's call him - "The Dancing Bear." I stay away from war stories and like the funny stuff. I worked for that Major for about two weeks. A 4th ID full Bull BDE CO and his S-2 Major arrived at Duc Co. The Major was doing one handed pushups. The Col looks at him like he is crazy. Next the Col ask the launch site NCOIC who runs this place. The senior NCO from OKI on TDY pointed away from the "Dancing Bear."

Richard 10-07-2008 20:50

All,

I checked my resources on this one (Saal, Hardy, Stanton, Plaster, Sutherland) and came up with the following:

Omega and Sigma were formed at the same time 8/66

Omega was at FOB2 Camp Reno, Kontum, until it moved to FOB5 Ban Me Thuot in 1967; Omega ran its first mission 9/66; Omega brought its RT names from FOB2 to FOB5 and they remained during CCS

Sigma was at FOB 6 Ho Ngoc Tau until it moved to Ban Me Thout 11/68; Sigma RTs were numbered like Delta until the move to Ban Me Thuot

Omega and Sigma moved from E Co, 5th SFG to MACVSOG C&C 11/67 with assignment then through Special Operations Augmentation, 5th SFG

Omega and Sigma became CCS 11/68

Long Thanh was opened 7/61 and Kham Duc 9/63

Long Thanh was used as training center and then as SOG B-53 training center beginning 6/65 for Shining Brass Ops

Kham Duc was used to train Road Watch teams, reaction force, MLS for Shining Brass Ops (began 10/65 until 1967); it developed a RT training center beginning 65 and was known variously as 1-0 school, C&C school, SOG Recon school, jungle school until it closed 67 and all SOG RT training was then with B-53

There was a lot of confusion for several years as the various projects were formed, moved, and then merged as lines of C&C were developed

Richard :munchin

RT AXE 10 10-08-2008 10:02

SIGMA RT's were numbered

Arrived in B-56 (SIGMA), August 66 and assigned to team #1 as Team Leader (One Zero). Numbers were used till sometime in late 67 to early 68. We (RT's) then became tools. Axe, Hammer, Saw, etc.
One Zero school was in progress during the early 68 time frame. I departed RVN in May 68.

AXE
Early in the morning before the sun would rise, walked 4 indige and 2 round eyes. You could'nt hear a sound not even a squeak. They knew their (9dits +1 dah) was weak. RECON

MFFI115 10-07-2011 07:02

Thread resurrection

I attended SOAR XXXV last month in Vegas. Next year it wil be in October. Let's get some old guys out there and you younger guys, too!! Theres' been a regime change in SOA, and it's for the better. SOAR's a great time. Come on out.

BTW, Plaster calls me a Chase Medic in his last book in the episode about the Bright Light mission for Fat Albert. For the record, I wasn't, or ever have been a medic. I was at the launch site with my team, RT Alabama, waiting to launch and went with the BL as an extra gun.

Hammer11 10-08-2011 19:59

Ambush Master 10-08-2011 21:15

Sorry I couldn't make it this year. Hope to be there for the next one.

Take care.
Martin
SOA #150-GL

cbtengr 10-11-2011 19:03

I could not put John Plaster's book Secret Commandos down once I started reading it. I have nothing but the utmost of respect for those of you who were a part of SOG. I have nothing but contempt for a government that allowed the NVA the troop and equipment pipelines thru Cambodia and Laos into South Vietnam, how many of our guys were lost because of our lack of an active all out campaign in those countries? The losses alone to the members of SOG were staggering and the blood of those men will forever be on the hands of the politicians who were calling the shots. To all of you who have posted to this thread Thank You!! And God Bless You!! The following is a link that I have visited many times it has in many cases put a face to the name of of one of our fallen warriors and at the very least told their story.

www.virtualwall.org/u-army/macv-sog.htm

LRB

alright4u 10-11-2011 20:19

Re: Sec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer11 (Post 417865)
Anyone want a SOA application, let me know. Being Secretary, I can get you one. Any members here who were on orders assigning them to SOC for any theater of GWOT (direct combat role) are also qualified for membership.

We need new blood too.

You are doing a fine job.

Ambush Master 10-11-2011 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 418482)
I could not put John Plaster's book Secret Commandos down once I started reading it. I have nothing but the utmost of respect for those of you who were a part of SOG. I have nothing but contempt for a government that allowed the NVA the troop and equipment pipelines thru Cambodia and Laos into South Vietnam, how many of our guys were lost because of our lack of an active all out campaign in those countries? The losses alone to the members of SOG were staggering and the blood of those men will forever be on the hands of the politicians who were calling the shots. To all of you who have posted to this thread Thank You!! And God Bless You!! The following is a link that I have visited many times it has in many cases put a face to the name of of one of our fallen warriors and at the very least told their story.

www.virtualwall.org/u-army/macv-sog.htm

LRB

Here's a BUMP to an old link in here, that will open a few eyes for MANY, that think that they understand.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=15653

Later!!
Martin