Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Aid Bag (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   SWAT-Tourniquet (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18949)

Guy 07-18-2008 03:02

SWAT-Tourniquet

I have not had a chance to use/test this however, I thought some may not be aware of this product.

Quote:

The SWAT-Tourniquet is a unique and multipurpose dressing. Its name provides a description for usage Stretch, Wrap, and Tuck, but also the communities for whom it was developed - military and civilian Special Weapons and Tactics teams. These teams operate in an environment that has a high incidence of penetrating trauma, and most (two-thirds) of preventable deaths in the operational environment are from extremity bleeding.

The SWAT-Tourniquet allows a more rapid means to control extremity bleeding and allows application higher into the groin and axilla than other tourniquets. Its ease of application is one of its greatest benefits; individuals can effectively apply it in seconds with little to no prior training. At a third of the cost and weight of other combat used tourniquets, this tourniquet should find its way forward with every tactical operator.
www.swattourniquet.com

swatsurgeon 07-31-2008 12:37

I just requested some to T&E...I test all TQ's in our vascular lab with duplex and color flow doppler as well as bring them to our Tac-Med classes and let the > 100 students play with them and the 7 others we have received.
I will post some info if I receive them from the company.

ss

Guy 07-31-2008 22:28

Roger!

If you are ever looking to do a stint/training in an Iraqi hospital, give me a holler. Using "field expedient" devices shouldn't be a problem either...it ain't like they have; the latest and/or greatest equipment where I'm at.:D

Stay safe.

swatsurgeon 08-02-2008 18:12

I've been emailing the owner/developer of this TQ.....good concept: multi-use, compact, extremely light weight. He is sending me a few to T&E.....stay tuned.

ss

adal 08-02-2008 19:18

:munchin

swatsurgeon 08-20-2008 11:39

finally put them to the test. The company was kind enough to send me samples to play with and here is the review:

DISCLAIMER:I am solely responsible for this review, the opinions are my own based on my use of the product, I don't represent any tactical equipment company, etc.

On to the review......
The SWAT-T tactical tourniquet is an 'esmark' like compliant (elastic) wrap that stretches with perfect memory to return to it's baseline length.

I first used it on my right upper arm over bare skin to see if I could do it one handed and gain the 'tightness' needed for it to act as a tourniquet, not just a bandage holder. It was easy to apply although the first and second revolution around my arm was not as tight as you want, it quickly grabbed itself with friction and I tightened it and 'tucked' the end under a layer to completely shut off flow to my radial and ulnar arteries. This was checked with a color flow doppler/duplex ultrasound machine in our vascular lab in our hospital. As I released it, flow was restored after 2-3 revolutions back around my arm, releasing the tourniquet effect. There was no pinching of my skin or discomfort at all. NOTE: it took me about 20 seconds to stretch/wrap/tuck it into place to occlude the vessel. May speed up with experience.

Next: did upper and lower leg positions....same thing except using 2 hands, I could occlude flow by color doppler in 8-9 seconds.....

CONCLUSIONS: it performs as advertised with no discomfort unlike what most other tourniquets cause when tightened. It weighs almost about the same as a CAT, takes up about the same space. I am quicker 1 handed with a MAT as well as 2 handed vs this one but the price of $8.50 beats everything out there. I tried my best to break it while stretching it around my leg....no way, not unless there is something like glass/shapnel around to snag it.

It truly is multipurpose: pressure dressing/tourniquet, anywhere an elastic bandage can be utilized. I give it 4.99 stars out of 5.0.....nothing is ever perfect!!
It has my endorsement for what ever that's worth. Next stop is our Tac-Med class in Oct. to be tortured by EMS, docs, PA's, LEO's....that will but it through it's paces.

ss

adal 08-20-2008 13:48

SS,
Thanks for the update. I'll pass it on to our tac guys up here to see if they'd like to try it. Looking forward to more tests/reviews.
adal

Air.177 08-20-2008 19:39

SS: So you like this one better than the CAT?

Good times,
Blake

swatsurgeon 08-21-2008 06:59

Blake,
Far superior to the CAT. The CAT is not 'intuitive' it is prone to operator failure, doesn't hold well with sand in the velcro, I have torn off a few tension bars (windlass). It is light weight but it is not multipurpose.

ss

52bravo 08-23-2008 07:57

IDF have use this sort of TQ for years - it works well i have use some times.

here we use the esmarch bandage - it is the same as the swat tq

the 4y IDF TQ from j.traume tells more.

crash 09-01-2008 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 52bravo (Post 222049)
IDF have use this sort of TQ for years - it works well i have use some times.

here we use the esmarch bandage - it is the same as the swat tq

the 4y IDF TQ from j.traume tells more.

Im supprised I haven't seen these on here before, I was talking to an Isreali medic awhile back and he told me about using these; but they applied it diffrently. I like their method better than the tuck.

This is how he said they used them:
they place about 3 inches of the band parralel to the arm, then fold the band over itself so its perpandicular to the arm, then wrap it around tightly until bleeding has stopped then tie the end to the first 3 inches.

Very effective, and cheap......or free, I don't know if they still do but over seas the MWR and stuff used to hand out those elastic exercise bands, pretty much the same thing and its free.

LeakyBandage 10-01-2008 16:14

I attended a class last week where the retired PJ who is a part of the SWAT-T development team was an instructor. He gave me and my guys a SWAT-T to check out. I like the fact that it is effective as a supportive wrap and an improvised pressure dressing in addition to being a good tourniquet. It is a little heavier than a CAT but it packs in a bit smaller space.

Lawless 10-25-2008 18:26

Is it as effective as a ratchet strap on leg wounds. I admit the CAT is the only one I tried on a leg wound and it slowed but didnt stop the bleeding. Ratchet straps normally used for tie-downs were the only thing to stop it completely.

Cass100199 11-22-2008 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawless (Post 231161)
Is it as effective as a ratchet strap on leg wounds. I admit the CAT is the only one I tried on a leg wound and it slowed but didnt stop the bleeding. Ratchet straps normally used for tie-downs were the only thing to stop it completely.

The actual ratchet tourniquet is the most effective tourniquet I've seen for lower extremity bleeding.

Dozer523 11-22-2008 20:54

A picture might help. "google-fu" The first link has a good picture and narative. It also has a really cool picture. Click the picture and you get a link to a bunch of "History of the National Gaurd" picture/narratives that is really good. The second site has links to instructional video. Oh it's Vet owned -- former PJ. What's the NSN? The boys are off to see Uncle Stan in a month.

http://swattourniquet.com/

http://swattourniquet.com/videos.html