Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   1st Special Forces Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1st Group AOR suggested reading (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34424)

Dive08 07-20-2011 20:20

1st Group AOR suggested reading

All,

There are plenty of 'suggested reading lists' for the Afghan and Iraq theaters; Bear Came over the Mountain etc. and I have had classes/briefs on both places etc.

Can those with experience suggest books/reading lists that will provide some insight or historical context on conflicts in the 1st Group AO?

Im heading to 1/1 and before I get there any 'Bear Came Over' type books would be interesting/beneficial to read while I have some time here at Benning.

Thanks

skiredwings 07-24-2011 05:34

Asia AOR

I am a retired 1st SFG(A) and spent about 15 years at 1/1. It is a little different but I would suggest reading about each different countries cultures as they are all different in there own way and would help you understand the AOR better. Others would be the history of the PI; used to be owned by the U.S. and the conflict between the Phils and Japanese. The hatred between the Japanese and Koreans is very deep. Thailand and how the southern Thai has become a vicioous conflict that is not reported. The Thai's are having a difficult time controlling it and there is some serious fighting (Kiliing of women, kids, teachers, monks). I would also read up on the Budhist religions which is pretty common in Asia. Hope that helps.

MSG(R) Robert Kenjorski

Ski

spottedmedic111 07-24-2011 06:16

Rob, your name seems familiar to me. Were you out there between 94-98? Anyway, good reading suggestions. I have my own opinion on the current Philippine focus, it's certainly not what it used to be. Personally, I love the 1st GRP AOR. It's huge, diverse, and we're welcome in more places than not.

skiredwings 07-25-2011 09:02

spottedmedic111

Yea I was out in Oki then on ODA-123. Bernie O'Rourke was my team sergeant.

Rob

Divemaster 10-27-2011 17:28

Seeds of Terror: An Eyewitness Account of Al-Qaeda's Newest Center of Operations in Southeast Asia by former CNN reporter Maria Ressa is a must read in my opinion. It is several years old now but deserves a spot in any 1SFG (A)/PACOM oriented library.

Google this book and click on the Amazon link and you will find a wealth of related books. I haven't read any of them...yet.

Baht Dog 10-27-2011 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiredwings (Post 405573)
Yea I was out in Oki then on ODA-123. Bernie O'Rourke was my team sergeant.

Rob

Yup, mine too - on ODA-132. Damn lucky to have a Team Daddy like him. Howdy 'mate :D

Baht Dog 10-27-2011 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiredwings (Post 405393)
Thailand and how the southern Thai has become a vicioous conflict that is not reported. The Thai's are having a difficult time controlling it and there is some serious fighting (Kiliing of women, kids, teachers, monks).

MSG(R) Robert Kenjorski

Ski

When I was in 3rd BN my team spent a good bit of time in Songkhla, waaay south in Thailand. Not far from Thai-Malay border. Nice beaches. There is a mix of problems in the south as Rob states, not the least of which is Muslim and Chinese Communist guerrillas through the 80s and other issues to include the Pattani Separatism outbreak. Many Chinese settled there. Historically the city was the scene of heavy fighting when the Japanese invaded.

MtnGoat 10-30-2011 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dive08 (Post 404856)
All,

There are plenty of 'suggested reading lists' for the Afghan and Iraq theaters; Bear Came over the Mountain etc. and I have had classes/briefs on both places etc.

Can those with experience suggest books/reading lists that will provide some insight or historical context on conflicts in the 1st Group AO?

Im heading to 1/1 and before I get there any 'Bear Came Over' type books would be interesting/beneficial to read while I have some time here at Benning.

Thanks

You still needing a reading list??

Dive08 05-01-2013 13:54

reading list

My wife found this for me the other day, for those who are interested ...

http://www.socpac.socom.mil/Lists/Re.../AllItems.aspx