Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Attention to Orders (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Medal Goes To Soldier Who Jumped On Grenade (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12752)

Warrior-Mentor 12-14-2006 18:46

Medal Goes To Soldier Who Jumped On Grenade

USA Today
December 13, 2006
Pg. 10
Medal Goes To Soldier Who Jumped On Grenade
By Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Pfc. Ross McGinnis was perched in the gunner's hatch of a
Humvee when a grenade sailed past him and into the truck, where four
other soldiers sat during a Dec. 4 mission in Baghdad.

McGinnis shouted a warning to the other soldiers before hurling himself
onto the grenade, lodged near the vehicle's radio, shortly before it
blew up and killed him.

For saving the lives of the other soldiers and sacrificing his own,
McGinnis, 19, of Knox, Pa., has been posthumously awarded the Silver
Star, according to a U.S. military statement released in Iraq.

The medal is given to U.S. Army servicemembers who have been cited for
gallantry in action.

McGinnis was the youngest soldier in his company. His platoon sergeant,
Sgt. 1st Class Cedric Thomas, was quoted as saying that McGinnis yelled,
"Grenade ... it's in the truck!" before the explosion.

McGinnis chose to throw himself on the explosive even though he had
enough time to jump out of the truck, Thomas said. "I looked out of the
corner of my eye as I was crouching down and I saw him pin it down," he
said.

The four other soldiers riding in the vehicle were wounded, but three
have recovered and returned to duty. The fourth is being treated in
Germany.

skeeter8654 12-14-2006 19:26

This just shows how absolutely arbitrary the awards process is. A silver star for MOH actions. RIP warrior, we will not forget.

CoLawman 12-14-2006 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter8654
This just shows how absolutely arbitrary the awards process is. A silver star for MOH actions. RIP warrior, we will not forget.

I do not know all the legalize , but am certain that his receiving the Silver Star does not hamper his consideration for the MOH. I believe it is fitting that the Silver Star is immediately awarded. The MOH, as you are aware, is a much longer process that can take years.

His actions are similar to the most recent recipient of the MOH by the way.

skeeter8654 12-15-2006 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoLawman
I do not know all the legalize , but am certain that his receiving the Silver Star does not hamper his consideration for the MOH. I believe it is fitting that the Silver Star is immediately awarded. The MOH, as you are aware, is a much longer process that can take years.

That's not the way the awards process works. Lesser awards are not given as a timely band-aid while a higher award is being processed. You are somewhat right in that it is possible to upgrade his award, but his COC put him up for an award and it was either awarded, downgraded, or upgraded. This is purely a supposition on my part but I find it hard to believe that his COC did not recommend him for the Medal of Honor, after alerting the occupants of his vehicle and then knowingly sheilding them from the grenade with his body, subsequently saving 4 Soldiers lives. If that is indeed the case, then somewhere at some level the award had to be downgraded to a Silver Star. That's a lot of assumptions on my part, but that's not right, IMNSHO.

37F5V 12-15-2006 06:25

Well regardless, that young PFC had more honor than any medal you could pin on his chest. RIP young Soldier.

x SF med 12-15-2006 07:28

RIP PFC, you are a hero.

Jaeger1980 12-15-2006 08:37

R.I.P. PFC Ross McGinnis.

My deepest sympathy to his family.

Respectfully,
Jäger

stakk4 12-15-2006 09:02

I'm sure an MOH was not his motivation. You know he loved his brothers.

RIP, Warrior.

The Reaper 12-15-2006 09:21

RIP, PFC McGinnis.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

TR

vsvo 12-15-2006 10:13

Rest in peace, PFC McGinnis.

Goggles Pizano 12-15-2006 10:48

Rest in peace PFC McGinnis, your valour is not unnoticed by a grateful nation.

soldierdoc_2005 12-15-2006 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoLawman

He and two ther Soldiers are also up for the MOH. All three did the same thing...shield their buddies from a grenade.

I just read it on military.com the other day.

R.I.P.

Airbornelawyer 12-19-2006 19:52

"Soldier who died smothering enemy grenade to be recommended for Medal of Honor"

http://www.estripes.com/articleprint...5&archive=true

Razor 12-19-2006 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter8654
That's not the way the awards process works. Lesser awards are not given as a timely band-aid while a higher award is being processed.

Skeeter, I'm not sure where you obtained this information, but it seems from the information Airborne Lawyer posted in this thread that your information isn't correct:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...light=mcginnis

I vaguely recall it happening at least a few times during the Vietnam War as well, but I may be incorrect.

The Reaper 12-19-2006 22:56

Army Regulation 600-8-22

Sec. 578.8 General rules.

(c) Interim awards and awards of a lesser decoration.

(1) To ensure that a deserving act, achievement, or service receives recognition, the appropriate authority may promptly award a suitable lesser military decoration pending final action on a recommendation for a higher award, except for retiring U.S. Army general officers. When a higher award is approved, the approving authority will revoke the interim award in the same orders published for the higher award. The decoration will be returned by the recipient, unless the higher award is approved posthumously, in which case the next of kin will be permitted to retain both awards.

(2) The authority taking final action may award the decoration recommended, award a lesser decoration (or consider the interim award as adequate recognition), or in the absence of an interim award, disapprove award of any decoration.