Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fin (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Why I live in the boonies (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29429)

craigepo 06-25-2010 08:46

Why I live in the boonies

1 Attachment(s)
I finished the last case on my docket at 2:00 yesterday. Was on the river at 4:00. Pulled the canoes up to the truck at dark. Caught a bunch of small smallmouth(I think the big fish were on the nests).

SF-TX 06-25-2010 08:47

The photo is apparently not you. Too much hair. :p

ZonieDiver 06-25-2010 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigepo (Post 336556)
I finished the last case on my docket at 2:00 yesterday. Was on the river at 4:00. Pulled the canoes up to the truck at dark. Caught a bunch of small smallmouth(I think the big fish were on the nests).

Is that the Black River, your honor? I spent some time on the Black during summers of my youth while at Wig-O-Ca, Wiggins Ozark Camp!

craigepo 06-25-2010 09:17

That is actually Bryant Creek. It is not much of a river, especially when compared to some of the rivers we have in the ozarks. But, it is close and unpopulated. I can leave the office, go load canoes and gear, and be floating on the river in 1.5 hours. Good smallmouth and rock bass(goggle-eye) fishing.

And no, that was not me in the picture. My chrome dome gets covered with a boonie cap these days.

nmap 06-25-2010 15:03

It's certainly a beautiful area, no question about that. However, since you mention living there, I cannot help wondering about the availability of goods and services, and also the risk of unwelcome folks wandering up on one's home.

Yes, I realize that most here don't need to worry about unwelcome folks. ;)

Buffalobob 06-25-2010 16:36

Nice time of the year for paddling. I just got back today myself.

dadof18x'er 06-25-2010 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigepo (Post 336565)
That is actually Bryant Creek. It is not much of a river, especially when compared to some of the rivers we have in the ozarks. But, it is close and unpopulated. I can leave the office, go load canoes and gear, and be floating on the river in 1.5 hours. Good smallmouth and rock bass(goggle-eye) fishing.

And no, that was not me in the picture. My chrome dome gets covered with a boonie cap these days.

have you ever tried using a jitterbug for smallmouths at night? You have to do it
when the moon is down without flashlights. Some of the best action I've had on Ozark streams. Don't try it with light tackle though:eek:

Nightfall 07-12-2010 11:47

I love that area. The wife and I just took our daughter down a stretch of the Eleven Point. Was the first time for my 3 year old. She did really well, and the campground was super nice. Hadn't done that stretch before Cane Bluff to Greer. Used to always go the stretch that ended at Woody's, but Woody passed recently and they closed the campgrounds. Will have to check out that creek of yours, looks pretty nice from the shot. But then again, just about everything up there is nice. Thanks for sharing.

mark46th 07-12-2010 22:39

Jitterbugs are a hoot on smallmouth. The only smallmouth I have found in SoCal are in Lake Arrowhead. Fortunately, my hunt/fish buddy lives there. We walk around the lake, fishing the docks. Too much fun!!!

mojaveman 07-12-2010 22:44

That looks like some nice territory. How about a few more pictures? Several of my friends after they retired sold out here and moved to Missouri.

Roguish Lawyer 07-12-2010 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 339063)
Jitterbugs are a hoot on smallmouth. The only smallmouth I have found in SoCal are in Lake Arrowhead. Fortunately, my hunt/fish buddy lives there. We walk around the lake, fishing the docks. Too much fun!!!

My brother-in-law just got a place there, so we're hoping to do some fishing with them soon. Beer's on me if we're there at the same time!

Roguish Lawyer 07-12-2010 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigepo (Post 336556)

I'm jealous!

mark46th 07-13-2010 08:43

RL- Work around the docks with surface lures or small crank baits(3-4 ft) for small mouth. There are also largemouth bass, trout, crappie and catfish. Kokanee salmon are also in the lake but I have never fished for them. There are a lot of carp, also, that they are trying to remove.

Sorry to thread jack. I'll go home now...

craigepo 07-13-2010 14:26

ALLCON:

My mother owns two (2) LIQUOR stores, each within 45 minutes of a canoe-able river(s)(the one in the photo is even closer), in the county where I am the only judge. Good fishing on the rivers. Each store has a brand-new beer cave. If you come around, give me a shout. Beer's on me(I get a really good deal).

Will have more photos within the next 7-10 days.

RE: Smallmouth---guys night-fish for smallmouth here a lot. Topwater action with jitterbugs or buzzbaits can be crazy fun.

craigepo 07-13-2010 15:03

Until I get back on the water, here's a link to a photo of one of the rivers in this county. Takes me about 45 minutes to be on this river. Good trout and smallmouth fishing on this river(north fork of the white river).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanrivers/446167147/