Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Graduation Ceremony Question (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34557)

Intel Cop 08-01-2011 15:48

Graduation Ceremony Question

My cousin comes out of Robin Sage very soon, and will be graduating a few days after that. The problem is, I am trying to surprise him by driving down to Bragg, and do not want to ask him this question directly.

Being that the SFQC is not an entry level graduation, and likely the greatest achievement of many of these men's lives, I am sure lots of family members actually attend, unlike other Army ceremonies. I am worried that planning a 9 hour drive and hotel reservation might backfire and I won't be able to get in.

Does this graduation ceremony require tickets? Anything else I can figure out on the way or get info from his father once he comes out of the field. Unfortunately though, I cannot wait until that point to put in for my time off from work.

Thank you in advance for your help.

PRB 08-01-2011 16:11

The grad ceremony has changed since I left SWC but any event open to the public, grad ceremony etc, is free..no tickets.
You just need to know where/when...also give yourself time to clear the gate, you may need to pull over and register to be on Post so add another 20/30 minutes to what you plan.

x SF med 08-01-2011 16:33

Show up a day or two beforehand and make sure to attend the Regimental First Formation/Donning the Beret Ceremony... Graduation is nice, but this is when the men are welcomed into the SF Brotherhood and a DMOR is the one doing the welcoming.

The Reaper 08-01-2011 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRB (Post 406700)
The grad ceremony has changed since I left SWC but any event open to the public, grad ceremony etc, is free..no tickets.
You just need to know where/when...also give yourself time to clear the gate, you may need to pull over and register to be on Post so add another 20/30 minutes to what you plan.

Last time I heard, it wasn't held on post anyway, it was down at the Crown Center, near the airport.

TR

PRB 08-01-2011 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 406745)
Last time I heard, it wasn't held on post anyway, it was down at the Crown Center, near the airport.

TR

Yup, you are right, I was thinking of the Rgmtl Formation/Beret donning

Buffalobob 08-02-2011 05:30

You might inquire as to what exactly transpires at graduation being as it might not live up to your expectations. In my mind, one goes not to see the ceremony as much as to be there for the guy who graduates (hope that makes sense).

Intel Cop 08-02-2011 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalobob (Post 406801)
You might inquire as to what exactly transpires at graduation being as it might not live up to your expectations. In my mind, one goes not to see the ceremony as much as to be there for the guy who graduates (hope that makes sense).

Makes total sense, and its exactly why I am going down. We are a very military family, almost every male has served (only one of those not being Army). Two WWII vets, and my cousin's father is a Vietnam Vet. If graduation was a kick in the ass as they hand him his orders, I would still be going ;)

He visited me when I was in 10th Group (2/10 Support) and told me then that he was going to be a Green Beret and move to Colorado. Now he's doing both!

Thanks for the answers. If it's off post, that's even better. I was only worried about "tickets" as in a certain allotment per graduate. His parents, wife, and sister are already going, so I was afraid of being shut out.

Thanks again!

Slantwire 08-02-2011 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intel Cop (Post 406804)
If it's off post, that's even better. I was only worried about "tickets" as in a certain allotment per graduate. His parents, wife, and sister are already going, so I was afraid of being shut out.

For graduation in October 2010, the usable seating at the Crown Center was maybe 40% full. Plenty of space.

tom kelly 08-03-2011 14:29

Special Forces Graduation:

The next Graduation for The SFQC is August 11,2011. See my PM for details on trip & lodging in Fayetteville Area...Regard's, TOM Kelly Hope It is some help?

1stindoor 08-03-2011 16:27

Fayetteville travel plans...
If you're coming for a graduation, among other things you should plan for if time allows is the Airborne and Special Ops Museum downtown, the Special Forces Museum and the 82nd's Museum on post.

Intel Cop 08-06-2011 17:56

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. Tom, thanks very much for the info about the date. I confirmed that with my uncle.

Unfortunately, I cannot attend on the 11th. Originally I was told it was on the 12th, which was perfect because coincidentally, I had chosen that day as a scheduled day off back in January.

Thanks for all you do, and I am extremely proud and happy that my cousin is joining your ranks. He's taking our family's military tradition to the next level, something I will always respect him for.

Airborne!

hadjiholdblue 11-01-2011 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRB (Post 406758)
Yup, you are right, I was thinking of the Rgmtl Formation/Beret donning

Unfortunately there is no RFF on a separate day anymore. Everything is included in the Grad ceremony at the coliseum.

You receive all paper work and your Yarborough knife before the ceremony and receive your Beret the day of grad. Once everyone has crossed the stage, the order is given to don the Green Beret.

But they added bagpipes. Yup, a guy in a kilt playing bagpipes as we marched out. It actually was impressive.