Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Soapbox (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   State, local and jurisdictional-level actions related to gun-control (Post-Newtown) (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40453)

Ret10Echo 01-03-2013 18:25

State, local and jurisdictional-level actions related to gun-control (Post-Newtown)

There are multiple threads that have already started related to reactions to the recent shootings. National-level politics tends to take the lead, but what is occurring locally can sometimes be overshadowed.

The idea of starting this thread is to provide discussion on what is occurring within our individual States and localities. Information that would be of good use to responsible gun-owners and those who are engaged with the established processes (executive, legislative, judicial or law-enforcement)

Currently residing in an occupied bastion of liberalism... I watch closely.

From the Peoples Republic of Maryland (PRM)...

Quote:

Jan 3, 2013 2:26 p.m.

Research conducted by a state-appointed task force on the relationship between mental illness and regulated firearms reveals that those on the task force believe additional research is needed.

It also reveals that those conducting the study, a team made up of lawmakers, mental health experts and law enforcement officials, believe keeping guns out of the hands of all considered "mentally ill" may be too broad.
Link HERE

MR2 01-03-2013 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brush Okie (Post 481120)
There does need to be more places to put people that are mentally ill and need supervision. Not everyone with a mental illness needs to be put away but there are several that do and the system waits until the do something and put them in prison instead.

Maybe a court ordered mental health probation where those that need it can check-in/stay at a halfway house or check-in at a community probation site where they can receive/take meds and be on their way. Those who have trouble staying on meds will get the halfway house.

Dekadenz 01-03-2013 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret10Echo (Post 481115)
There are multiple threads that have already started related to reactions to the recent shootings. National-level politics tends to take the lead, but what is occurring locally can sometimes be overshadowed.

The idea of starting this thread is to provide discussion on what is occurring within our individual States and localities. Information that would be of good use to responsible gun-owners and those who are engaged with the established processes (executive, legislative, judicial or law-enforcement)

Currently residing in an occupied bastion of liberalism... I watch closely.

From the Peoples Republic of Maryland (PRM)...

Link HERE

Ahh a fellow Marylander. My father, a NRA instructor, called up to ask about a concealed carry permit and the lady actually laughed at him. Wonderful state.
On topic, I'm not worried about this gun ban bill passing. With a Republican controlled house it just won't happen and not even Obama would dare sign an executive order for that, as much as he does love those handy maneuvers. America will remain a bastion of freedom for the next decade or so at least.

The Reaper 01-03-2013 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dekadenz (Post 481148)
Ahh a fellow Marylander. My father, a NRA instructor, called up to ask about a concealed carry permit and the lady actually laughed at him. Wonderful state.
On topic, I'm not worried about this gun ban bill passing. With a Republican controlled house it just won't happen and not even Obama would dare sign an executive order for that, as much as he does love those handy maneuvers. America will remain a bastion of freedom for the next decade or so at least.

Yeah, I thought that about the Republican House up till they sold out on the fiscal cliff bill.

I don't think so anymore. Anything is possible with these traitors.

Obama will sign anything he wants to now.

Talk about an imperial presidency.:rolleyes:

TR

Destrier 01-03-2013 23:07

The latest from New York, voting next week.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S1422-2013

And where pray tell would they put all the new felons that said, 'I will not comply'.

Looks like I may need to sell the property and head West.

Dekadenz 01-05-2013 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 481160)
Yeah, I thought that about the Republican House up till they sold out on the fiscal cliff bill.

I don't think so anymore. Anything is possible with these traitors.

TR

While you're probably correct I choose to disagree based on necessity. My sanity and temperament would not hold up well if I believed that.

The only thing Boehner has done in the past couple years I agreed with was telling Harry Reid to go fuck himself, twice. Please no mo' executive orders Massa Obama.

Badger52 01-06-2013 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 481160)

TR

With plenty of accomplices in both houses.
One of many little daggers that were waiting upon swearing in; there are more, their text just isn't back from the Gov Printing Office yet.
Quote:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `NRA Members' Gun Safety Act of 2013'.
TITLE I--REQUIRING A BACKGROUND CHECK FOR EVERY FIREARM SALE
SEC. 101. PURPOSE.
The purpose of this title is to extend the Brady Law background check procedures to all sales and transfers of firearms.
Note the way it's worded to brand the NRA as endorsing it.
The 'soft' fight is moot and would take a generation or better. The other kind is about to be 'on'.

Ghost_Team 01-06-2013 12:51

I think Obama WILL sign it, whether it is a law or an executive order. If the majority of Americans were stupid enough to put him in for another 4 years, then he is definitely dumb enough to sign it. After all, he has nothing to lose, and one thing I have learned is to never ever underestimate someone who has nothing to lose.

Ret10Echo 01-17-2013 08:32

DPRM

But I guess it's OK to go home and play "Grand Theft Auto"

Quote:

Bang! You're suspended: Maryland children punished for making gun gestures

"Kaine says most 6-year-olds’ minds aren’t developed enough to understand why their idea of fun play might make adults upset"
Story here

There were also a couple of arrests recently at a gun show for vendors selling "high capacity" magazines (more than 20 rounds) which violates MD law.

Story here

tonyz 01-17-2013 09:49

Massachusetts following NY.

http://www.mass.gov/governor/legisla...arms-laws.html

MR2 01-17-2013 09:57

1 Attachment(s)
Gun Control for Dummies

Ret10Echo 01-17-2013 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 483333)

Shocker...well...NOT

I recall having to obtain my FID to purchase ammunition while stationed there.

tonyz 01-17-2013 10:13

Looks like MA is going the route of the 7 round limit and a requirement to sell your noncompliant mags.

NH storage facilities will be packed.

"SECTION 24. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out, in line 3, the word “1994.” and inserting in place thereof the following words:- 1994; or (ii) a large capacity feeding device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; or (iii) a large capacity feeding device that such person lawfully possessed before the effective date of this act that has a capacity of, or that can readily be restored or converted to accept, more than seven but no more than ten rounds of ammunition, where such device contains more than seven rounds of ammunition.”

"SECTION 25. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date. Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapon."