Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Assessment & Selection (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Foot preparation / road marching (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19810)

Michael67 09-23-2008 08:40

Foot preparation / road marching

I am at a crossroads with my preparation, and research has not produced a solution to my dilemma. I am a man of shorter stature (68 inches, 36 inch "road march" stride), I weigh 200 pounds (I have high LBM, it's not fat), I sweat a LOT, and have flat feet. While I'd love to use these as excuses, I'm not the type. Preparation, experience, and training are sure to curb these "disadvantages".

Because of my flat feet, over-active sweat glands, and heavy weight, I experience quite a bit of friction when my feet are not properly dressed for a road march. However, I'm finding that when I use sock liners, powder, and wool socks inside out that my feet do not get any "tougher". I have to use plain Army-issue green cotton socks only before the skin will start to calice in the right places.

Hopefully I've given you enough information to answer my questions. Do I train with my feet dressed appropriately even though it does not allow the skin to toughen? Because my feet sweat so much, it is difficult to maintain the tough skin that is lost due to being in moist boots all day at work. Short of going barefoot immediately after being released for the day from my duties, is there anything else I can do to safely prepare the skin on my feet for the rigors of SFAS?

Your time in reviewing and responding to these questions is greatly appreciated and of the utmost value to me. Thank you, in advance.

Aut vincere aut mori.

The Reaper 09-23-2008 08:45

Have you read all of the posts here already on feet?

TR

Michael67 09-23-2008 08:55

As many as the search feature produced, Sir.

It may be worth annotating that I've tried tannic acid and OTC products like "tough foot". No amount of anti-perspirant keeps my feet from sweating either. Even the prescription anti-perspirant effects of Dry-Sol do not last.

The Reaper 09-23-2008 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael67 (Post 226074)
As many as the search feature produced, Sir.

It may be worth annotating that I've tried tannic acid and OTC products like "tough foot". No amount of anti-perspirant keeps my feet from sweating either. Even the prescription anti-perspirant effects of Dry-Sol do not last.

I would train in the gear and manner I am going to be tested in.

TR

SF_BHT 09-23-2008 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 226075)

TR

X2 TR is right, if you are going to be tested in one fashion you train to that standard.

Michael67 09-23-2008 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 226075)

TR

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF_BHT
X2 TR is right, if you are going to be tested in one fashion you train to that standard.

Acknowledged and understood. Thank you both for your input.

Aut vincere aut mori.

RECON 05-07-2009 06:16

YOUR FEET

[QUOTE HI MY NAME IS FRED ADAMS FROM SOUTH AFRICA. I WAS ALSO ON MANY SELECTIONS AND BY THE GRACE OF GOD I PASSED ALL MY TESTS. THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HARDEN YOUR FEET IS BY USING DUBBIN AND SPIRITS MIX THEM TOGETHER AND RUB IT IN TO YOUR FEET THEN AT NIGHT SLEEP WITH SOCK ON YOUR FEET THIS WILL START WORKING FROM DAY ONE AND YOUR FEET WILL THEN BECOME TOUGH LIKE LEATHER BUT ALSO NOT DRY IT WORKS TRUST ME. GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW IF I WAS OF ANY HELP.

=Michael67;226070]I am at a crossroads with my preparation, and research has not produced a solution to my dilemma. I am a man of shorter stature (68 inches, 36 inch "road march" stride), I weigh 200 pounds (I have high LBM, it's not fat), I sweat a LOT, and have flat feet. While I'd love to use these as excuses, I'm not the type. Preparation, experience, and training are sure to curb these "disadvantages".

Because of my flat feet, over-active sweat glands, and heavy weight, I experience quite a bit of friction when my feet are not properly dressed for a road march. However, I'm finding that when I use sock liners, powder, and wool socks inside out that my feet do not get any "tougher". I have to use plain Army-issue green cotton socks only before the skin will start to calice in the right places.

Hopefully I've given you enough information to answer my questions. Do I train with my feet dressed appropriately even though it does not allow the skin to toughen? Because my feet sweat so much, it is difficult to maintain the tough skin that is lost due to being in moist boots all day at work. Short of going barefoot immediately after being released for the day from my duties, is there anything else I can do to safely prepare the skin on my feet for the rigors of SFAS?

Your time in reviewing and responding to these questions is greatly appreciated and of the utmost value to me. Thank you, in advance.

Aut vincere aut mori.[/QUOTE]

Pete 05-07-2009 06:20

RECON

Comply with the instructions you were given when you signed up here.

This is not the place for your first post.

Abu Jack 05-07-2009 09:10

I don't know what else you have seen on this site about foot care and road marching. When I road marched, instead of foot powder, I used a light coat of vaseline on my feet, just enough so my sock liners would stick to my feet. So any sliding was between the sock liner and the inside of the outer sock. I have sweaty feet too, nothing worked. Additionally, I used mole skin on known hotspots. I was in the infantry for 7 years before selection so I had my routine down. Here's the thing, when I was in selection I got blisters underneath the caluses on the balls of both feet . The doc took a little donut shaped plug cutter and cut through the caluses to relieve the blister pain and them put some tinctur of benzoin on it.

All I'm saying is prepare the best you can, go, then don't quit when it hurts...because it will.

Good Luck

MidwayFlanker 05-08-2009 14:49

Foot Preparation / road marching

After ruck marching for a while and doing it with a group of people here at my home station, as well as looking at this site and the reading references given here, I would like to say that your boots have a big impact on you getting blisters, specifically the lacing, since if not worn right, or laced right you can not only get blisters on the bottoms of your feet but also on the tops of your feet near the tendons, which can be really nasty.

I made an attempt to look online for you as to a link that would show you ways of lacing your boots but however I could not find anything of true merit. Your best bet is to look for running books and military books relating to the topic at your local bookstore.

Best source I have seen for footcare in a book is "Get Selected!" by Major Martin. Has I believe 4 chapters covering feet (boots, footcare, etc.).

Thank you for your time.

Red Flag 1 05-08-2009 15:17

Benzoin

Michael,

There is an "aide bag " thread regarding Benzion that may be of value here,....FWIW.

This thread is a bit old.

RF 1.

11Ber 05-08-2009 18:07

For what it is worth...I trained up strictly following WarriorMentor' book. The program and guidance in there worked like a charm. I made it through the 24 day selection with not a blister one. Hot spots...yes, oh yes. But not one blister, even through the long walk. The walking barefoot advice is golden. I used it as an initial hardening tactic. I walked around my old battallions barracks parking lot for about 20 minuted with a ruck 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks. After that I began the program I mentioned earlier and the rest is history. Key note, follow his advice to the letter. WarriorMentor has this down to a science IMHO.

pjg45 05-09-2009 07:06

11ber and others,

I too did the barefoot method. I threw on a 30lb ruck and walked a quarter mile on cement barefoot. I had a giant blister on my left heel, and on all ten of my toes. They finally healed up after 2 weeks and now my feet are hard as can be. Word of advice to any of those who try it, don't be a dummy like me and keep walking until your feet are completely blistered up.

Retread 05-09-2009 21:44

The above posters offer great advice. As far as the boot lacing method is concerned: Lace your boots with the bight (the part that threads horizontally through the bottom two eyelets) on the top, so that it makes a little "bridge". That will alleviate blistering on top of your foot.

Barefoot is the fastest way to toughen up. But be smart, not hard.

At the end of the day, I can simply say this: After nearly 9 years of Marine Infantry, plus my current workup to selection, there is absolutely NO substitute for time under ruck. Period.

Good luck warrior.