Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The Movie....The Green Berets (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2975)

Sdiver 08-08-2004 23:24

The Movie....The Green Berets

Well, I'm sitting here watching the movie, The Green Berets on AMC, for the um-tenth time.

It's always good for a laugh.....not the movie itself guys, just some of the special effects. Like when Col. Kirby (The Duke) is bringing the Mike Force in and his Helo gets hit and goes down. Great Special Effects. :D Although I will say the the fire burn that the Crew Chief/Door Gunner does is really good.

Anyway...Knowing that he (The Duke) filmed the movie in and around Ft. Bragg, is the set for Camp A-107 still around there or was it taken down after filming?

Also another question I have is, at the begining of the film, when The Duke, aka Col. Kirby (That's such a COOL last name :D )brings the A-Team into VN and they're met at the "Da Nang" airfield, and Col. Morgan gets Col. Kirby over to his jeep. Col. Morgans driver is an E-2. Now knowing that when The Duke made this film, he wanted to use alot of AD SF. I always thought that you had to be at least an E-4 (promotable) even back then, to wear the Beret. Could it be, or is that just another "Hollywood" moment?

Well gotta go. The Duke and his Team are about to jump outta the Helo in broad daylight, behind enemy lines. You know the one....where he forgets to Hook up and is shuffeling to the door.....

NousDefionsDoc 08-08-2004 23:39

Thin ice Mud Puppy, thin ice.

Sdiver 08-09-2004 00:30

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Thin ice Mud Puppy, thin ice.
Didn't mean to offend. :D

If anyone knows, I knew/know it would be you.

Kyobanim 08-09-2004 03:26

I thought the base camp scenes were filmed at Benning.

brewmonkey 08-09-2004 06:10

Quote:

Originally posted by Sdiver
Didn't mean to offend. :D

If anyone knows, I knew/know it would be you.

Don't be talking smack about the Duke!!!

QRQ 30 08-09-2004 06:51

There was a Vietnamese village in the Gabriel demonstration area. I don't knoe if the Gabriel area even exists today.

I don't recall the driver but is it possible he was a Pfc E-3. Stripes were different then. In addition while I was in Germany we had a Pfc George Allen in the Company. He also had a CMB and had held every rank up to and including SFC. The Col once said that if he could keep George in the field he would be a sergeant major. Promotions weren't as restrictive and structured in the early sisties. In addition, I was a Pfc when I graduated in Training Group. We didn't get any promotions in Training Group higher than Pfc E-3. I think the medics may have received one stripe upon promotion. I didn't make SP4 until I had been in the 10th SFG for several months.

It was entirely possible and even probable that a Pfc would be the CO's driver. If he did well a stripe usually resulted.

Things were different. We had just returned from a Joint FCX with the British SAS. When we returned, LYT Faistenheimer was in our team room and congratulating me on a job well done. The team sergeant, MSG Valenzuela told the Col: "If you think he is that good, don't shake his hand, promote him." Within the week I was promoted to SSG.

QRQ 30 08-09-2004 06:59

Pfc Terry Dahling, USSF 1964.

1 Attachment(s)
Does this answer your question?

The Reaper 08-09-2004 07:38

The base camp from the Green Berets" is/was at Ft. Benning. We assaulted the camp there back in 1980. It was in a regular maneuver area and was not preserved.

You can see the Airborne School Towers in several shots from the film.

There is no "Gabe Area" for demos any more. In fact, a lot of the MATA Mile over by Gruber Road has been encroached on as well. Smoke Bomb Hill is CA/PSYOP/Engineer Land now days. SWCS is the closest thing to SF in the area.

TR

Kyobanim 08-09-2004 07:47

Quote:

Originally posted by The Reaper
The base camp from the Green Berets" is/was at Ft. Benning. We assaulted the camp there back in 1980. It was in a regular maneuver area and was not preserved.

TR

I thought so. I also assaulted that hill, several times. I remember the Drill telling us about the Green Beret's being filmed there.

Jack Moroney (RIP) 08-09-2004 09:36

Re: The Movie....The Green Berets

Quote:

Originally posted by Sdiver
Well, I'm sitting here watching the movie, The Green Berets on AMC, for the um-tenth time.

They sent this movie to us while I was the commander at Ben Het before they sent it around to the other camps. I think the thing that got us all was the quote from one of the guys in the mortar pit that went something like, "They are in the wire fire charge four !". Always wondered just how far back that they pushed that wire when the SEABEES were called in to clear back the brush. Then again, maybe they just wanted to fire it straight up in the air as far as they could to give themselves time to pull back under the cover of their own mortars. Damn, just got to love hollywood:D

Jack Moroney

NousDefionsDoc 08-09-2004 09:42

Quote:

Then again, maybe they just wanted to fire it straight up in the air as far as they could to give themselves time to pull back under the cover of their own mortars.
LOL - seems like I've heard of that technique somewhere.

Rocky Farr used to be found of saying "I jumped into John Wayne's A Camp on Benning in 1968."

Tuukka 08-09-2004 10:12

Any guesses on the origin of John Waynes character?

QRQ 30 08-09-2004 10:26

1 Attachment(s)
Is this what you're talking about Sir? This is the 4.2 pit at Dak To.:D :D :D

Sdiver 08-09-2004 10:29

Thanks Gents.....My Bad....It was Benning not Bragg that, the camp is at. I thought it might still be up.

QRQ 30....yes, "Renyolds", Col. Morgan's driver in the movie, does have a single stripe on. Didn't know that was a pfc back then. Thanks.

Kyobanim 08-09-2004 10:49

Re: Re: The Movie....The Green Berets

Quote:

Originally posted by Jack Moroney
They sent this movie to us while I was the commander at Ben Het before they sent it around to the other camps. I think the thing that got us all was the quote from one of the guys in the mortar pit that went something like, "They are in the wire fire charge four !". Always wondered just how far back that they pushed that wire when the SEABEES were called in to clear back the brush. Then again, maybe they just wanted to fire it straight up in the air as far as they could to give themselves time to pull back under the cover of their own mortars. Damn, just got to love hollywood:D

Jack Moroney

I was watching this last night when that line came up. He said charge 7 and I said WTF? I also wondered if they wanted to see how high they could get the round to go. I love the movies. :D

QRQ - That's not a mortar pit, that's a mortar condo!