Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   18E (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Kalua Communications Facility (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54738)

John051 03-26-2020 06:55

Kalua Communications Facility

The 18E Kalua Communications Training Facility was dedicated in honor of Mike Kalua on 10 May 2018. You can see the dedication here:
https://www.*******.com/watch?v=iR6e...ature=youtu.be

glebo 03-26-2020 08:01

KCF

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for that. Here's a couple pix I took a week or two ago when I went out to the guys. Haven't been in a week or so because of this China virus crap..

It took over a yr of time and paperwork to get the facility named after Mike. But, well worth it in the end...:lifter

I look at his picture in the foyer every time I go out there...

tom kelly 03-26-2020 13:30

KALUA Communications Facility:

Nice photos of the Facility. Good Job having the Commo Facility named after Mike Kalua.

John051 03-27-2020 16:34

SF Radio School

In 62 the school was an old WW2 building on Smoke Bomb Hill. Once we learned the equipment, cw, and procedules the instructors sent the students out back with radios to make contact with the school. We had to find WD1 cable on the ground, cut it, than set it up as an antenna. I fell in love with radio than, the magic of two way communicating through the air.

glebo 03-30-2020 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by John051 (Post 657321)
In 62 the school was an old WW2 building on Smoke Bomb Hill. Once we learned the equipment, cw, and procedules the instructors sent the students out back with radios to make contact with the school. We had to find WD1 cable on the ground, cut it, than set it up as an antenna. I fell in love with radio than, the magic of two way communicating through the air.

Yeah, probably the same area when I went through in 82. Sadly SF commo is no more than button pushing, we still do Theory, RW propagation and short/med/and long range ant's along with our primary HF radio. (prc-137).

But these days it's not the primary means of comms.

Sorry about the sideways pic's again, must be a thing I have (even though I don't know it)..lol of posting straight pix but end up being sideways here...go figure...

Hartley 04-09-2020 10:45

Smoke Bomb Hill

Sounds like when I went thru in '72 - a couple olde 2-story T-buildings, one for Morse and one for classrooms. There was another building further down the hill where the FRC-93's were set up and other stuff (I lived there as a building guard for a while :) )
Do 18Es still learn Morse?

Hartley

russn 04-09-2020 11:19

Brings back many memories

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John051 (Post 657321)

These shots are from June, 1968. Our class learned Morse with the Cornish system and it seems to have worked. For me at least. I can still copy slowly today.

Anyone know whatever happened to the Cornish code system?

glebo 04-09-2020 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley (Post 657850)
Sounds like when I went thru in '72 - a couple olde 2-story T-buildings, one for Morse and one for classrooms. There was another building further down the hill where the FRC-93's were set up and other stuff (I lived there as a building guard for a while :) )
Do 18Es still learn Morse?

Hartley

Sadly no. That stopped about 02-03.

That was one of the things that set a Special Forces Communicator vs SF Radio Operator

Code, HF-long-med-short range commo, expedient antennas, offline encryption used to set us apart from an ordinary radio operator...

IMO anyway...

Hartley 04-09-2020 13:11

Morris' buzzer code..

russn, thank you for those pictures.. if you substitute subdued insignia on the fatigues, that could have been my class :)

Glebo, it is sad.. I got to TG already knowing IMC, so it was not the trauma that I know it was for some.. in fact, I entered the 05B Phase 2 about halfway thru the IMC portion, and had to prove I could do 15/15 to get in (otherwise it was 12B or wait 16+ weeks :( )
But even in my time, code skills were marginal - in 1978 they decided to have every 05B in Bad Tolz do a 15/15 code test (at the Comm school there) - one guy passed :lifter

Hartley