Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Early Bird (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   U.S. Special Forces Command wants US companies to build Russian weapons (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53063)

bblhead672 12-05-2017 11:31

U.S. Special Forces Command wants US companies to build Russian weapons

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...ces-want-23495

Quote:

Why would U.S. special forces want to manufacture Russian machine guns?

Just watch any video of a conflict such as Iraq and Syria, and the answer becomes clear. Many of the combatants are using Russian or Soviet weapons, or local copies thereof, from rifles to rocket launchers to heavy machine guns mounted on pickups. Which means that when U.S. special forces provide some of these groups with weapons, they have to scrounge through the global arms market to buy Russian hardware as well as spare parts.

So U.S. Special Forces Command, which oversees America’s various commando units, has an idea: instead of buying Russian weapons, why not build their own? That’s why USSOCOM is asking U.S. companies to come up with a plan to manufacture Russian and other foreign weapons.
Perhaps it would be easier just to ask the ATF to "walk" the necessary guns across the border to whoever wants them. :D

35NCO 12-05-2017 11:57

I recall reading this earlier in the year. I thought it had been pulled.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-made-pkm-nsv/

From solicitation:

"For decades surrogate forces and allies have depended on foreign made weapons which are used in conflicts around the world. USSOCOM intermittently supplies surrogate forces and allies with foreign made weapons from international intermediaries. These foreign made weapons lack interchangeability and standardization which hinders field and depot level part replacement. Developing a domestic production capability for foreign like weapons addresses these issues while being cost effective as well as strengthens the nation’s military-industrial complex, ensures a reliable and secure supply chain, and reduces acquisition lead times.

PHASE I: Conduct a feasibility study to assess what is in the art of the possible that satisfies the requirements specified in the above paragraph entitled Description. As a part of this feasibility study, Proposers shall address all viable system design options with respective specifications to reverse engineer or re-engineer and domestically produce the following foreign like weapons: 7.62×54R belt fed light machine gun that resembles a PKM (Pulemyot Kalashnikova Modernizirovany), and a 12.7×108mm heavy machine gun that resembles a Russian designed NSV (Nikitin, Sokolov, Volkov). Hereafter, foreign like weapons is defined as a 7.62×54R belt-fed machine gun and a 12.7×108mm heavy machine gun. Offerors must describe their approach to replicate foreign made weapons and mass produce foreign like weapons with the same form, fit and function as the foreign made weapon counterpart. The approach must describe all facets of design to production to include the actions, activities, and processes necessary to 1) develop drawings and specifications to replicate foreign weapons, 2) acquire and manufacture materials and parts, 3) bring together a production capability, and 4) develop methods for testing and evaluating the manufactured weapon to drawings and specifications. The approach shall also address the manufacture of spare parts to support fielded weapons."

"....as strengthens the nation’s military-industrial complex" ?

frostfire 12-05-2017 12:38

Lots of the current 100% us made ak has been a travesty to the original

That contract would have been a money pit.

On the other hand, zillion dollar contract incentive could finally motivate US manufacturer to make solid Kalashnikov platform.
Surely Larue, seekins, knights etc can do wonders with stamped metal
But it won't cost the same as those made at Izmash.

So yea, still more economically feasible just to buy from eastern block

Combat Diver 12-05-2017 21:53

Buying the weapons isn't the issue. Its maintaining them with the correct parts. I just T/I'd 9 AKs this weekend from 6 different countries while down range. Only the 2 had some interchangable parts. Only thing they all have in common is the ammo chambering, magazine and manual of arms. Which goes back to the article above.

CD

frostfire 12-06-2017 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Diver (Post 636337)
Buying the weapons isn't the issue. Its maintaining them with the correct parts. I just T/I'd 9 AKs this weekend from 6 different countries while down range. Only the 2 had some interchangable parts. Only thing they all have in common is the ammo chambering, magazine and manual of arms. Which goes back to the article above.

CD

I'm quite surprised.

So the guide rod of an Egyptian madi won't fit to Bulgarian variant, and Chinese norinco recoil spring won't retrofit to the original Russian ? I understand the Yugo/zastava tends to have a fit of its own. I'm just wondering if the large basic fieldnstrip components do not interchange as readily. I guess I've overestimated the ak downrange compatibility

Thank you for the education CD