Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   DNA Test from 23andMe ?? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52872)

JJ_BPK 10-22-2017 08:57

DNA Test from 23andMe ??

2 Attachment(s)
Curiosity finally got me, I gave in and took the DNA test from 23andMe..

Results are about what I expected.. High North Western Europe percentage. Irish, Scotch, Swed..

Did miss on one, was always told my Mom's dad, Prosper Mazziott, was 100% Italian,, but only had a 2.1% hit?? :confused:

The Neanderthal markers were what I expected,, BUT you probably already know that?? .. :D

Has anyone, that took the test, tried to contact the suggested relatives?? They think I have several 1st cousins,, never heard of them..

:munchin

cbtengr 10-22-2017 09:05

I have been in contact with a distant cousin just 50 miles from where I live. The funny thing it is his wife whom I am not a blood relative of who is the genealogist not him. She was able to fill in the blanks back to 1755 in Scotland. I had no surprises.

JJ_BPK 10-22-2017 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 634009)
I have been in contact with a distant cousin just 50 miles from where I live. The funny thing it is his wife whom I am not a blood relative of who is the genealogist not him. She was able to fill in the blanks back to 1755 in Scotland. I had no surprises.

I might have to try a contact,, or several???

With all the Irish in my family, we weren't very productive of late. On my father's side, my G-pa had 6 brothers and sisters, 4 never had kids. Myself and one other cuz are all that survive, I am the only Johnson left.. On my Mom's side only three survive. Given that most were in their late 70t's to mid 80t's when they passed,, we have a Strange family..

:mad:

Team Sergeant 10-22-2017 09:56

I took the test too, came back pure Neanderthal.
;)

rsdengler 10-22-2017 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 634018)
;)

LOL....So does that mean you walk around with a club in your hand, wearing animal skin skimpy bottoms, and have a large cranial capacity? Man, that's way too Sexy.....Ha......:p

FILO 10-22-2017 13:40

The wife gave me the test as a gift. I'm 99.99 Northern European of which nearly .50% is English and Irish. The rest is a mix of German-French-Scandanavian with .01 Sardinian. I'm guessing the long lost Sardinian was part of the legion that came across the channel with Ceasar. I think the test is cool and actually confirmed much of what I knew about my background. I haven't tried reaching out to extended family. Yes, I'm Neanderthal as well and can smell asparagus.:)

PRB 10-22-2017 14:10

Had a good friend do this someplace...and he did the a high end expensive very exacting deal.....and they indicated possible relatives.

Turns our Granny had some extra curricular activities because some of the 'relatives' are known to them as one of her neighbors back in the day....

You never know what you'll run into....

mojaveman 10-23-2017 03:49

Quote:

That's what I was thinking, it would explain some of my behavior when I was younger. :D

Pete 10-28-2017 05:25

My daughter did it old school when she was in college and most lines faded away in the 1800's but she was able to trace my great grandparents on my mothers side back to their home town in Norway - we knew where they came from.

From that she was able to track - after getting used to how they named kids - back to the mid 1300's.

Couple of years ago she did 23andme without the DNA test and pushed that line back to 1152. Got one Swedish lady married into the family a few years after that.

She broke out her iPhone at supper last night and it was a hoot looking through the links. It confirmed what she had did the hard way but there were some surprises.

I knew my dad's mom was the German in the tree but her tree was also full of Norwegians.

My daughter and SIL did the DNA test a bit ago and are waiting on the results.

She was contacted by a descendant of my great grandfather's brother in Norway who sent her a bunch of family lore from the area.

Me and the wife are going to get it done.

JJ_BPK 03-23-2018 13:33

2 Attachment(s)
Received a note from 23andme, seems they do recalc's and updates every so often.

They found a couple more "relatives", but the best match is only 4-5 %, suggesting 2-3rd cuz. Thinking I may try to contact the top 3 or 4 for shits-n-giggles.

I did get more info on my Irish lineage. I am a direct descendant of King Niall Noígíallach, aka: Niall of the Nine Hostages, Northern Ireland around 400AD. :lifter

When he conquered the realm, he personally took it upon himself to impregnate as many maidens as available. They estimated 2-3 MILLION male descendants are walking about. :D

I also noticed I am some small part Native American and Asian. :eek: I have no idea where that comes from?? I just hope I'm not related to Pocahontas Warren :mad:

JimP 03-23-2018 14:23

JJ same here. I believed I was kind of a mutt as I didn't know jack about my dad's side of the family. Turns out I am almost all Irish with a very tiny location of England and a freakish amount of Neanderthal. Explains a LOT of things....

JJ_BPK 03-23-2018 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 641637)
JJ same here. I believed I was kind of a mutt as I didn't know jack about my dad's side of the family. Turns out I am almost all Irish with a very tiny location of England and a freakish amount of Neanderthal. Explains a LOT of things....

This it does,
Cuz :D

PRB 03-23-2018 21:22

Interesting stuff....watch out for paternity suits...they spread your DNA around to 'relatives'... :)

Trapper John 03-24-2018 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 634018)
;)

Long lost cousins we are?? Mine came back pure Hillbilly. Just an evolutionary branch of Neanderthal. :D