Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Aid Bag (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   personal medical kit contents (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18532)

swatsurgeon 06-09-2008 18:07

personal medical kit contents

What would you consider the essentials to have in your personal carry kit? Size is typical leg bag/molle pouch. What are the contents and be specific. I reserve the right to critique and be critical. Realestate and weight as well as utility are all major factors.
This can be a wish list by the way..
If you want a tourniquet you have to specify which one (and why), etc for all equipment. My goal is to find a standardized list that civilians or military "should" carry. Most civilians carry stuff that serves little or no purpose...but it looks cool and chicks dig it.

Ss

FMF DOC 06-09-2008 18:28

If I'm the Doc I need to know number of personnel on mission, length of mission, ect ect..... But lots of pressure bandages, got to control the bleeding. As far as a tournaquet why have one in med kit when you use your wounded belt.

The Reaper 06-09-2008 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMF DOC (Post 212471)
As far as a tournaquet why have one in med kit when you use your wounded belt.

Because you may need more than one, you may only have one hand to place it, or you may want something more effective than a belt to save your buddy.

TR

desertmedic 06-09-2008 18:47

In a drop leg rig for the care under fire phase:

1. Tourniquets, CAT (3-4) (Easy access to this type)
2. Surgical cric kits (2) ("home made" and sealed with ET tube, shortened scalpel, "hook" to stabilize trach, alcohol preps, and tube tamer)
3. 12ga decompression needles (4-6 needles) with one way valves
4. A couple Israeli dressings
5. Petroleum gauze/tegaderms
6. Trauma shears
7. Pen light
8. Non-latex gloves

The rest of the bag is stuffed with a few cravats, roller gauze, alcohol preps, etc. Most equipment choices are based on what I can get through the current supply chain. NARP used to make a cric kit like the one described above, but I don't think it is availabe in the compact packaging anymore. Keep a lot more stuff in the aid bag to use when things calm down a bit. Stay safe and standing by for critique/advice,

Desertmedic

swatsurgeon 06-09-2008 19:17

Let me clarify, this is not the medics kit, this is a kit that is on everyone...you get wounded and you either use the contents on youself or the medic uses it on you, saving his own equipment for others or when your pouch contents are inadequate to care for you.

Ss

MtnGoat 06-09-2008 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by swatsurgeon (Post 212468)
What would you consider the essentials to have in your personal carry kit? Most civilians carry stuff that serves little or no purpose...but it looks cool and chicks dig it.

Ss

I just go down to my Local WALMART.. would that work SS? :p

MtnGoat 06-09-2008 19:53

OKAY on the real side now...

First off in all side pockets (arms & Legs pockets) 1ea CAT or SOFT Tourniquets; 5 total with one in Chest area. If I'm driving the lead V... I have 1 to 2 ea on my legs (Thighs) if needed, road IED threat. GMVs, M1114s get smokey FAST.

I go for something on side of my kit, waist level. What my Tm Medic hands out. Something along these lines.

2ea "Isreali" Fld Dressings
2ea kerlix gauze
2ea Chest Dressing
2ea Non-latex gloves
1ea Pill Pack
1ea 3" roll coban gauze
1ea 4" Elastic (ACE) Bandage
1ea Medical Shears (not in IFAK, I carry it center of chest area)
1ea Pk Petroleum gauze
1ea one 28fr nasopharyngeal airway with lubricant packet
1ea hemostatic gauze Pk

VXMerlinXV 06-09-2008 21:19

6” self adhering ACE
3” self adhering ACE
Asherman Chest Seal
Xeroform dressing
2 ABD pads
5 pack of sterile 4X4 gauze
6” Kerlex
14 ga. Angiocath 2.5” length
100 ml Saline eyewash
2 pr. Large gloves
2” roll Durapore
10 blade scalpel
32 fr NPA
Packet surgilube (taped to npa)
In a perfect world a Benchmade Rescue 5, but a pair of trauma shears will do
Hemostat
2 safety pins
All of this fits in a large ziplock, which will fit in a BDU pants pocket.
The kit can be chopped down to fit in a 1 qt canteen pouch, which would contain the 6” ACE, the Kerlex, the ACS, one ABD pad, The 14 ga. IV cath, the eyewash bottle, the gloves, tape, and the NPA with lube.

Razor 06-09-2008 21:43

I'm assuming we're talking GSW/Blast trauma kit, and not something I'd take with me on a backpacking trip, right?

Razor,
Correct, not for backpacking

Surgicalcric 06-09-2008 22:01

1. Gloves (PPE)
2. Nasal Airway 7.0 (secure Airway)
3. (2) large safety pins (secure bandage, sling, or to secure airway in a pinch)
4. 14 ga or larger 3” catheter (needle drill)
5. Cinch Tight “H” bandage (large bandage)
6. (2) Cinch Tight priMed gauze roll (smaller vaccum sealed Kerlix)
7. Duct tape (no kit is complete without it)
8. Quick Clot, HemCon, or TraumaDex as you prefer (duh)
9. Tourniquet SOFT-T(there should also be a minimum of 1 more on the soldiers centerline which he can get to with either hand (2 is 1; 1 is none)
10. Pill Pack (Mobic 15mg, Acetaminophen 1000mg, and Gatafloxacin 400mg)
11. Chest seals (Package from item 5 & 6 can be used for occlusive dressings along with duct tape thus saving weight and space)

I think that about covers it.

I am rethinking what I am having my guys carry. There may be changes to this list as I test out a few newer bandages...

Crip

nmap 06-09-2008 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by swatsurgeon (Post 212468)
My goal is to find a standardized list that civilians or military "should" carry. Most civilians carry stuff that serves little or no purpose...but it looks cool and chicks dig it.

Ss

Sir, thank you very much for creating this thread.

I wonder what level of training the civilian is expected to have. I would not know how to use a tourniquet, much less a catheter.

krod 06-10-2008 07:42

this is what we got on our shoulder:

14g catheter
vacuum sealed kerlex
NPA
HEMCON or quikclot
Asherman or Opsite for chest wounds
Israeli bandage

and a CAT on the front of our kit.

This is vacuum sealed and in our shoulder pocket.

swatsurgeon 06-10-2008 13:41

Gentlemen,
I will not have computer access again until thursday so I will begin my comments then. Please continue to post what you think is the personal kit contents of choice.
Thanks
ss

Kyobanim 06-10-2008 14:05

Crip,

Duct tape? I can imagine a use but I'd like to hear it from you. What do you use it for?

Surgicalcric 06-10-2008 14:13

Kyo:

I use it because it will stick to anything. Though I must admit, sometimes it sticks too well.

Crip