Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   18E (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   PDA-184 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36013)

69harley 11-30-2011 12:18

PDA-184

Does anyone know who to contact on Bragg for a copy of PDA-184 software?

This software is available free from DISA, but nobody in the S-6 knows where to get it from.

Whitetip1115 04-07-2012 16:49

It usually ships on a 256mb flash drive with the USB to 117/PSC-5/MBITR Cable, and is essentially useless without the cables.

P/N for the 117G cable is 9065 and cage code is ONLW9, that might get you started in the right direction.

JROD 04-11-2012 10:54

PDA-184

Their are multiple versions out there and some are not compatible. I am currently the USASFC Tactical Comms guy and I can provide you with a copy if you have not yet accuired one. Also if you nee to know the correct version. I can be reached at 910-643-8436 / SFC Rodriguez, Johnny.

Electron 05-14-2012 14:45

Try your Electronics Maintenance Shop. If they don't have it, they can point you in the right direction.

rocketjok 05-14-2012 23:55

There is also a zip file containing several versions on the latest sompe build

69harley 05-15-2012 07:44

I picked up a copy from the committee awhile back. I really like how this software enables all of the various radios to pass data. No more proprietary addressing, as it is all IP based.

I also really like the cables from Smartronix vs the overpriced, single-purpose cables from Harris, Thales and Ratheon. The Smartronix cable will load, remote control and pass data, whereas the radio companies have you buying a seperate cable for each task.

rocketjok 05-30-2012 22:52

Could you post the NSN's to those cables. I have a buddy over in a LRSC unit that needed some help they got issued those cables and jem mbitrs to use with PDA184 and could not get them to work. I got them to work but its a pain in the ass and not reliable. Any experince using them with jems? My team just got some jems for pmt and I snaged a cable to experment with.

Whitetip1115 06-10-2012 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69harley (Post 448612)
I picked up a copy from the committee awhile back. I really like how this software enables all of the various radios to pass data. No more proprietary addressing, as it is all IP based.

I also really like the cables from Smartronix vs the overpriced, single-purpose cables from Harris, Thales and Ratheon. The Smartronix cable will load, remote control and pass data, whereas the radio companies have you buying a seperate cable for each task.

I wasn't able to get the smartronix cable to work on my CF-19 albeit I only plugged it in twice. Tried to install the software but it was a no-go. Anything special you did with yours? I borrowed one from our CCT in lieu of our 117G PDA cable.

69harley 06-10-2012 18:00

I had no trouble getting the Smarttronix cable to work. As for PDA-184 and the MBITR or JEM, so far it seems to run pretty well for us. Much faster than the old V-Mail.

The Reaper 06-10-2012 18:10

This isn't SIPR, or even NIPR.

Let's make sure this stays within appropriate security classifications and complies with SIGSEC.

TR

69harley 07-12-2012 15:40

Interesting brief on the history and future of PDA-184. Joe Adami would certainly be proud.

PDA-184 Update

The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) Special Operations Research, Development and Acquisition Center (SORDAC), Program Executive Officer for Command, Control, Communications and Computers (PEO C4) requires systems engineering support for continued development and maintenance of Personal Data Assistant (PDA-184) software. The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) was tasked with the responsibility for managing the engineering, software development and maintenance support for PDA-184.

DISA initially, developed PDA-184 software in the late 1990's as an experimental tool (A Beta Version of the current PDA-184 application) to enhance the MIL-STD-188-184 protocol. Around 2006, USSOCOM requested that DISA assess PDA-184 application for further development and modifications to determine its operational functionality in the Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) environment. DISA's assessment study identified that the PDA-184 could be adapted as a user friendly operational application at significant cost savings when compared to commercially available proprietary applications.

PDA-184's development reached a major milestone in 2007, with the release of PDA-184 Version 4.9.3. Through additional enhancements, we recently released Version 4.11.1 and in doing so, we have reached a terminal point in the development of the current software architecture of the PDA-184 application.

Further development will include consolidation of multiple versions of PDA-184 into a single version to regain configuration control and code refactoring (re-architecture) to reduce code complexity; improved readability and maintainability, and improve code extensibility. Code re-architecture will enable a multiplicity of coding enhancements unachievable today.

Because of a recent decision by DISA management to bifurcate the PDA-184 and the IW (PDA-184 Interface), the evolution of the PDA-184 will continue on an independent path. We will also endeavor to promote structure to the current evolutionary software development effort and underpin its importance to the WARFIGHTER by officially listing the PDA-184 as a DISA "Project of Record." As such, System Engineering disciplines will be established and continued in follow-on efforts to capture and document previous accomplishments, foster performance based processes and advance future code development.

vtx1800c 10-26-2016 13:29

PDA-184

I know this is an Old Thread, but am wondering if anyone has some advice on how to get the PDA-184 Software. While I am not a member of your Distinguished Community, I am a CECOM LAR and I do support you Brothers here at Ft Campbell in 5th Group. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated Gentlemen.

Gunny1 08-02-2017 08:18

PDA-184 Information

The latest information on PDA-184 can always be obtained by visiting the PDA-184 Page at DISA's website. The application is actively being maintained by DISA and a new release is expected within the next few months.

Gunny1 08-02-2017 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69harley (Post 426344)
Does anyone know who to contact on Bragg for a copy of PDA-184 software?

This software is available free from DISA, but nobody in the S-6 knows where to get it from.

The latest information on PDA-184 can always be obtained by visiting the PDA-184 Page at DISA's website. The application is actively being maintained by DISA and a new release is expected within the next few months.