Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Early Bird (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   ABC to Air "Good Muslim Bitches" TV Pilot (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32626)

Dusty 03-05-2011 07:18

ABC to Air "Good Muslim Bitches" TV Pilot

My bad: It's actually a pilot for "Good Christian Bitches"...

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...le/?test=faces

An ABC pilot called “Good Christian Bitches” has religious and women’s groups up in arms over what they describe as an extremely offensive and distasteful show title.

The dramedy, based on Kim Gatlin’s novel of the same name, will be brought to life by famed “Sex and the City” and “90210” executive producer Darren Star. The plot centers on the life of reformed “mean girl” Amanda, played by “Talladega Nights” actress Leslie Bibb, who returns to her hometown of Dallas to find herself fodder for malicious gossip from the women in the Christian community.

Still in the early stages, the pilot has not been guaranteed a spot on ABC’s lineup. And though the show’s title may change before it goes to broadcast, “Good Christian Bitches” is already causing uproar.

Christian publisher Tessie DeVore told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column that the show, which features the tagline “For Heaven’s sake, don’t let God get in the way of a good story!” could put Christians in an unfairly bad light.

“I find the title offensive. I don’t think those two words should be combined,” she said. “A show like this can damage perceptions [of Christians in this country].”

It also could be a slippery slope for future shows, said Melissa Henson, director of communications and public education for the Parents’ Television Council tells Tarts.

“In the past, we’ve raised concerns about changing language standards for television," Henson said. "Once a particular profanity or obscenity has been embraced by a particular show, it quickly becomes mainstream.”

And Yana Walton from the Women’s Media Center said Christians aren't the only ones who should be upset.

“It is not an appropriate term to use to describe any woman, regardless of their faith,” Walton said. “Entertainment media, especially music and films, have been normalizing misogynistic language for years.”

But despite the seemingly outrageous title, Dan Gainor, head of the Culture and Media Institute, is not surprised that the pilot has gone this far already.

“ABC is doubling down on the offensive by also approving ‘Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23,’ following up on the CBS show ‘$#*! My Dad Says.’ And this continued decline is unsurprising,” he said.

“The media keeps trying to redefine words and morality to mean what they say, not what they really do mean," Gainor added. "One wonders which network will be the first to drop the F-bomb in a TV title and whether the FCC will even intervene.”

Even if the title holds up, some are looking forward to the show.

“ABC’s core viewership is Christian, so the goal of the show won’t be to attack Christianity. Just like the book, this is a show by Christians, for (mostly) Christians, to enjoy a little prime-time self-deprecation,” Los Angeles-based entertainment expert, Jenn Hoffman said

Richard 03-05-2011 07:31

Quote:

“I find the title offensive. I don’t think those two words should be combined,” she said. “A show like this can damage perceptions [of Christians in this country].”
LOL - that's a good one!

Richard
:munchin

kgoerz 03-05-2011 07:35

Religious people put a lot of self importance on themselves. Nobody cares.

The Reaper 03-05-2011 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgoerz (Post 379735)

They do when they are Muslims, and kill people over it.:rolleyes:

I guess Christians are a safe group to mock.

TR

1stindoor 03-10-2011 08:22

Latest news on the subject...
Quote:

ABC sparked outrage when they announced they were developing a pilot based on Kim Gatlin’s book, “Good Christian Bitches.”

Following last week’s FOX411 report, the American Family Association started a petition calling on “ABC and parent company Disney to drop all plans to air the anti-Christian program ‘Good Christian B-tches.’"

ABC has since changed the working title to “GCB,” but the AFA is undaunted.

"Our boycott has really resonated with television viewers – especially the Christian community – who are shocked and appalled that ABC/Disney would even consider airing such a program with anti-Christian content, anti-Christian bigotry and the insulting of the American Christian with this type of show,” Randy Sharp, director of special projects for the American Family Association, told FOX411. “The name of the show is offensive to Christians, it's insulting and demeaning, it's misrepresentative of the Christian community–not just that, I think it's insulting to all women.”

The petition is at 120,000 signatures and growing.

“As more and more people find out about it, they want to take action and speak out,” Sharp explained. “And this is one way they can make their voices heard with the executives at ABC."

The dramedy will be brought to life by “Sex and the City” and “90210” executive producer Darren Star. The plot centers on the life of reformed “mean girl” Amanda, played by “Talladega Nights” actress Leslie Bibb, who returns to her hometown of Dallas to find herself fodder for malicious gossip from the women in the Christian community.

While the title of the show may have been abbreviated, the gravity of insult has not, according to Sharp.

“I'm going to speak personally,” Sharp said. “Anyone would who would refer to my wife or my daughters as a 'B,' it would make me extremely angry and I think it's insulting in general for ABC to think that this is an appropriate word to use for females.”
http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.c...t/?test=faces#

Wolf07 03-10-2011 08:47

Quote:

I was unaware that I did that. I am fascinated you know that, without ever meeting me. :munchin

I am tired of people who rag on Christianity and other religions, when in my experience they tend to be the "nice" people. sure, every group has its bad apples. But blanket statements are just wrong.

And I certainly do not approve of my Christian sisters being portrayed as a bunch of "bitches".

This was not a good way to start my day.

Richard 03-10-2011 09:10

Quote:

And I certainly do not approve of my Christian sisters being portrayed as a bunch of "bitches".
I agree - that's so olde school. They should've used "beeyotches" for a broader appeal to anyone under 40.

Quote:

I suggest you get a dog. I have a Black Lab bitch - she thinks I'm gawd and I go along with it - makes both our days better. :D

Have a very SF day.

Richard

Dusty 03-10-2011 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 380647)
I agree - that's so olde school. They should've used "beeyotches" for a broader appeal to anyone under 40.

I suggest you get a dog. I have a Black Lab bitch - she thinks I'm gawd and I go along with it - makes both our days better. :D

Have a very SF day.

Richard

I guess atheists can have it both ways; sittin' in the cat bird seat and smartassing everybody with a belief in God.

Sacamuelas 03-10-2011 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf07 (Post 380643)
I was unaware that I did that. I am fascinated you know that, without ever meeting me. :munchin

Hey Wolf... you better turn on your situation awareness asap. kgoerz is a vetted QP on this board. Your profile states "ROTC" as your quals. YOU are a guest here. Disagree all you want, but do it respectfully. All that youthful sarcasm isn't needed when addressing other members :mad:

Quote:

when in my experience they tend to be the "nice" people. sure, every group has its bad apples. But blanket statements are just wrong.
Nice blanket statement. LOL I have also found that most child molesters that I have had conversations with through my job profess to be strict religious believers and quote scripture to me all the time. How's that for a blanket statement.

On topic... I am against the tv show's title for reasons much more important to me than religious vanity. It's public television and the commercials/trailers for it will run during times that my 7 yr old children will be watching tv. I do not want them to be "mainstreamed" into thinking that calling women bitches is acceptable.

greenberetTFS 03-10-2011 09:19

Quote:

I am tired of people who rag on Christianity and other religions, when in my experience they tend to be the "nice" people. sure, every group has its bad apples. But blanket statements are just wrong.

I agree with this young man,that title is inappropriate and gives a bad impression about Christian women.............:(:(:(

Big Teddy

Richard 03-10-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty (Post 380649)
I guess atheists can have it both ways; sittin' in the cat bird seat and smartassing everybody with a belief in God.

FWIW - it can be said that I am many things - but athiest is not one of them and neither is Christian.

As for the original topic of this thread, I, too, find the use of the word 'bitches' in the title of any mainstreaam TV program to be uncalled for and inappropriate no matter who it refers to in the program.

And so it goes...

Richard

1stindoor 03-10-2011 10:20

I may have asked this before...but what do you call an agnostic insomniac dyslexic?

Someone that stays awake all night wondering if there truly is a Dog.

KW9598 03-10-2011 13:19

more importantly, Leslie Bibb is hot

The Creepy One 03-10-2011 13:33

Eh, I find the title and the show's premise offensive and I would like to do something painful to them, but by the same token I'm not surprised I mean, it's TV, what'd you expect?

Sigaba 03-10-2011 14:22

Quote:

But blanket statements are just wrong.

Ah, irony.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty (Post 380649)

In my experience, QP Richard smart asses everybody, regardless of their religiosity.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KW9598 (Post 380692)
more importantly, Leslie Bibb is hot

Fortunately, I'm sophisticated enough as a television viewer that a actor's hotness will not motivate me to watch a television show. (Primarily because Christina Applegate passed on the lead character and Ms. Bibb got the role.)