Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48059)

LongWayToGo 02-09-2015 22:51

Questions

First off, thank you to the QPs for everything you have done and continue to do. As I am in your home, I have done my best to make a respectful first impression: I have posted an introduction, filled out my profile, read all of the stickies, read 'A Message To Garcia', searched other threads for my questions, and have been lurking and researching on this forum before opening my mouth. The last thing I want to do is disrespect you in any way.
With that being said, I am a highschool senior aspiring to one day be SF. I know you guys hear this all the time, so I will get right to it:

1.) When I PT, I commonly think to myself thoughts that make me competitive. Wanting to do SF, the slots are always limited, so I'll think something like, 'Are you going to let him beat you? Does he want this more than you?'. Do you think that this attitude is selfish, and could inhibit teamwork in the future?

2.) After reading some books on SEALs, it seems that they have a thought that always hits them when they think about quitting (ex. I don't want to go back to the fleet.). Did you have anything like this is in SF training? What kept you going when the little voice in your head told you to quit?

3.) Finally, what can I be doing now to prepare myself for the difficult life of SF? Literally every day I PT, read books related to the field, study for school, and teach myself arabic off of the internet.

Thank you for your time. Again, I tried to do everything right before posting. If I didn't, I will correct my mistake and be gone until ready to return.

Team Sergeant 02-10-2015 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongWayToGo (Post 574786)
First off, thank you to the QPs for everything you have done and continue to do. As I am in your home, I have done my best to make a respectful first impression: I have posted an introduction, filled out my profile, read all of the stickies, read 'A Message To Garcia', searched other threads for my questions, and have been lurking and researching on this forum before opening my mouth. The last thing I want to do is disrespect you in any way.
With that being said, I am a highschool senior aspiring to one day be SF. I know you guys hear this all the time, so I will get right to it:

1.) When I PT, I commonly think to myself thoughts that make me competitive. Wanting to do SF, the slots are always limited, so I'll think something like, 'Are you going to let him beat you? Does he want this more than you?'. Do you think that this attitude is selfish, and could inhibit teamwork in the future?

2.) After reading some books on SEALs, it seems that they have a thought that always hits them when they think about quitting (ex. I don't want to go back to the fleet.). Did you have anything like this is in SF training? What kept you going when the little voice in your head told you to quit?

3.) Finally, what can I be doing now to prepare myself for the difficult life of SF? Literally every day I PT, read books related to the field, study for school, and teach myself arabic off of the internet.

Thank you for your time. Again, I tried to do everything right before posting. If I didn't, I will correct my mistake and be gone until ready to return.

Yeah, none of us have that little voice in our heads, we don't quit, ever.

And before you post again I would suggest you read everything in the "Pipeline" first.

Peregrino 02-10-2015 12:01

Hmmm - the voices in my head always have something to contribute; however, I can't ever remember them advocating quitting. On the other hand I have had to learn not to act on all of their suggestions, no matter how good they sounded at the time. I've also learned not to repeat most of what they say out loud; other people don't always appreciate the accuracy of their observations.

If you wait patiently, some of our other members with less restraint than I have will be along shortly to direct you to the numerous threads where your questions have already been answered ad nauseum. (Hint - we're looking for self-starters, not someone who needs direction and external motivation to find his way.)

LongWayToGo 02-10-2015 17:38

I apologize for starting this thread, I realize that I should have searched more. I'll look through the pipeline and other threads now, and take this opportunity to cut my losses. Again, sorry for the needless post.

Dive08 02-12-2015 05:58

Quote:

Study, get good grades and keep your nose clean. Simple. All this voices in my head nonsense is just that.

spottedmedic111 02-12-2015 07:42

A respectful first post....nice. You'll go far with your current attitude. My advice is be patient, develop a strong character, stay focused, and listen and/or read. "Long way to go" is a good admission, but don't get daunted. Be patient.

ZonieDiver 02-12-2015 08:50

I hear the voices in my head all the time, but have no idea what they're saying as I don't speak French!

Box 02-12-2015 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongWayToGo (Post 574786)

If you want to gain some insight on being an SF guy, stop reading books about SEALs. Think about this...
..."I don't want to go back to the fleet"

If your little voice is worried about going 'back to the fleet' then you are already dealing with as much of an ego problem as a quitting problem. We don't want folks that only want to join SF because they don't want to be in the Army.
-A Sailor that is worried more about "being in the fleet" than his task at hand is serving his ego, not the nation. A Soldier that is worried about going "back to division" more than he is worried about completing his task needs to fix his ego before it gets someone killed.

The road is long.
The road is all up hill.
There is no "end" of the road; there is just "more road".
In a nod to the SEALs, "the last easy day was yesterday"

Don't worry about the little voice in your head and just remember that "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"...
...and stop reading those fucking books about SEALs