Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Painted Uniforms (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50613)

RedLegGI 03-31-2016 12:22

Painted Uniforms

Quiet Professionals,

Just a quick question for you as to if you ever painted a uniform? More specifically DCU's. The reason I ask is because I recently came across DCU that has black spray paint to presumably break up the outline. I know I've run across plenty of gear and helmets that have been painted to better blend it but a uniform is an oddity.

With respect,

Red

Pete 03-31-2016 13:13

Seen it Done

Seen it done with jungles - never DCUs.

Hint - wash before wearing.

RedLegGI 03-31-2016 13:25

lol sage advice for sure. The paint is actually quite faded so I think it's been worn/washed quite a bit and doesn't retain that smell. I've no plans on wearing it just hoping to fill in its history a bit :D

doctom54 03-31-2016 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLegGI (Post 606220)
Quiet Professionals,

Just a quick question for you as to if you ever painted a uniform? More specifically DCU's. The reason I ask is because I recently came across DCU that has black spray paint to presumably break up the outline. I know I've run across plenty of gear and helmets that have been painted to better blend it but a uniform is an oddity.

With respect,

Red

Did it with some OD jungle fatigues in the early '70s. Only did it because nothing else available.
Also dyed some OD jungle fatigues black.
Don't recommend either one with all the stuff available today..

Golf1echo 03-31-2016 16:48

Not sure if Grey Group still has them up but they had a wall of used pieces many of which were painted for the environment used in.

Edit: It appears they are no longer there...

Team Sergeant 03-31-2016 17:51

I've "painted" the burlap threads on my ghillie suit to blend in better..... worked too.

mark46th 03-31-2016 20:49

Some SOG guys spray painted jungle fatigues black, depending on the AO.

Full disclosure- I was not in SOG, I got to SE Asia a little late. I do have a few friends that were, this information comes from them...

CSB 03-31-2016 22:02

In the Q course in 1975 we spray painted our slant pocket jungle fatigues with flat black paint, just made them kind of "smokey" looking, not solid black, not the OD green. Almost impossible to see at night, and blended well in the woods. It worked well in Pineland and the Pisgah National Forest. I wouldn't know about what folks may have done OCONUS to subdue the DCU.

RedLegGI 04-01-2016 08:24

Thank you all for your responses to this question. Some interesting stories of use and implementation as well.

exsquid 04-08-2016 20:37

You can see examples of painted WWII fatigues at the Airborne / Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville. Guys have doing it for ages. On a side note, you can also see a WWII example of pockets sewn onto fatigue sleeves by a rigger.

x/S

FlagDayNCO 04-09-2016 09:51

Black on DCUs

The black in the DCU could have come from the MOPP suit. Do they even call it that anymore?

The chemical suits (MOPP) has charcoal in them and wearing the suit over your DCUs for a couple of days results in the charcoal soaking into the DCU and giving them a smokey look.

I still have a set of the chocolate chips from Desert Storm and there is evidence of the charcoal. They've been washed numerous times.

Maybe the DCUs were worn during the Iraq invasion in 2003.

Team Sergeant 04-09-2016 09:57

Hell we paint our faces, paint all of our equipment, why not paint our uniforms?

I cringe every time I watch Vietnam war footage and see the Americans wearing "bright" patches on their uniforms in battle. You just have to wonder about the "genius" that made those decisions. The same "genius" is also designing the battle uniforms currently being worn, females are the designing the battle fatigues. Chew on that a while.

Genius.

Pete 04-09-2016 10:06

Chocolate Chips

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlagDayNCO (Post 606693)
The black in the DCU could have come from the MOPP suit. Do they even call it that anymore?.....

We didn't call them Chocolate Chips because of the charcoal. We called them that because the black made them look like a chocolate chip cookie.

RedLegGI 04-10-2016 09:13

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of the uniform

Pete 04-10-2016 09:52

Not Chocotale Chips

Not Chocolate Chips

Those are the post DS/DS Desert Camouflage pattern. And I'd say post, post because of the sleeve pockets. Regular issue in 1993 didn't have sleeve pockets.

My hat says

HAT, CAMOUFLAGE
PATTERN: DESERT
DLA 100-90-D-0586
84(?)5-01-327-4834

Your tags should read similar.