Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Comedy Zone (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Seal Team 5 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27990)

Buffalobob 03-06-2010 09:18

Seal Team 5

Goose season ends today so yesterday I tried to get to the Potomac River up in the Paw Paw Bends to give them one last try but the back roads are still iced over in places and I didn’t think a couple of geese were worth banging up my truck so I just turned around and headed up to the Green Ridge Rifle Range to work on some new loads for my XP and the 40X. There was already one guy there who was going to test his rifle.

We got to talking while waiting on it to get to 10:00 when we could shoot. After a while I looked up at his ball cap and said “I see your Force Recon hat, were you in Vietnam?

He said “Seal Team 5”

I thought to myself that in my whole life I have never met a Seal much less a RVN seal so I asked “Where were you in RVN?”

He said “Everywhere, we just went everywhere and all over. Where ever they sent us is where we went.”

I thought that was strange being as Vietnam was a fairly large place so I asked

“Up North in I Corps or down South in the Delta”

He said “Just about everywhere you can imagine and places we weren’t supposed to be”

I said “I ran Recon up north around Chu Lai, Danang, DMZ, Arizona”.

He said “ I was in Chu Lai and Danang, What unit were you with”

I said “2/1 196th.”

He changed the subject to fishing in cold weather and we talked about that a while. He asked me how far I thought an ex-seal could swim in 38 degree water. I said I didn’t know so he proceeded to tell me a story of swimming 50 yards fully dressed after his boat got loose from the tie up at the ramp on the Potomac on winter day. Well, not to be outdone by a member of Seal Team 5 I told him my method of retrieving geese being as I have no dog. After I explained to him about stripping down to wade out into the river with big chunks of ice floating down and grabbing the first goose to come by and then having to wait a minute or so until the next one came by he wanted to change the subject again. So we talked about hunting until it was legal to shoot.

I guess now I can say I have met a real seal and a member of Team 5, whoever they were. I can also say that they aren’t much good with a rifle and they apparently do not swim much in really cold water. There is also some doubt about their map reading skill being as he didn’t seem to know where he had been.

Always nice to have some light humor at the rifle range.

LarryW 03-06-2010 10:10

He's lucky you didn't plug him when you were allowed to shoot. :D

greenberetTFS 03-06-2010 12:25

I can imagine that thought occurred to him!!!!............... ;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Richard 03-06-2010 18:02

There was no SEAL Team 5 in RVN. :mad:

Richard

longrange1947 03-06-2010 22:54

DANG Richard, you always spoil a good story with facts!! :D :D

NoRoadtrippin 03-08-2010 22:03

Yeah facts just cloud the real issues. Re: The Hurt Locker.

PSM 03-08-2010 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 319053)
There was no SEAL Team 5 in RVN. :mad:

Richard

Actually, there was. Buffalobob met him. He said he was everywhere. But, it was called SEAL Individual 5. ;)

Paat

alright4u 03-10-2010 00:24

SEALS IN RVN

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 319339)
Actually, there was. Buffalobob met him. He said he was everywhere. But, it was called SEAL Individual 5. ;)

Paat

Some SEAL Teams ran up north, who actually worked on another SOG OP. Two received the CMH. Thornton and Norris. Then the majority were in the Delta. Now clowns like the Sen Kerry, NE were attacking Hon tre Island off Nha Trang. I do not know a man in the 5th GP in RVN, who ever saw a VC on Hon Tre.