Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Gourmet Guerrilla (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Pressure Cooker (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53275)

cbtengr 01-28-2018 08:31

Pressure Cooker

Does anyone have or use one of these pressure cookers that they advertise on TV all the time? If you use one of any kind what do you like or dislike about it?

abc_123 01-28-2018 09:42

My wife uses one all the time and loves it. It's her goto pot.

uses it for making soup. and rice. browns meat in it. uses it as a slow cooker if thats what she wants. . its multi functional.

get the big size and you won't go wrong. we have the Farberware brand.

PSM 01-28-2018 10:44

1 Attachment(s)
We've got an 8L Fagor that's rated for oil, too. We got it when we were sailing because, the way it locks, if it slid off the stove nothing would spill.

I use it to make broasted chicken with hot oil under pressure (8 to 9 minutes). My wife uses it mostly to make beans, two hours rather than all day. A pot roast takes about an hour.

abc_123 01-28-2018 11:25

Duplicate post

Box 01-28-2018 14:21

I have a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. I have used it to cook chili, chicken stew, beef stew, pot roast, New England boiled dinner, pulled pork, and even cooked a pasta/meat sauce dish - all with good results.

If it takes 6 hours in a crock pot, you can usually cut that time by a third or more. I can't think of any real reason for me NOT to have one now that I have started using it. If I had to get rid of my pressure cooker or crockpot because of storage space, I'd unload the crockpot without a second thought.

Pete 01-28-2018 15:18

Don't use mine near enough as I should.

I have an old stove top one and that critter will do meal in a snap of the fingers.

Last time I used it I cooked a huge beef roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. Sear the meat, coat it with gravy mix, cook for 10 minutes, depressurize, add the other stuff, bring it back up to pressure and cook another 10 minutes.

The wife loved it - plus she didn't have to cook or clean up.

InnaK 01-28-2018 17:48

Pressure cooker

N/A

Team Sergeant 01-29-2018 16:03

Pressure cooker

Pressure cooker = NSA, TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Pete 01-29-2018 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnaK (Post 639211)
....Gluten free,....

Innak, so far 33% of your posts have plugged "Gluten free".

You're on my watch list.

cbtengr 01-29-2018 17:25

I pulled the trigger today on a 6 QT Instant Pot. I have no idea as to what is Gluten, my tastes are more akin to Pork Shoulder, Baby Back Ribs, and Beef Roast :D .

Team Sergeant 01-29-2018 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 639293)
I pulled the trigger today on a 6 QT Instant Pot. I have no idea as to what is Gluten, my tastes are more akin to Pork Shoulder, Baby Back Ribs, and Beef Roast :D .

Except for the pressure cooker, we might be related. :)

G2squared 01-29-2018 23:22

Instant Pot

My wife got an Insta Pot for us a year ago. I was skeptical at first but she also bought plastic tubs to pre-mix ingredients. The first weekend we had it I spent 4 hours prepping meals and freezing them for quick, easy meals as our energy was down and time was limited for meal prep as our, then newborn, daughter took her share of our time. It was GREAT!! Plop the frozen blob in and let it cook for 5 min to melt ice and make some liquids then put the top on and let it cook for the appropriate time. My favorite for that is green chicken chili with white beans.
Since then I've been trying other recipes and like the quick results of Kalua Pork. Sure it's not the same as burying a pig in the ground for most of a day, but I don't have that kind of time.
I usually feel beef comes out needing salt, but it can make all meat falloff the bone tender!! Seasoning is a matter of personal preference but I think it requires a little time to sort out seasoning in the insta pot.
Any stove top pressure cooker cooking can be adapted to electric style pressure cookers and there are guides online. The difference is the pressure that they cook at. Electric systems go to a lower pressure and thus require more time. It's pretty nice to be able to add ingredients poke buttons and then let it do the rest, instead of having to continuously monitor pressure.

G2

InnaK 01-30-2018 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 639292)
Innak, so far 33% of your posts have plugged "Gluten free".

You're on my watch list.

I am sorry, Why???

Pete 01-30-2018 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnaK (Post 639317)
I am sorry, Why???

Reflect on the "Why" as you read more, post less and get a feel for this board.

Streck-Fu 01-30-2018 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 639293)

We have the 6qt as well and use it a lot. That said, I will caution you that it is not a replacement for proper slow cooking techniques. You can make pork shoulder and beef roast but the results are not the same. You do sacrifice quality of outcome for expediency.

It is very good for quicker meals (throw in some chicken, frozen even, with rice and broth after the kiddo's karate class and you have dinner done in half ano hour with one dirty pot).

It is good for broth, soups, etc and many other things.

As my wife tells every one that she knows that buys one and asks her what to make, "Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD".

Some things are great in an Instant Pot and others should only be made if you need that particular thing soon.

One of my favorites is Thai or Indian curries. Not quite the depth of flavor as the longer cooking method but for a quicker weekday dinner, it is more than acceptable. The whole house will smell like the spices when you vent the pressure.

Streck-Fu 01-30-2018 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnaK (Post 639211)
I don’t like washing Preasuure Cooker, it is kind of biggish and heavy.

If you have to wash the more than the inner bowl and lid, you may need new seals.

miclo18d 03-16-2020 07:00

1 Attachment(s)
I finally pulled the trigger and got an Instant Pot. It is a newer version that has an air fryer lid which gives you about 3 more cooking techniques. It will replace my crock pot that’s on its last leg and add a pressure cooker. It can also sous vide (I already have an Inova) and dehydrate.

Of course the trend is decorate it so........here’s the SF version....

bblhead672 03-16-2020 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by miclo18d (Post 656491)
I finally pulled the trigger and got an Instant Pot. It is a newer version that has an air fryer lid which gives you about 3 more cooking techniques. It will replace my crock pot that’s on its last leg and add a pressure cooker. It can also sous vide (I already have an Inova) and dehydrate.

Of course the trend is decorate it so........here’s the SF version....

I use my Instant Pot a lot. Now l'm looking around flea markets/auctions/garage sales for good quality stove top pressure cookers.

cbtengr 03-16-2020 12:32

miclo Congrats! I have had one for two years now, I will never boil water on the stove again for potatoes or pasta. Hard boiled eggs come out perfectly. No shortage of recipes on the web, no need to reinvent the wheel. Even my wife likes using it.

miclo18d 03-16-2020 14:36

Chili seems appropriate for a 1st go, I think!

Gypsy 03-21-2020 15:36

Late to the party, love my Instant Pot. It is easy to use and really takes no time at all to make most foods.

SF_BHT 03-21-2020 19:03

Finally pulled the trigger on one. Looking forward to trying it.....

Swoop 03-22-2020 06:10

We use our instapot quite a bit as well as the “air fryer”. The wife is researching and looking for the best combination appliance for the two iot reduce storage of both vs just one. Need those crispy fries and chicken wings. :)

Gypsy 03-22-2020 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swoop (Post 656843)
We use our instapot quite a bit as well as the “air fryer”. The wife is researching and looking for the best combination appliance for the two iot reduce storage of both vs just one. Need those crispy fries and chicken wings. :)

instant Pot has a fryer lid you can use!
https://www.target.com/p/instant-pot...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gypsy 03-22-2020 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF_BHT (Post 656819)
Finally pulled the trigger on one. Looking forward to trying it.....

B, check out https://pressureluckcooking.com/ this site has good recipes and a great tutorial on how to use it.

His chili recipe is OUTSTANDING.

SF_BHT 03-22-2020 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy (Post 656847)
B, check out https://pressureluckcooking.com/ this site has good recipes and a great tutorial on how to use it.

His chili recipe is OUTSTANDING.

Thanks looks good..... will have to try some of them....

P36 03-23-2020 19:50

I use one, but mostly to make homemade dog food quickly. It's great for that. 30 minutes and I have a weeks worth.

Swoop 03-24-2020 06:20

[QUOTE=Gypsy;656846]instant Pot has a fryer lid you can use!

Thanks Gypsy, we will definitely be looking at the air fryer lid and the recipe list you provided.

Gypsy 03-24-2020 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swoop (Post 657033)

Thanks Gypsy, we will definitely be looking at the air fryer lid and the recipe list you provided.

Swoop, they carry them at Target and probably some other places as well.

cbtengr 03-24-2020 18:26

Pinterest is also a great source for recipes and for that matter any other subject you may be interested in. Gypsy, good tip about getting a fryer lid, thanks! The first 3 months I had mine I used it every day.

abc_123 03-24-2020 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by P36 (Post 657015)
I use one, but mostly to make homemade dog food quickly. It's great for that. 30 minutes and I have a weeks worth.

If you are making your own dog food, why not go raw? Did that for our German Shepherd Dog and he thrived. Now we have a Cur dog (part Pit, Coonhound, Boxer, more coonhound, german shepherd, and a mix of other dogs) and my wife refuses to do raw. Doesn't want the effort and time and "grossness" to feed raw.

Gypsy 03-25-2020 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 657091)
Pinterest is also a great source for recipes and for that matter any other subject you may be interested in. Gypsy, good tip about getting a fryer lid, thanks! The first 3 months I had mine I used it every day.

I was excited to see that lid when it came out, B!