Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Here's a stick (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107)

Roguish Lawyer 03-25-2004 19:51

Here's a stick

Anybody in favor of reducing the legal restrictions on domestic SIGINT for purposes of the GWOT?

Surgicalcric 03-25-2004 20:04

Which ones?

shadowflyer 03-25-2004 20:09

I think he may be talking about monitoring Cell Phone traffic. I know in my former life ...we were not allowed to listen to the cell phone frequencies. I think normally you have to have a warrant to listen to cell phone stuff. The restrictions are only in effect in CONUS as far as I remember. I am still knocking the ole SIGINT and ELINT cobwebs out.

JJ

Yes I am in favor of it.

DunbarFC 03-25-2004 20:10

Quote:

Originally posted by Surgicalcric
Which ones?

Beat me to it

Give me some ideas of what you mean

Para 03-25-2004 20:30

Edited by Ambush Master.

This is borderline Opsec information. Please remember that this is a Public Forum.

Ambush Master 03-25-2004 21:19

Folks, Please remember that the GWOT IS CURRENTLY ONGOING !!!

How we gain the information that we use should not be taken lightly nor discussed freely !!

Thanks, and Take Care !!
Martin

Roguish Lawyer 03-25-2004 21:53

Quote:

Originally posted by Ambush Master
Folks, Please remember that the GWOT IS CURRENTLY ONGOING !!!

How we gain the information that we use should not be taken lightly nor discussed freely !!

Thanks, and Take Care !!
Martin

Good point. Perhaps this thread should be closed.

Ambush Master 03-25-2004 22:04

Quote:

Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Good point. Perhaps this thread should be closed.
Negative, this needs to stand as a reminder that this is not a game, and that we are still ENGAGED !!!

Take care ALL !!
Martin

Radar Rider 03-26-2004 01:59

I don't think that this thread should remain open at all, unless the discussion goes to general Global War on Terror vice domestic....issues.

CommoGeek 03-26-2004 07:47

Interesting discussion, but as long as OPSEC and TTP's aren't discussed, I think it is good to go.

Cell phone conversations: Tap 'em all you want if you have a warrant.

Computer Traffic: Do you have a search warrant? If so, giddyup. As I understand search warrants they have to be pretty specific. Perhaps an LEO can enlighten me there if I'm wrong.

QRQ 30 03-26-2004 07:53

NO!!! This isn't the Soviet Union. Most totalitarian governments started under the guise of "Protecting the People"!!

Team Sergeant 03-26-2004 09:40

Quote:

Originally posted by QRQ 30
NO!!! This isn't the Soviet Union. Most totalitarian governments started under the guise of "Protecting the People"!!
Good point and a question;

How do we know when enough is enough? How would we know if we've crossed the line?

NousDefionsDoc 03-26-2004 09:50

Do you have a reasonable expectation of privacy when using government controlled radio and cell phone frequencies or the internet?

I dont think so. I just assume somebody is reading the mail and listening. If its not the government it will be the bad guys or some hacker.

CommoGeek 03-26-2004 10:10

If internet and cell phone traffic were opened up, how much would the government be able to monitor? The amount of traffic generated by those two methods is staggering so the process would have to be automated. Failing that, to tap a line you'd need specific reasons for doing so and you'd have to place an agent on those freqs.

I think opening those methods up would overwhelm a probably very busy group of intel services. As TS put it, though, how much is enough? What is the line?

brownapple 03-26-2004 10:44

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Do you have a reasonable expectation of privacy when using government controlled radio and cell phone frequencies or the internet?

I dont think so. I just assume somebody is reading the mail and listening. If its not the government it will be the bad guys or some hacker.

I feel the same. Anyone who thinks that they have privacy on the internet or on their cell phone is kidding themselves.