Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Base Camp (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MACV-SOG Roll Call (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792)

Roguish Lawyer 05-14-2004 17:05

MACV-SOG Roll Call

I am a Viet Nam history buff, and it has been a real pleasure being able to bounce periodic questions off of BMT, Ambush Master and QRQ 30. I am curious who served in MACV-SOG, where they served, what teams or other units they were in, and -- of course -- any stories they are willing to tell!

So this is the SOG Roll Call thread. Anything any of you are willing to post would be great. And whether you post or not, thank you for your extraordinary service to our country. I and many others are deeply grateful.

Ambush Master 05-14-2004 17:20

RL, I'll open it.

I ran on RT New York out of CCC in Kontum. I was there 1970/71 timeframe while John Plaster was flying Covey and Bob Howard was the Recon Company CO. My 60mm story and the Brightlight AAR in the Briefback Forum were from that period. The Brightlight AAR happened while I was a student at the MACVSOG Recon Teamleaders School therefore called One Zero School. That school was mandatory before you would be allowed to run Cross-Border Operations. They wanted all of the Americans on the team to be able to take the team over if need be. After you read Plaster's Books, you can see why.

Take care.
Martin

Roguish Lawyer 05-20-2004 11:16

Thanks, Martin. Looks like others don't want to play. Oh, well.

If it helps, I'm not going to be PMing those who respond every five minutes with annoying, stupid questions. :)

Smokin Joe 05-20-2004 12:06

Quote:

Originally posted by Ambush Master
RL, I'll open it.

I ran on RT New York out of CCC in Kontum. I was there 1970/71 timeframe while John Plaster was flying Covey and Bob Howard was the Recon Company CO. My 60mm story and the Brightlight AAR in the Briefback Forum were from that period. The Brightlight AAR happened while I was a student at the MACVSOG Recon Teamleaders School therefore called One Zero School. That school was mandatory before you would be allowed to run Cross-Border Operations. They wanted all of the Americans on the team to be able to take the team over if need be. After you read Plaster's Books, you can see why.

Take care.
Martin

I just started Plasters book the other night. Wow, Simply Wow. You men are freaking amazing. Thank you for your service and HUGE BRASS BALLS!

BMT (RIP) 05-20-2004 16:47

MACV-SOG Roll Call

MLS Quan Loi Oct '69-Dec '69

MLS North Dec '69- Jul '70

CCS S-3 Op Sgt. Jul '70- Sep '70

BMT
Jr. FOG

QRQ 30 05-22-2004 06:31

FOB-2 1-0 ST Deleware.
FOB-3 1-0 ST Bear
FOB-2 1-0Special Projects Team Cutlass

Time Frame 1968. Didn't have no foogin 1-0 school. Learned OJT. Short OJT since my 1-0 was KIA in the first 24 hours.

As I have said on other boards, SF Soldiers are flexible and adaptable.

The shower/wash room at Kontum was named after my 1-0 -- Martin's Manor.

The latrine was named after the first MOH recipient -- Sisler's Shitters.

QRQ 30 05-22-2004 16:20

Lrt me clarify the above. I have nothing against 1-0 school. It is just a fact that it didn't exist in 1968. If it did, I may have never had the opportunity to run recon since I was assigned as an 05B/05C.

I believe the purpose was standardization of commo, air ops, various methods of insertion and extraction etc. The first time I saw a McGuire rig (I was also pre-STABO) was for an emercency extraction. OTOH a recon man has to be able to think on the run. There were no two missions the same for me.

Unfortunately "standardization" was also a stumbling block. The bad guys new the approximate time between a VR and insertion for wxample.

I hope I haven't screwed up the roll call!!

NousDefionsDoc 05-22-2004 17:52

Its an honor gentlemen, and I mean that with all my heart.

AmericanPride 06-01-2004 13:09

It's a great honor, and I too mean that with all my heart. We are very fortunate to have men such as yourselves here.

Brushmonkey 06-01-2004 21:13

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I second that.

Ambush Master 06-01-2004 21:55

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Not nearly as much as still being here !!!! Having this Forum to share all of our thoughts, THIS REALLY MAKES IT WORTH IT !!!!

From the Mugs that I drink my coffee, everyday: "YOU HAVE NEVER LIVED UNTIL YOU HAVE ALMOST DIED. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT, LIFE (AND FREEDOM) HAS A SPECIAL FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW."

It's an Honor to be a part of this endeavor !!

Take care all.
Martin

Lancer33 06-21-2004 05:20

1 Attachment(s)
The attached lists almost all of the RT's from CCN circa 71.

rwt_bkk 06-21-2004 10:41

SOG

Well guess I can finally qualify for something!

CCN Aug 69-70
11 RT North Carolina
11 RT Kansas
Squad Leader HF (A Company - I think CRS again) just one mission and out...
MLT2 and HICKORY RR
(yeah I got around - but it wasn't always my choice).

lurch 07-18-2004 18:47

I served with MACVSOG at CCN August 1970-August 1971

Recon Teams Python - Klaus Bingham 10 and Virginia - Keith Messinger 10. Then worked for "No Toes Dover" at the Phu Bai launch site. Lots of stories but don't know what sort you want to hear.

Team Sergeant 07-18-2004 19:15

Quote:

Originally posted by lurch
Lots of stories but don't know what sort you want to hear.
All of them that you care to tell.

Team Sergeant