Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   In Memory Of (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Vance, Gene A., SSG, MI (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137)

The Reaper 01-24-2004 19:15

Vance, Gene A., SSG, MI

Sgt. Gene Arden Vance Jr. was honored in his hometown Sunday, May 26, at a public memorial service at West Virginia University’s Mountainlair Ballrooms on the Downtown Morgantown Campus. Vance, 38, was killed May 19, 2002 in eastern Afghanistan near Shkin, when his unit came under fire from suspected al-Qaeda or Taliban forces. He served in the 2nd Battalion of the 19th Special Forces Unit based in Kenova, W.Va.

Vance was promoted to the rank of staff sergeant (E-6) and awarded the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his role in the war on terrorism. He had already earned a Bronze Star for previous service.

Vance’s widow, Lisa, received the West Virginia state flag from Gov. Bob Wise, and WVU President David C. Hardesty Jr. presented her with an honorary diploma for a Regents Bachelor of Arts degree posthumously.

Hardesty said WVU was proud and honored to participate in this memorial service. "Sgt. Gene Vance was one of ours. He attended WVU from 1991-1995 and had re-enrolled last fall but was called to active duty after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. While I did not know him then, I feel as though I know him now. I have learned that he was a proud and dedicated soldier, a devoted husband to Lisa, a dedicated father to Amber and a wonderful son, brother and friend. He gave his life for America and for that we thank him, but we will miss him."

Vance was the first member of the West Virginia National Guard to die while on active duty since World War II. His unit, which has deployed 236 troops to the Middle East, is the nation’s highest-rated group of its kind.

The McDowell County native graduated from Oceana High School in Wyoming County in 1981. He served in the Army before returning to West Virginia to attend WVU in the early 1990s. He later joined the National Guard and also worked at the Whitetail Bicycle and Fitness Center in Morgantown.

An avid outdoorsman, he enjoyed mountain biking, backpacking and whitewater paddling. He also loved live music performances, especially the music of Dick Dale.

Approximately 1,000 people attended the Sunday service, including the Vance family and state and national military and government officials. A memorial fund has been established at Wesbanco - Sabraton branch, 1350 Earl Core Road, Morgantown, WV 26505. Donations may be directed to the Sgt. Gene A. Vance, Jr. Memorial Fund.

The Reaper 01-24-2004 19:16

1 Attachment(s)
Photo.

swpa19 05-19-2009 09:01

SSG. Gene Vance 19th SFG(A) WVNG (MI)

1 Attachment(s)
SSG Gene A. Vance Jr.
30 November 1963 - 19 May 2002

R.I.P. Gene. Your missed by friends and team mates.

booker 05-19-2009 09:14

Damn it has been 7 years. Rest in Peace brother, I miss our conversations and rides at Cooper's.

JJ_BPK 05-19-2009 09:19

RIP, SSG Vance, Vaya con Dios

Rogue 05-19-2009 12:39

Rest in Peace

Red Flag 1 05-19-2009 12:40

Rest In Peace SSG Vance!

Thank you for your service!

SF_BHT 05-19-2009 13:43

Rest In Peace SSG Vance

TOMAHAWK9521 05-19-2009 14:05

Vance was a good guy. RIP brother.

greenberetTFS 05-19-2009 19:04

Gone,but not forgotten.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw - Cached

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....:(

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......:(

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........:(

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion..:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy

Savoy6 05-20-2009 10:31

Blue Skies...

Enigma0122 05-20-2009 11:53

Rest in Peace. Warrior.

booker 05-19-2010 19:11

Another year, still seems like yesterday. Rest in peace brother, you are missed.

booker 05-19-2011 18:49

It's been 9 years brother - I've begun to tell your stories to your namesake (he's finally old enough) - he's starting to understand why you were thought so highly of by all of us. It was an honor to have known you.

wet dog 05-19-2011 19:29

Rest in Peace brother, you're missed by many.