Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Early Bird (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Special Units Do The Dirty Work "Bearded Bastards." (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35808)

Badger52 11-10-2011 07:54

Special Units Do The Dirty Work "Bearded Bastards."

USA Today
November 10, 2011

In Afghanistan, Special Units Do The Dirty Work
But can gains in security last beyond withdrawal?

By Carmen Gentile, Special for USA Today

CHAMKANI, Afghanistan -- Insurgents prowling the steep mountains and narrow valleys of this remote land have a name for the U.S. Special Forces: "Bearded Bastards."

Growing facial hair is one way U.S. Green Berets blend in among the locals here along the Pakistan border. Their specialty is what the military calls the "self-sustaining element," a force able to fight for long periods in extreme conditions.

"We operate in the seams and gaps where conventional forces can't go," says Maj. Eric Wright, a Special Forces advance operational base commander in nearby Khost Province.

More at the LINK HERE.

:lifter

Guy 11-10-2011 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 423825)
CHAMKANI, Afghanistan -- Insurgents prowling the steep mountains and narrow valleys of this remote land have a name for the U.S. Special Forces: "Bearded Bastards.":eek:

The "Bone-clone" administration must be furious! :D :lifter

Stay safe.

Team Sergeant 11-10-2011 09:21

Special Forces, aka, The Green Berets, "Bearded Bastards."

I'm impressed to say the least. A news reporter actually made the link (correctly) between "Special Forces" and the "Green Beret's"...... Well done Carmen Gentile.
Team Sergeant

By Carmen Gentile, Special for USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/a...0/1?csp=34news

mark46th 11-10-2011 09:24

I like the blending in element. When I got to SE Asia, I was told to blend in and keep a low profile. I am 6'4" and weighed 225 pounds back then. Kinda hard to blend in to a population where the average height was 5'4"....

greenberetTFS 11-10-2011 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 423841)
I'm impressed to say the least. A news reporter actually made the link (correctly) between "Special Forces" and the "Green Beret's"...... Well done Carmen Gentile.
Team Sergeant

By Carmen Gentile, Special for USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/a...0/1?csp=34news

:lifter:lifter:lifter

Big Teddy :munchin

greenberetTFS 11-10-2011 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 423843)
I lkie the blending in element. When I got to SE Asia, I was told to blend in and keep a low profile. I am 6'4" and weighed 225 pounds back then. Kinda hard to blend in to a population where the average height was 5'4"....

I had the same problem,I was 6'1" and 245 pounds back in the day and to top it off I had blond hair.............;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Guy 11-10-2011 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 423843)
I lkie the blending in element. When I got to SE Asia, I was told to blend in and keep a low profile. I am 6'4" and weighed 225 pounds back then. Kinda hard to blend in to a population where the average height was 5'4"....

I'm 5'10", 185lbs. with a tan from hell!:eek: And some folks didn't realize that I blended-in, in AFRICA!:eek::D

"Talk about institutionalized thinking...." :confused:

Stay safe.

Ret10Echo 11-10-2011 11:01

"Bearded Bastards" has a nice ring to it though... (for those who can grow a respectable beard :D )

triguy18e 11-10-2011 11:09

Interesting story, spent 7 months in Chamkani.

Richard 11-10-2011 11:21

I'm waiting for the upcoming movie version - "Inglorious MFers" - watch for it.

Early morning. A small farm compound in Afghanistan. Two bearded SF soldiers, a Medic and the Team Sergeant, are kneeling outside a nondescript stone-walled structure, watching and waiting.

Medic - "Ever wonder whether we'll ever leave this place, Top?"

Team Sergeant - "We'll be here fighting until hell freezes over...and then we'll be here fighting them on the ice. Ever learn to skate, Doc?"

And so it goes...

Richard
:munchin

69harley 11-10-2011 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 423830)
The "Bone-clone" administration must be furious! :D :lifter

Stay safe.

'Bone Clone', have not heard that name in years. As long as it is out, might as well throw in 'Rambo' as well. You know wherever they are they are both hating everything about this.

BOfH 11-10-2011 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 423841)
Team Sergeant

Some Google-Fu shows that he has spent some time embedded with SF, he was wounded by an RPG in 2010. I guess whomever he was embedded with taught him well. :D :lifter

SF18C 11-10-2011 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret10Echo (Post 423857)
"Bearded Bastards" has a nice ring to it though... (for those who can grow a respectable beard :D )

I'm 43 Y.O. and still can't!

stickey 11-10-2011 18:39

Popped my cherry there.

Dragbag036 11-10-2011 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 423853)
I'm 5'10", 185lbs. with a tan from hell!:eek: And some folks didn't realize that I blended-in, in AFRICA!:eek::D

"Talk about institutionalized thinking...." :confused:

Stay safe.

I got the same problem...and I was 1/10. I once had a TL tell some local in Kosovo that I was a Africana American Soldaten. I wanted to beat his arsch. I'm AMERICAN DAMN IT!!!