Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Medical (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cataract surgery (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54888)

Gypsy 06-06-2020 16:07

Cataract surgery

So looks like I will need cataract surgery in the left eye (right one not too bad so will wait for that one) I have a consult with the surgeon on Wednesday for all the scoop. Read up on the procedure and most definitely am not thrilled I'll be awake when they come at my eye with the numbing needle.

I don't know anyone who's had this surgery so just curious to hear about the experience if you're willing to share.

My pain threshold on a scale of 1-10 is a big fat zero :rolleyes: Hopefully it won't be too uncomfortable?

Thanks.

cbtengr 06-06-2020 17:43

Never had eye surgery, we share the same tolerance for pain. When it is over please share your experience with us. It is inevitable that I too will have it one of these days. Good luck with it Gypsy I know it will go well!

Paslode 06-06-2020 20:17

I have never had cataract surgery, but my mother has. Post-op pain was minimal. As I recall her biggest complaint was itching/irritation, which led her to rubbing her eye, which led to a infection.

tom kelly 06-06-2020 20:51

Catarack Surgery:

No big deal, easier than root canal. Feels like cold running water over your eye. Surgeon does one eye & come back in 1 week for the other eye. Not many restrictions, wear dark glasses, & you can't drive home after surgery. After @ 5 days post 2nd surgery AMAZING RESULTS, you can read font the size used in phone books, newspaper & magazine print no problem. depth perception returns and your eyesight is better than it ever was, At least for me it still is & I had both eyes done 10 years ago.... Never had a problem .. .Good Luck

Badger52 06-07-2020 04:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom kelly (Post 659505)
No big deal, easier than root canal. Feels like cold running water over your eye. Surgeon does one eye & come back in 1 week for the other eye. Not many restrictions, wear dark glasses, & you can't drive home after surgery. After @ 5 days post 2nd surgery AMAZING RESULTS, you can read font the size used in phone books, newspaper & magazine print no problem. depth perception returns and your eyesight is better than it ever was, At least for me it still is & I had both eyes done 10 years ago.... Never had a problem .. .Good Luck

Pretty much the wife's experience. She wore a bandage/patch for a short time; must've been "Pirate Week" or something... ARRRR! Felt strange; results amazing. She reports colors pop like she hadn't seen in years. Also, having selected the long-distance version of the lens for replacement, she now has Chuck Yeager vision and points out wildlife to me across fields when we go for drives. Depending on the lens some may still wear "cheaters" for reading glasses. Depends on what's important & discussions you've had with your Doc.

Best wishes & let us know how it goes.

Swoop 06-07-2020 06:09

Best of luck Gypsy and a quick recovery.

JJ_BPK 06-07-2020 06:16

Good Luck with the operation.
:lifter
Prayers for success :D

Gypsy 06-07-2020 07:40

Thanks for all the responses and wishes! I will report back about my experience after the surgery. (hopefully the last week of June for the first eye) :lifter

mark46th 06-07-2020 08:50

The actual procedure takes about 15 minutes with no pain. If you wear glasses, you can have a corrective lens inserted. I have had both eyes done with corrective lens inserted in each eye. Best thing I could have done. When the bandages were removed, it was like a light switch had been flipped. Instant 20/20 vision.

Paslode 06-07-2020 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 659517)
The actual procedure takes about 15 minutes with no pain. If you wear glasses, you can have a corrective lens inserted. I have had both eyes done with corrective lens inserted in each eye. Best thing I could have done. When the bandages were removed, it was like a light switch had been flipped. Instant 20/20 vision.

Very nice!

PRB 06-07-2020 13:52

In and out with no pain I can remember at all...fine the next day for vision too...just put eye drops in for a bit...one a steroid one for discomfort I believe.

Piece of cake...

BTW...a lot of you younger guys will have early onset cataracts if you've had head trauma.... just sayin....

Gypsy 06-07-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 659517)

Thanks! I planned to ask about the corrective lenses. One eye is near sighted one is farsighted and I have astigmatism so I have that going for me. :D I actually like wearing glasses but we'll see.

PRB my regular eye doc had told me there will be a couple of different drops to use afterward for a bit. Thank you!

PRB 06-07-2020 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy (Post 659535)
Thanks! I planned to ask about the corrective lenses. One eye is near sighted one is farsighted and I have astigmatism so I have that going for me. :D I actually like wearing glasses but we'll see.

PRB my regular eye doc had told me there will be a couple of different drops to use afterward for a bit. Thank you!

You are getting new lenses...think of a M&N candy....the hard shell is your lens now...they remove the chocolate and replace it with a lens with little wings that hold it in place.....I have 20/20 vision but that depends upon the Guy working up the lens make up.
The only after effect is a haloing during nite driving...and your nite vision will not be as acute...obviously that lens can't adapt as your normal one can....I'm good with it tho and you can adapt to it.

PSM 06-07-2020 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRB (Post 659537)
The only after effect is a haloing during nite driving...and your nite vision will not be as acute...obviously that lens can't adapt as your normal one can....I'm good with it tho and you can adapt to it.

My wife wants to get them, too, but her night vision sucks now. Turns out it's even worse when she forgets to take her clip-ons off at night. Are you sure you didn't leave yours on? :D

Trapper John 06-08-2020 05:24

Good luck Gypsy! XO had repair of a macular hole. Piece of cake amd she has zero pain tolerance too. Best wishes for a fast recovery.:D