Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Library (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   An Enormous Crime (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14738)

Jack Moroney (RIP) 06-11-2007 04:15

An Enormous Crime

"An Enormous Crime:The definitive account of American POWs Abandoned in Southeast Asia" Authors: Former US Rep Bill Hendon (R-NC) and Elizabeth Stewart.

If you want a cholesterol clearing, absolutely depressing, maddening, enfuriating, book to read, read this. You know when you find a book that your just do not want to put down because you have to find out what the main character is going to do next? Well this is not one of those books. This is one of those books that you have to put down to reflect on what you just read. It is one of those books that you know you have to pick up and read but do not really want to know what you are going to read next. It is one of those books that absolutely convinces you that there are very few career politicians that are worthy of licking the sweat ring that forms on the leather of your jungle boots. It is one of those books that tells you exactly why those of us that "spent too much time with troops" hate those that sought and kept jobs in Washington, DC either within the bowels of the five-sided concrete sphincter or within the various agencies and departments. It is one of those books that will show you exactly why folks like Powell, McCain, Kerry, usw should never be CINC. It is a book that tells every person in uniform that you will be betrayed by civilian and military bureaucrats with special agendas that expect you to die to keep them in power. So if you are looking for a book to read, kicked back in your recliner while sipping an amber colored adult beverage to relax and sort of loose yourself in, do not read this book.

Ret10Echo 06-11-2007 04:25

So Sir, this is suitable for reading between iterations on the pistol range?

Jack Moroney (RIP) 06-11-2007 04:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret10Echo
So Sir, this is suitable for reading between iterations on the pistol range?

Actually no, you are going to be so pissed that your eyes will water and you will not be able to see your front site blade.

Hipshot 06-11-2007 06:34

If it's really as bad as Col M says, I'd recommend using the book as a target - pictures of your 'favorite' politicians optional.

incommin 06-11-2007 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipshot
If it's really as bad as Col M says, I'd recommend using the book as a target - pictures of your 'favorite' politicians optional.

Why destroy the messenger? A book that informs or moves people to thought should not be destroyed. No photos of politicians, that's another story!

We have the government in DC that we deserve because we keep re-electing them. Polls say that we think they stink, that they are self serving, and that we want our elected officials to do more than work 3 days a week and party. But we will not band together and change the mess we have allowed to grow.

Jim

The Reaper 06-11-2007 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by incommin
Why destroy the messenger? A book that informs or moves people to thought should not be destroyed. No photos of politicians, that's another story!

We have the government in DC that we deserve because we keep re-electing them. Polls say that we think they stink, that they are self serving, and that we want our elected officials to do more than work 3 days a week and party. But we will not band together and change the mess we have allowed to grow.

Jim

True.

Most people hate every person in Congree except for theirs, and they don't care enough about them to get off their asses and do anything, including voting.

If people knew the cost of a free and open election, they would vote in every one at much higher numbers than they do now.

We have far too many complacent (and entitled) citizens and bought politicians in this country.

We all know that the North kept POWs after the war as bargaining chips, as they did with the French and we never went back for them.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP) 06-11-2007 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper
We all know that the North kept POWs after the war as bargaining chips, as they did with the French and we never went back for them.

TR

True, but it is the cover up, the failure of those to act that should have acted, and the total break of faith with each and everyone of us that have worn the uniform from that time until the present and ,unfortunately if some of those in power stay there, for those who will take up the torch in the future. Assuming that all of this is true, as it appears to be from the extensive documentation and research, it is unfortunate that there is not a way that those that have passed away could be dug up and shot and those that are still alive be forced to stand naked in the amphitheater in Arlington where they can hear the changing of the guard protecting the tomb of the unknowns until their flesh rots from their bones and not removed until the rats have picked them clean.

Shar 06-11-2007 10:19

What can be done?

I don't understand. Call me idealistic and naive, why on earth can't something be done? We spend hours and hours of news cycles on Paris Hilton's prison ordeal but THIS doesn't make the news? You'd think someone in the media would have picked this one up and run with it given the names involved. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I feel like I've been punched in the gut and I haven't read the book yet.

kgoerz 06-11-2007 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shar
I don't understand. Call me idealistic and naive, why on earth can't something be done? We spend hours and hours of news cycles on Paris Hilton's prison ordeal but THIS doesn't make the news? You'd think someone in the media would have picked this one up and run with it given the names involved. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I feel like I've been punched in the gut and I haven't read the book yet.

I know many have negative opinions about Haney's Inside Delta Force Book. But he is the only one who I can quote. He has a very interesting chapter about what you are asking. His credibility aside, other people have voiced very similar comments. Nothing in US Military history compares to this. There just aren't words to describe it.
Maybe a cause but by no means an excuse. Vietnam was a dark period in our history. Not just the War, but thats what most considered to be the biggest issue dividing America then. Now the War ends. Everyone wants to put it behind them, just like when all Wars end. No one wants to hear the word Vietnam War.
Now you have people bringing up the possibility of living POW'S still in Vietnam. Not only that, also saying the Government knows about POW'S left behind. No one wanted to listen. The more time that passed the less likely someone would listen. Hard to even think about it.
Whats the name of the Book you are reading Sir?

Jack Moroney (RIP) 06-11-2007 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgoerz
Whats the name of the Book you are reading Sir?

An Enormous Crime-just came out this month. They also have a web site going up on this whole business that adds continuously to what the book already has provided. One of the author's comes from your home state, former representative Hendon.

Karl.Masters 06-11-2007 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
"An Enormous Crime:The definitive account of American POWs Abandoned in Southeast Asia" Authors: Former US Rep Bill Hendon (R-NC) and Elizabeth Stewart.

If you want a cholesterol clearing, absolutely depressing, maddening, enfuriating, book to read, read this. You know when you find a book that your just do not want to put down because you have to find out what the main character is going to do next? Well this is not one of those books. This is one of those books that you have to put down to reflect on what you just read. It is one of those books that you know you have to pick up and read but do not really want to know what you are going to read next. It is one of those books that absolutely convinces you that there are very few career politicians that are worthy of licking the sweat ring that forms on the leather of your jungle boots. It is one of those books that tells you exactly why those of us that "spent too much time with troops" hate those that sought and kept jobs in Washington, DC either within the bowels of the five-sided concrete sphincter or within the various agencies and departments. It is one of those books that will show you exactly why folks like Powell, McCain, Kerry, usw should never be CINC. It is a book that tells every person in uniform that you will be betrayed by civilian and military bureaucrats with special agendas that expect you to die to keep them in power. So if you are looking for a book to read, kicked back in your recliner while sipping an amber colored adult beverage to relax and sort of loose yourself in, do not read this book.

Sir,

I remember this feeling from reading "Kiss the Boys Goodbye".

I had the honor of meeting MAJ Mark Smith when I was assigned to 5th.

He recounted betrayals that moved him to sue the president.

That was in 85-86.

And here we are.

Karl

Roguish Lawyer 06-11-2007 19:03

I just ordered it. Here is the Amazon link for others who want to:

http://www.amazon.com/Enormous-Crime...1614921&sr=8-1

Gypsy 06-11-2007 19:05

Thanks RL, was just looking it up. And thank you, Colonel, for the information on the book.

Roycroft201 06-12-2007 00:20

Although I do not know if he is a member here at PS.com, the comments made by Robert L. Noe on the Amazon site regarding An Enormous Crime are powerful, as well.

RC201